Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
New mock from Todd McShay available on ESPNinsider:

2009 NFL mock draft: Mark Sanchez shuffles things all the way to No. 17 - ESPN

He has the Pats taking Clay Matthews at 23, but notes "If [Malcolm] Jenkins falls, don't be surprised to see the Patriots take advantage of that and select him. His versatility fits perfectly in New England.". Other interesting picks:

3. KC - Aaron Curry - "but if the Chiefs go in a different direction it will likely be OT Eugene Monroe."
4. Seattle - Mark Sanchez
5. Cleveland - Michael Crabtree. Rumors are the Browns will trade Braylon Edwards and are in love with Crabtree.
7. Oakland - Andre Smith
10. SF - Brian Orapko
12. Denver - Tyson Jackson
14. NO - Beanie Wells - this seems like a good bet if Wells falls to 14.
16. SD - Malcolm Jenkins. Nooooo!!!
17. Jest - DHB.
18. Denver - Everette Brown.
20. Detroit - Michael Oher. I don't buy it. I doubt he lasts past SF at #10.
21. Philly - Knowshon Moreno
22. Minn - Percy Harvin - despite all the rumors of Harvin falling and teams being leery of him
25. Miami - Kenny Britt; this seems high for him
26. Balt - Rey Maualuga
27. Indy - Ziggy Hood
28. Phil - Eben Britton
29. Giants - Hakeem Nicks
30. Tenn - Vontae Davis
31. Arizona - Donald Brown
32. Pitt - Max Unger - I don't see them taking Unger over Mack or Wood

That would leave us with Connor Barwin, William Beatty, Louis Delmas and Jarren Gilbert all still on the board. Good stuff. I don't like the Matthews pick but if Jenkins fell it would be perfect.

I'd rather have Jenkins than Clay Matthews. I just can't see Matthews as an outside LB in a 3-4. I doubt Jenkins falls.

Michael Lombardi had this to say about Oher today: "I’ve talked to three teams in the top 10 and they feel his bottom will be at No. 10 with the 49ers, who love him. He also might go as high as No. 7 with Oakland." He lists Oher as a player on the rise (along with Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Tyson Jackson, Darius Heyward-Bey and Ziggy Hood). I doubt he falls to 20.

The National Football Post | Diner Morning News: Boldin On The Move?

Lombardi's new mock should be out later today.

Michael Lombardi had this to say about Oher today: "I’ve talked to three teams in the top 10 and they feel his bottom will be at No. 10 with the 49ers, who love him. He also might go as high as No. 7 with Oakland." He lists Oher as a player on the rise (along with Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Tyson Jackson, Darius Heyward-Bey and Ziggy Hood). I doubt he falls to 20.

The National Football Post | Diner Morning News: Boldin On The Move?

Lombardi's new mock should be out later today.

The team missed out on Clady last year. I hope they go after Oher this year. I really want my left tackle.

Last edited:
Mayo: where do you see Jenkins fitting in with the Patriots? His lack of long speed is a significant concern for me at CB. I like his quickness, I like his apparent passion for the game, and he seems to tackle well. For those reasons I am intrigued by him at FS, but I am not sure I like him more than Delmas there. I could see him being a good CB in Tampa or Indy where the CB's are not asked to carry receivers deep.

Mayo: where do you see Jenkins fitting in with the Patriots? His lack of long speed is a significant concern for me at CB. I like his quickness, I like his apparent passion for the game, and he seems to tackle well. For those reasons I am intrigued by him at FS, but I am not sure I like him more than Delmas there. I could see him being a good CB in Tampa or Indy where the CB's are not asked to carry receivers deep.

Good questions. To tell you the truth, I hadn't thought a lot about Jenkins until recently because I assumed he would go top 10. Then his lack of 40 time made me pause a bit. But the more I think about him the more I like him for the Pats.

First, I think he can play CB for us. He didn't have a blazing 40 time, but neither did Ty Law. Like Law, Jenkins is a big, physical CB with great instincts and good hands who will make plays. He's extremely agile, and had the fastest 3 cone of the combine (6.59). I would be quite happy to get a young Ty Law back. Just because we've gone with smaller, quicker CBs recently doesn't mean we couldn't find a use for someone like him. If Leigh Bodden regains anything near to his 2007 Cleveland form then I think Jenkins and Bodden could be a dynamite CB due, with Wheatley and Wilhite providing smaller quicker CBs with good ball skills for the nickel and dime. I would see Ellis Hobbs moving on after 2009 in this situation due to cost issues. If Bodden doesn't pan out, Jenkins and Hobbs would still be solid.

Second, I personally see Louis Delmas more of a SS/FS hybrid than a true FS. I see elements of Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders and Michael Griffin in his game. I think he's a SS with great agility (6.67 3 cone) who can cover like a FS who can hit like a SS, or something like that. I frankly could see finding room for both Jenkins and Delmas on the Pats.

Finally, I think Jenkins would be a dynamite true FS. I think that BB would probably play him at CB with FS as a backup position, but could move him around a lot depending on the situation and the scheme. I feel the same way about Sean Smith, but there is no doubt that Jenkins is a much safer, more polished, and more ready pick than Smith. He's a high character kid, a team player, a leader, and has less of an ego than almost any top CB to come out in years. I can't imagine that BB wouldn't find a way to make use of him.

Jenkins would fit in perfect as a CB w/the Pats. He's big, physical and athletic. He could play off-man, zone or press, using his length (34.5 in arms) and quickness (4.08 in 20-yd shuttle/combine best 6.59 in 3-cone), which he has plenty of, to stop big plays. He might not time well in the 40 but he's a long strider, so he's what they refer to as deceptively fast. He's insctinctive and a playmaker vs the pass, supports the run well and from what I've read a great teammate and a super solid character. An added bonus is that he has position flexibility and he's an excellent ST player. He represents tremendous value to any team that will be lucky enough to draft him. I hope the Pats can be in range to trade up and pick him. He and Delmas are not in the same league as players, as a matter of fact it's not even close.

Jenkins would fit in perfect as a CB w/the Pats. He's big, physical and athletic. He could play off-man, zone or press, using his length (34.5 in arms) and quickness (4.08 in 20-yd shuttle/combine best 6.59 in 3-cone), which he has plenty of, to stop big plays. He might not time well in the 40 but he's a long strider, so he's what they refer to as deceptively fast. He's insctinctive and a playmaker vs the pass, supports the run well and from what I've read a great teammate and a super solid character. An added bonus is that he has position flexibility and he's an excellent ST player. He represents tremendous value to any team that will be lucky enough to draft him. I hope the Pats can be in range to trade up and pick him. He and Delmas are not in the same league as players, as a matter of fact it's not even close.

As I said, they're different players. I see them filling complementary roles, and would be happy to get both. And I love Delmas. But I'll go with Jenkins at #23.

I'd rather have Jenkins than Clay Matthews. I just can't see Matthews as an outside LB in a 3-4. I doubt Jenkins falls.

Jenkins wont fall!! At latest he will be there by 15. If he falls that low expect the Texans to grab him. CB is the Texans biggest need so i rather have Ayers than Matthews to be honest.

Jenkins wont fall!! At latest he will be there by 15. If he falls that low expect the Texans to grab him. CB is the Texans biggest need so i rather have Ayers than Matthews to be honest.

If Jenkins is available at 15 when the Texans are picking, would you consider the following trade:

- Houston trades #15 to NE
- NE trades #23 and RB Lawrence Maroney to Houston

The difference between 23 and 15 is 290 points, or about the value of the #61 pick. Our #58 would likely get it done, but Houston could use an RB to complement Steve Slaton. THey could still get a top CB at 23, such as Vontae Davis or Darius Butler. We would get late 2nd round value for Maroney, and could possibly get Knowshon Moreno or Donald Brown at 34, either of whom would likely be a long term improvement on Maroney. Then we could use 47 and 58 on OLB, S, DL or possibly OL.

Just a thought. I'm not particularly on the "trade Maroney" bandwagon, but I thought it was an alternative worth throwing out there.

Where does McShay have my boy Darius Butler going? I can't view sports sites at work. :(

Where does McShay have my boy Darius Butler going? I can't view sports sites at work. :(

Not in the 1st round. It's only a 1 round mock. McShay's top 15 still available after his 1st round:

1. Larry English
2. Alphonso Smith
3. Louis Delmas
4. James Laurinaitis
5. Darius Butler
6. Paul Kruger
7. LeSean McCoy
8. D.J. Moore
9. Alex Mack
10. Clint Sintim
11. Eric Wood
12. Rashad Johnson
13. Cornelius Ingram
14. Josh Freeman
15. Connor Barwin

I think Alphonso Smith, Paul Kruger, DJ Moore, Clint Sintim, Rashad Johnson and Cornelius Ingram are too high. I think Alex Mack, Josh Freeman and Connor Barwin are a bit low, especially Freeman.

Not in the 1st round. It's only a 1 round mock. McShay's top 15 still available after his 1st round:

1. Larry English
2. Alphonso Smith
3. Louis Delmas
4. James Laurinaitis
5. Darius Butler
6. Paul Kruger
7. LeSean McCoy
8. D.J. Moore
9. Alex Mack
10. Clint Sintim
11. Eric Wood
12. Rashad Johnson
13. Cornelius Ingram
14. Josh Freeman
15. Connor Barwin

I think Alphonso Smith, Paul Kruger, DJ Moore, Clint Sintim, Rashad Johnson and Cornelius Ingram are too high. I think Alex Mack, Josh Freeman and Connor Barwin are a bit low, especially Freeman.

:eek: he's an idiot lol

Freeman is a special case because he's a QB. If he doesn't get taken in the mid 1st he could fall 20 spots.

Last edited:
He didn't have a blazing 40 time, but neither did Ty Law.

The problem is, the rules that Ty Law were great under, no longer exist. A lot of things Ty Law did are now penalties. I'm not saying Jenkins will be bad, but using Ty Law as a justification isn't really valid.

Acc. to Mayock (& Lombardi, too?) at the NFLN, Freeman may be drafted in the first half of the 1st round, never mind the first half of the 2nd round.

I still think Houston takes Matthews instead of Cushing. John McClain of the Houston Chronicle thinks it not only possible, but likely.

I doubt that Jenkins makes it past GB or NO, but if he somehow is there at 23, then I'm running to the podium with his name on my card.

The problem is, the rules that Ty Law were great under, no longer exist. A lot of things Ty Law did are now penalties. I'm not saying Jenkins will be bad, but using Ty Law as a justification isn't really valid.

Really, they're only comparable in size. Law had neither the lateral agility nor the on-field resume that Jenkins does.

There's really no reason why a CB has to run a blazing 40, much like any other position. I don't think Samuel's 40 anything better than average.

Last edited:
Jenkins has no quick twitch. BB is only looking at this kid as a FS.

I just don't see any way the Patriots draft Clay Matthews at 23. In the middle of the second round yes, but he doesn't have first round value in my eyes.

Jenkins has no quick twitch. BB is only looking at this kid as a FS.

I don't buy it. Here's what Rob Rang has to say about Jenkins today: "So let me get this straight. Jenkins returns for his senior year after the NFL Advisory Committee tells him he'd be an easy first-round choice and quite possibly the first cornerback selected last year. He wins the Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back. And then, because he is timed at 4.51 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine, now he can't stay at corner in the NFL? Every year there are players who take a tumble down draft boards due to how fast they run or high they jump in shorts and a T-shirt. On the field, however, Jenkins is able to get by with his less than jaw-dropping speed because he plays a physical, instinctive brand of football. Scouts put extra emphasis on how the top prospects perform in the big games, and a scout who attended the Ohio State-Southern California clash last September characterized Jenkins to me as "the best player on the field." Considering the talent on those two rosters, that's saying something."

Looking for safe draft picks? Check out these future stars - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

I think Jenkins would be fine for us at either CB or S. He's like Mayo as a CB, and I'm sure BB would find a way to use him effectively. If I remember correctly, you weren't too high on Mayo this time last year, either: "Mayo couldn't shed a fire hydrant! Willis can shed a mack truck. Mayo would be a mistake. I would rather stay at #7 and take Ellis." Or: "I think Harris proved last season that he was worth a 1st round pick for the Pats. Harris is light years ahead of Mayo at similar points in their careers, and Harris brings the wood harder than Mayo ever could. But regardless of Rivers, Mayo, or Harris, I just can not see BB trusting his defense to a young ILB."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...pats-prefer-j-mayo-over-k-rivers-page5.html

I'm just yanking your chain, Ochmed, which is a sign of respect. God forbid that anyone should dig up some of my past statements and throw them in my face. But I came across these quotes and have been waiting for a chance to use them for weeks. :D

Anyway, I think Jenkins would be a terrific player for us, quick twitch or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST