Welcome to PatsFans.com

[Merged] Vollmer's Back Situation: [Edit] With 6/12 Bedard Update

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by RayClay, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +640 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

I had thought he was being held out because of his back, but apparently he has an ankle issue (from last year?) I kind of lost track of his injuries, but back issues scare me so if he's just staying off an ankle and the back's OK, that's great news. Anyone know?

Here's Reiss's helpers column.

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -13

#12 Jersey

Perhaps they were telling the truth that the back wasn't as big an issue as it seemed (because the ankle was part of the problem).

Back + ankle is probably better news than greater back problems alone.
  3. Walpole Pats Fan

Walpole Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

From everything I've read about his current status the main source has been from Bedard saying that he's out to ease him back into due to the ankle injury.

He hurt his ankle against the Eagles in late November and was in a walking boot/cast until the week before the Superbowl from what I remember. I wouldn't be surprised if he had surgery on it right after the Superbowl like Gronk did.
  4. Simple Jack's Brother

Simple Jack's Brother Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

Correct me if i'm wrong, but he played in the Superbowl right? Can't imagine they would've allowed that if there was the possibility of damaging him long term.
  5. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +640 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

People play their whole career with nagging back injuries. I'm sure Vrabel did off and on his last years and i know McGinest lost serious time early in his career. Hopefully Vollmer just had a flare up.
  6. BB4PRez

BB4PRez Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

The gossip I hear is Vollmer's back is a serious issue. I don't believe it is the ankle that is keeping him off the field, but I am a skeptical about any injury information I hear from the Pats at any time. When healthy the guy can be really good. I hope offseason core training keeps him on the field.

Betweeen Soldier's concusions and Volmer's back there are some questions about the Pats at tackle. I like Cannon and think he will a be a solid player. I think Cannon can handle the right side and expect him to see some playing time this year. Matt Light was incredibly durable.
  7. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +640 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

While you're hanging out the laundry, or do you gossip with people in the NFL?
  8. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +544 / 0 / -2

More detail would be nice.

Vollmer has a long history of back problems. He missed the entire 2006 season at Houston because of back troubles requiring surgery, but then he started 25 consecutive games in 2007 and 2008, and he played in 30 regular season games his first 2 seasons with the Pats. As with Rob Gronkowski, I'm sure the team checked him out thoroughly prior to the 2009 draft. Without more information it's hard to know how serious Vollmer's back issue is - based on his history I'm not surprised that he has had some repeat issues, but it's tough to judge how serious it all is.
  9. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +640 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

Thanks for the info.
  10. jimmydasaint

jimmydasaint Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Probably get grief for this, may mean nothing, but Ive seen him a few times around town. In Church, he was visibly uncomfortable. Was around time of voluntary mini camp so may have just been sore from working out but he def did not look compfortable just sitting there.
  11. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -1

For me that goes without saying.
  12. Walpole Pats Fan

Walpole Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

Here's my grief...
    Pews aren't comfortable to me in the first place, but imagining if I were 6'8" like Vollmer takes it to a whole new level!
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  13. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +900 / 8 / -2

#11 Jersey

I was once flying standby and got onto a plane with one other last-minute passenger: Rony Seikaly, an NBA center at the time. He was flying business class, of course -- coach would have been impossible -- but even so, I remember the pained look in his eyes as they guided him to the one remaining seat, a window seat in the back corner, fully beneath a big luggage bin.

For guys that size, the world must often seem like a series of cruel jokes perpetrated by small people.
  14. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +544 / 0 / -2

I sat across from Terry Bradshaw in first class once 20 some years ago, and his ego made it seem very cramped.
  15. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,295 / 15 / -18

I tried to ask this girl about her back problem but stopped when I realized she didn't really have a back problem after all....

[​IMG]
  16. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Bedard: Vollmer did have a back procedure and details of Gronks deal

This will naturally put his contract on the back burner at least through the start of the season. Even then they will probably want protection against further durability issues built into any long term deal.

He also has the details of Gronk's contract:

Back ailment sidelines Patriots lineman Vollmer - The Boston Globe
  17. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +571 / 16 / -8

#91 Jersey

Re: Bedard: Vollmer did have a back procedure and details of Gronks deal

I wouldn't be surprised if the back "procedure" was old news. Something that was done in February or March and just being reported now. Not surprising given the problems he had last season. Still, he's been here all off season and has been seen in the weight room, so its not all bad. We still have 4 more months to go before the season starts. I'm betting this is not a PUP situation and Volmer will be back in time to participate in at least some of TC.
  18. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I don't think Bedard was intimating anything had just happened, but something did happen in the first three months of the off season, two somethings actually in Vollmer's case. Over the last two weeks fans were concerned as media attended OTA's and reports emerged on players being held out. We were assured it was an ankle in Vollmer's case, and that may remain the issue, but it's something to be noted that the back is still a concern. Seabass was very durable out of the gate, lately not so much. So the situation bears watching going forward as it may well impact from a roster and contractual standpoint. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start camp on PUP. Hopefully though he's cleared in the first week and it's clear sailing from there on out.

And FYI it's less than 3 months to the season now, and 2 months to pre season and closing in on 6 weeks to TC.
  19. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0

Besides the heat, that's another reason to want summer over with.
  20. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

We haven't had much heat yet, and I for one don't miss it, except in out of psynch spurts in between periods of raw and sometimes monsoonish rains. April was June. May was April. June's been a combination of the two thus far. God only knows what July will entail. August could well herald October with summer finally making a brief appearance in September. Wonder if we will experience another snowless winter or get buried this year...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.