Mel Kiper's 4 Round Mock 4/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats get:

24 Paul Posloszny
28 Michael Griffin
91 Lorenzo Booker
127 Zak DeOssie

FWIW. I've seen worse. Not in love w/ it, but I could live w/ it.

Edit: add link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=2833079
sub. required

Only pick I don't like is Pos at 24. I like Griffin at 28, really like Booker, and I like DeOssie in the fourth round. I would take DeOssie in the fourth, but I don't like the idea of taking him any higher.

I could live with this draft.

I'm OK with it. Not thrilled with Booker. Would prefer a LB like Waters who I think would play inside for us than Deossie who I see outside.

I've seen worse, though.

Live with it?!? I'd love it.

Somehow, I believe we'll get something very different. Something entirely unpredictable, like...

1a TE Greg Olsen
1b WR Anthony Gonzalez
3 FB Le'Ron Mclain
4 CB Tavarous Bain

Can you imaging the uproar on this site? Especially if Reggie Nelson (who I dont want, but everyone else seems to) is on the board at #24 and gets passed up? This draft looks ridiculous now... but it's not totally off base.

Booker would be a nice pick. Pozluzny smells like a bust. Every highlight they show of this guy is when he is tackling 10+ yards downfield after the ball carrier has run away from him and is in the process of getting tackled by of defenders only to leave Pozluzny to clean up. DeOssie would be nice as well. Griffin in the first round seems reasonable.

I'm OK with it. Not thrilled with Booker. Would prefer a LB like Waters who I think would play inside for us than Deossie who I see outside.

I've seen worse, though.

I agree with you on Waters. I'd take DeOssie in the fourth, but I like Waters more.

I agree with you on Waters. I'd take DeOssie in the fourth, but I like Waters more.

I don't. I think Waters is the next Ted Johnson while I think that DeOssie has Mike Vrabel potential.

I'm not sold on Poz as a 1st rounder for the Pats system however this mock does not have me wanting to kill myself due to the other picks.

Pats get:

24 Paul Posloszny
28 Michael Griffin
91 Lorenzo Booker
127 Zak DeOssie

FWIW. I've seen worse. Not in love w/ it, but I could live w/ it.

Edit: add link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=2833079
sub. required

I'd be delighted with this draft . It's too good to be true. ILB, S, KF clone RB, and OLB?/ILB candidate.

Just what is nneeded for the team. Add Danny Sepulveda P, Paul Soliai NT, and Jeff Rowe QB and it would be perfect.

why is everyone so up on Booker? He seems like a Morris or Faulk type back and we already have 2 of those. What we need is a big back to take over goal line duties.

why is everyone so up on Booker? He seems like a Morris or Faulk type back and we already have 2 of those. What we need is a big back to take over goal line duties.

Sorry, but you Morris and Faulk are not even from the same mold.

Faulk is a 3rd down/ change of pace back.
Morris is a reserve RB who has shown he can occasionally carry a load. Morris is also 6' and 218. He is a bit of a bigger back. In fact, he's not that different than Maroney in build.

NOW, Something you seem to have overlooked is that Faulk has been injured in each of the last 3 years. Also, Faulk turns 31 this year. Though he has 3 more years on his contract, I find it very unlikely the Pats keep him if he gets injured again.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Isn't Sammy Morris up to something like 220lbs, now? I know he's listed at 6'0" 218lbs on NFL.com
26567254.jpg

Also, this is the same Sammy Morris who ran for 123yds and scored one TD against NE this past December. Morris is also a good special teamer.

I like DeOssie in the fourth round. I would take DeOssie in the fourth, but I don't like the idea of taking him any higher.

I'm not sure he'll be there in the 4th, at 127. I hope he is though.

I signed up for a(nother) 30-day free trial to espn insider. Kiper also has going:
CB Aaron Ross 25 to jest
FS Reggie Nelson 26 to Eagles
CB Chris Houston 27 to NO
LB Jon Beason 38 to Cardinals
DE Anthony Spencer 41 to Vikings
ILB David Harris 42 to SF
FS Eric Weddle 48 to Jax
DE(/OLB?) LaMarr Woodley 55 to seahags
CB(/FS?) Marcus McCauley 61 to murderers, er, ravens
CB Josh Wilson 62 to SD
SS(OLB?) Aaron Rouse 68 to TB
LB Stewart Bradlry 81 to NJG
DE(OLB?) Dan Bazuin 88 to NO
SS Sabby Piscitelli 93 to SD
FS Josh Gattis 105 to Cardinals
ILB Brandon Siler 110 to SF
CB Daymeion Hughes 136 to dolts

If BB, Pees and Pepper J (and maybe Tedy himself) think that Poz can succeed Bruschi at WILB, then I have no problem taking him at 24. With Ross off the board, Griffin would be my choice at 28. Faulk's replacement does need to be found sometime (should have been Mewelde Moore in '04), so I'm OK with Booker at 91. DeOssie at 127 would be great, except that a CB has not yet been drafted. I might be willing to roll the dice with Daymeion Hughes instead.

I am not a fan of Booker.

If you replace Booker with a CB like Davis of NC State, I would like that draft much better.

A big back to think about later in the fifth is Snelling of Virginia.

I signed up for a(nother) 30-day free trial to espn insider. Kiper also has going:
CB Aaron Ross 25 to jest
FS Reggie Nelson 26 to Eagles
CB Chris Houston 27 to NO
LB Jon Beason 38 to Cardinals
DE Anthony Spencer 41 to Vikings
ILB David Harris 42 to SF
FS Eric Weddle 48 to Jax
DE(/OLB?) LaMarr Woodley 55 to seahags
CB(/FS?) Marcus McCauley 61 to murderers, er, ravens
CB Josh Wilson 62 to SD
SS(OLB?) Aaron Rouse 68 to TB
LB Stewart Bradlry 81 to NJG
DE(OLB?) Dan Bazuin 88 to NO
SS Sabby Piscitelli 93 to SD
FS Josh Gattis 105 to Cardinals
ILB Brandon Siler 110 to SF
CB Daymeion Hughes 136 to dolts

I sure hope Gattis isn't on the board at 105. I hope he isn't there at #92.

I'm with you Dryheat. I love Gattis as a Patriot. I think he has the most upside of any of the safeties in this draft. He can play the run well, he can cover well, he has instincts and intelligence and decent character. He has a knack for making big plays and coaches can't teach that.
He did not however receive the best coaching at Wake Forest and after a year in the Pats system should be able to start. and after a year or 2 of starting should be an above average safety for the next 8 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes