PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 round mock with trades

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I tried to do some different stuff in here that has not been seen in a lot of mocks while also keeping it realistic.

Mock Draft

#1 - Houston - Bortles QB - This probably should be Clowney but Houston would have a hard time passing on Bortles. While clearly not BPA a decent QB can turn things around. Also I think they try to trade down but can't.

#2 - TRADE - Atlanta (from St. Louis for #6, A 2nd and next years 2nd) - Clowney - DE - Atlanta pounces after Houston passes on Clowney.

#3 - Jax - Mack - LB/DE - Maybe another QB will go in the top but I don't think the Jags take one. Mack though not as talented is a safer prospect than Clowney and worth this pick for sure.

#4 - Cleveland - Manziel - QB - This pick just makes too much sense. Manziel plays with a style that will get him killed. Something Cleveland loves in their QBs (sorry Cleveland). Should not have reached

#5 Oakland - Donald - DT - Some would call this a reach. I disagree. Donald will be a beast and help Oakland's horrible D.

#6 St. Louis - Watkins - WR - Rams would be elated for this to happen.

#7 - TRADE - Buffalo (from Tampa for #9 and a 3rd round pick). Robinson - OT - The Bils would be ecstatic for Robinson to drop this far and don't take a chance of anyone jumping over them to get him.

#8 - TRADE - Detroit (from Min for the #10 and a 3rd). Evans - WR - Detroit will make Tampa pay for not taking Evans when they could. They jump up to get him here.

#9 - Tampa Bay - Gilbert - CB - Tampa is not happy that Detroit jumped them but they get the best CB in the draft and a 3rd rounder to boot. Probably better off.

#10 - Minnesota - Carr - QB - Minnesota's patience pays off and they get their guy with an extra 3rd as well.

#11 - Tenn - Dennard - CB - When it makes sense it make sense. Tenn does not over think it here.

#12 - Giants - Matthews - OT - The Giants probably wanted Donald but are glad to get Matthews here.

#13 - TRADE - Eagles (from St. Louis for #22, a 2nd and a 5th). Anthony Barr - OLB - One of the biggest surprise moves so far. Barr should have never fallen this far and the Eagles decide to pay through the nose to grab the last super elite prospect of the draft.

#14 - Chicago - Jernigan - DT - Chicago would love to trade down here but they are out of luck. Jernigan is a good player but a bit of a reach here. It is a case of need more than value

#15 - Pitt - Ebron - TE - Pitt would have loved to trade up for Evans but he was not in reach. Instead the do the next best thing with the only 1st round TE in the draft. He will fit Ben's style well.

#16 Dallas - Cooks - WR - Jerry Jones is an idiot. He won't take Lewan or Pryor or Fuller. He will go WR again and not even pick the right one. Cowboy fans have it rough.

#17 - Baltimore - Clinton-Dix - S - Baltimore needed a safety. While he is not going to be Ed Reed he is worth a pick here and will be a big step of turning this D around.

#18 - Jets - Lee - WR - The Jets decide helping this young QB out is more important than D. Though OL would have been nice here they decide to go with Lee.

#19 - Miami - Lewan - OT - He should have gone 5 picks higher but the football gods smile on Miami.

#20 - Arizona - Bridgewater - QB - Not much to say here. Arizona can say whatever they want but they need a QB and everyone knows it. They could use other help too but this sticks out to me as best fit.

#21 - Green Bay - Calvin Pryor - S - Solid pick by GB. Not much to say here.

#22 - St. Louis - Zach Martin - OL - The Rams have made the draft their ***** the last few years in the draft and this year is no different. They land their OL man without having to move up.

#23 - KC - Beckham - WR - KC is hard to mock for as they could use a number of things but I think Odell is good value here. They need a more reliable WR to help their O out.

#24 - Cincinnati - Shazier - LB - The Bengals could go a lot of ways here. However they won't reach for one of the other QBs. A bit of a surpise to go LB but Shazier is worth this pick.

#25 - San Diego - Roby - CB - San Diego knows they need to beat either Brady or Manning to go anywhere so I think they go D. Ealy makes sense but I see CB as a bigger need. The only question is Roby or Fuller. They go for upside with Roby.

#26 - Cleveland - Hageman - DT - Cleveland does something right (wow) taking BPA and a need fit. Will do well as a 3-4 DE.

#27 - New Orleans - Ford - DE/OLB - Ealy is a better player but Ford is the better fit.

#28 - TRADE - Houston - (from Carolina for #33 4th & 6th) - Mosley - LB - Houston does not take a chance and grabs Mosley here. Carolina was unable to trade up for a WR at a price they wanted and no OL prospect makes sense here. They get a few picks and time to let guys fall in range.

#29 - TRADE - St. Louis (from the Patriots for a #44 & 3rd) - Fuller - CB - The Rams do it again and get the last of the 1st round CBs. This is a lot to give up here but the player is worth it.

#30 - San Fran - Tuitt - DE/DT - SF is mad they could not make a deal to move up but getting Tuitt here is a good deal. Especailly with Aldon Smith gone forever.

#31 - Denver - Robinson - WR - This draft did not fall Denver's way. They get a good WR that should learn the system fast but was not a super high need. Unable to trade down.

#32 - Seattle - Ealy - DE - Seattle gets a steal here. He should have gone earlier but didn't work out in my mock. Great value and one of my binkies goes to an arch enemy

Last edited:
Round 2

#33 - Carolina - Benjamin - WR - It should be a WR or Moses here... I pick the former.

#34 - Washintgon - Moses - OT - Washington finally gets to pick. Hageman makes a ton of sense but OL has to be the priority as RG3 needs protection badly.

#35 - Cleveland - Tre Mason - RB - Cleveland takes the only RB in the first 2 rounds in my draft with a guy that can hit the homerun.

#36 - Oakland - Zach Mettenberger - QB - Oakland goes QB here. Whether he works out or not remains to be seen.

#37 - St. Louis - Ward - S - Perfect pick, perfect fit. St. Louis does it again (I swear I am not a St. Louis fan)

#38 - Tampa Bay - Cyrus Kouandjio - OT - Honestly this was a very hard choice. Tampa is going line but who? Bitonio or Su'a-Filo are perhaps even better but in the end I just picked this guy. Honestly though I don't know which of them they will pick.

#39 - Jax - Critchton - DE - The last complete DE available should go here. Resigning Babin is good but he is a backup ideally.

#40 - Minnasota - Landry - WR - Minnasota got their QB and now they got a WR for him to grow with.

#41 - Buffalo - Adams - WR - Buffalo is having themselves a nice little draft so far. They are going to give their young QB every chance to prove himself this year. If he doesn't they will look for someone new next year.

#42 - Tenn - Garoppolo - QB - Tenn wants to try their luck with a new QB and gets the last one with a true 2nd round grade.

#43 - NYG - Nix - DT/NT - The Giants need help in a lot of spots but DL is a must in the first 2 rounds.

#44 - TRADE - Arizona (from the Patriots for #52 and a 4th round pick) Bitinio - OL - Bitino has fallen too far and will make a team want to trade up for him. As for the Patriots trading again... looking at the board I didn't see a good fit (OL which aren't C is where the most value in the draft is right now and they don't want to reach for a bad value player).

#45 - Detroit - Juwan James - OT - Detroit makes a solid pick getting a needed OT here at good value.

#46 - Pitt - Verret - CB - Pitt takes a shot at the undersized but very talented Verret. They could go WR but liking the depth elect to skip it and no DL is that good of a value here.

#47 - Baltimore - Su'a Filo - G - Baltimore has other needs but can not believe Su'a Filo is still on the board. He potentially can even be an OT in a pinch so they scoop him up and take the value.

#48 - Dallas - Buchannon - S - Dallas screwed themselves with their first pick but make a smart move here getting a need position at good value. Not even JJ should mess this up.

#49 - NYJ - Joyner - CB - Jets desperately need a CB and take one at decent value here. OG would make sense too but the market just dried up a bit.

#50 - TRADE - San Diego (from Miami for #57 a 4th; but a 6th back) Matthews - WR - WRs have fallen a bit and now another run begins. San Diego sees Matthews as a steal at this stage and leap frogs several teams to get him.

#51 - Chicago - ASJ - TE - This was the only thing that made sense at this time. A TE is a need and best value here.

#52 - Patriots - Niklas - TE - Finally; FINALLY! the Patriots are in a spot they like. picking at #29 had good value but they wanted to pick up multiple picks in this draft and have the ability to move up and get other guys. I was thinking about others guys to get here. A center could make sense but one will be there at #62 and the current DEs are going be pretty consistent through round 3. Niklas is probably the best need/fit value to the Patriots currently and so i guess I will not over think it.

#53 - Green Bay - Richardson - WR - The WRs have fallen a bit recently but now the talent is getting too good to pass up on. GB would love to get Richardson here.

#54 - St. Louis (from Philly) - Flemming - OT - The Rams have neglected the OL up to this point but no longer. They pick up a compentent OT.

#55 - TRADE - PATRIOTS! (from Cinci for #62 & a 4th; but we get a 5th) - Richberg - C - with San Fran poised to pick him the Patriots don't sit pat and move up the board this time to grab their new starting Center.

#56 - San Fran - Latimore - WR - San Fran gets a good consolation prize in Latimore.

#57 - San Diego - Bryant - WR - The run on WRs continue with SD getting a good prospect that has been rising.

#58 - New Orleans - Kyle Van Noy - OLB - The story of most of the 2nd half of this round will be Van Noy's drop. Personally i think too many teams see a lack of upside and little physicality. However he is very good value here and a need fit too boot.

#59 - Indy - Jeremiah Attaochu - OLB - Indy didn't pick in the first but their first overall pick is a great start. It is a great fit as well as BPA. Always a good combo

#60 - Carolina - T. Turner - OL - I almost talked myself into a double dip at WR here... however that will come later. Instead they go best OL available with good value to fit another vital need.

#61 - San Fran - Martin - C - with the top Center gone SF goes for the next best one which isn't that bad of a value at #61.

#62 - Cinci (from Patriots) - Easley - DE/DT - Cinci read the board right and were able to get a need fit here. Easley can play both outside and inside. If he is healthy the Bengals front 4 could be scary. (glad we got our center :p )

#63 - Denver - Gaines - CB - This pick fits better than their first one. Gaines continues to rise up boards and should be here by draft day if he is not already.

#64 - Seattle - Daquan Jones - DT - The Seahawks have few needs and WR makes little sense to reach on currently. Jones is not a great perpetrator but what they need is a run stuffer to sure up the middle and Jones is the the best at that in the current tier of DTs. Rest of the Patriots Draft (I assume we will trade up some but that is too much work.. for now ill just stick and pick)

2nd - Niklas - TE
2nd - Richberg - C
(just a reminder)

3rd - Jean Baptiste - CB
3rd - Jackson Jeffcoat - DE
4th - Christian Jones - LB
4th - Jake Murphy - TE
5th - Brandon Thomas - OL - IR
6th - Sunseri - SS
6th - Kevin Pierre-Louis - LB
7th - Marion Grice - RB

Last edited:
Manziel at 4 and 26 thats a redo ;)

Yep. I realized that and fixed it. I had no proof reader : ( I think it is all set now though.

Yep. I realized that and fixed it. I had no proof reader : ( I think it is all set now though.
and then you give them Nix??? Browns have 2 NTs alrdy where 1 of them Phil Taylor is a ****ing nice one and a 2011 first round pick at #21... Hmmz

and then you give them Nix??? Browns have 2 NTs alrdy where 1 of them Phil Taylor is a ****ing nice one and a 2011 first round pick at #21... Hmmz
It was not originally set up that way; I had to change it after i realized i did a double pick with Manziel. I am going to change that later after I have some more time to look at it.

good work. I could never mock trades. I would blow my brains out lol.

like the idea of picking up Niklas a lot and getting picks piled up.

Well personally if i was the GM I would probably stand pat and pick up Ealy @ 29 but i strongly believe the Patriots will move in this draft. Since moving up to me makes no sense so I predict a move down.

Well personally if i was the GM I would probably stand pat and pick up Ealy @ 29 but i strongly believe the Patriots will move in this draft. Since moving up to me makes no sense so I predict a move down.

Agree on Ealy. Love him. Most of the mocks I have done I take him. Could be a real help to Jones/Nink but if Ealy is gone and BB doesn't like what's left I could easily see a trade down

I tried to do some different stuff in here that has not been seen in a lot of mocks while also keeping it realistic.

Mock Draft

#1 - Houston - Botles QB - This probably should be Clowney but Houston would have a hard time passing on Bortles. While clearly not BPA a decent QB can turn things around. Also I think they try to trade down but can't.

#2 - TRADE - Atlanta (from St. Louis for #6, A 2nd and next years 2nd) - Clowney - DE - Atlanta pounces after Houston passes on Clowney.

#3 - Jax - Mack - LB/DE - Maybe another QB will go in the top 5 but I don't see it. Mack though not as talented is a safer prospect than Clowney and worth this pick for sure.

#4 - Cleveland - Manziel - QB - This pick just makes too much sense. Manziel plays with a style that will get him killed. Something Cleveland loves in their QBs (sorry Cleveland). Should not have reached

#5 Oakland - Donald - DT - Some would call this a reach. I disagree. Donald will be a beast and help Oakland's horrible D.

#6 St. Louis - Watkins - WR - Rams would be elated for this to happen.

#7 - TRADE - Buffalo (from Tampa for #9 and a 3rd round pick). Robinson - OT - The Bils would be ecstatic for Robinson to drop this far and don't take a chance of anyone jumping over them to get him.

#8 - TRADE - Detroit (from Min for the #10 and a 3rd). Evans - WR - Detroit will make Tampa pay for not taking Evans when they could. They jump up to get him here.

#9 - Tampa Bay - Gilbert - CB - Tampa is not happy that Detroit jumped them but they get the best CB in the draft and a 3rd rounder to boot. Probably better off.

#10 - Minnesota - Carr - QB - Minnesota's patience pays off and they get their guy with an extra 3rd as well.

#11 - Tenn - Dennard - CB - When it makes sense it make sense. Tenn does not over think it here.

#12 - Giants - Matthews - OT - The Giants probably wanted Donald but are glad to get Matthews here.

#13 - TRADE - Eagles (from St. Louis for #22, a 2nd and a 5th). Anthony Barr - OLB - One of the biggest surprise moves so far. Barr should have never fallen this far and the Eagles decide to pay through the nose to grab the last super elite prospect of the draft.

#14 - Chicago - Jernigan - DT - Chicago would love to trade down here but they are out of luck. Jernigan is a good player but a bit of a reach here. It is a case of need more than value

#15 - Pitt - Ebron - TE - Pitt would have loved to trade up for Evans but he was not in reach. Instead the do the next best thing with the only 1st round TE in the draft. He will fit Ben's style well.

#16 - Baltimore - Clinton-Dix - S - Baltimore needed a safety. While he is not going to be Ed Reed he is worth a pick here and will be a big step of turning this D around.

#17 Dallas - Cooks - WR - Jerry Jones is an idiot. He won't take Lewan or Pryor or Fuller. He will go WR again and not even pick the right one. Cowboy fans have it rough.

#18 - Jets - Lee - WR - The Jets decide helping this young QB out is more important than D. Though OL would have been nice here they decide to go with Lee.

#19 - Miami - Lewan - OT - He should have gone 5 picks higher but the football gods smile on Miami.

#20 - Arizona - Bridgewater - QB - Not much to say here. Arizona can say whatever they want but they need a QB and everyone knows it. They could use other help too but this sticks out to me as best fit.

#21 - Green Bay - Calvin Pryor - S - Solid pick by GB. Not much to say here.

#22 - St. Louis - Zach Martin - OL - The Rams have made the draft their ***** the last few years in the draft and this year is no different. They land their OL man without having to move up.

#23 - KC - Beckham - WR - KC is hard to mock for as they could use a number of things but I think Odell is good value here. They need a more reliable WR to help their O out.

#24 - Cincinnati - Shazier - LB - The Bengals could go a lot of ways here. However Manziel is not the right fit here and they won't reach for one of the other QBs. A bit of a surpise to go LB but Shazier is worth this pick.

#25 - San Diego - Roby - CB - San Diego knows they need to beat either Brady or Manning to go anywhere so I think they go D. Ealy makes sense but I see CB as a bigger need. The only question is Roby or Fuller. They go for upside with Roby.

#26 - Cleveland - Hageman - DT - Cleveland does something right (wow) taking BPA and a need fit. Will do well as a 3-4 DE.

#27 - New Orleans - Ford - DE/OLB - Ealy is a better player but Ford is the better fit.

#28 - TRADE - Houston - (from Carolina for #33 4th & 6th; 6th next year) - Mosley - LB - Houston does not take a chance and grabs Mosley here. Carolina was unable to trade up for a WR at a price they wanted and no OL prospect makes sense here. They get a few picks and time to let guys fall in range.

#29 - TRADE - St. Louis (from the Patriots for a #44 & 3rd) - Fuller - CB - The Rams do it again and get the last of the 1st round CBs. This is a lot to give up here but the player is worth it.

#30 - San Fran - Tuitt - DE/DT - SF is mad they could not make a deal to move up but getting Tuitt here is a good deal. Especailly with Aldon Smith gone forever.

#31 - Denver - Allen - WR - This draft did not fall Denver's way. They get a good WR that should learn the system fast but was not a super high need. Unable to trade down.

#32 - Seattle - Ealy - DE - Seattle gets a steal here. He should have gone earlier but didn't work out in my mock. Great value and one of my binkies goes to an arch enemy

Is Allen (to Denver) the same as Robinson? Why is it assumed that NE can execute a trade whenever it wants for good value, but not Denver, drafting two behind? Someone will trade up for Fuller with us, and not with anyone between Cleveland and us? Wouldn't Cleveland make more sense since Roby just left the board? Yet nobody will trade with Denver for a guy like Ealy, whom goes one spot later as a "steal"? You claim to give him to an "arch enemy" in Seattle? Are you a 49ers fan? And given an inability to trade, Denver drafts a WR 4? WE5 if you count their potential stud receiving TE. With the exception of Benjamin, any of the next 8 picks would make more sense.

I appreciate the effort, but it seems a bit rushed and designed to benefit New England. Speaking of which, I would absolutely stay put and draft Ealy, but I understand your thought process on trading down. I just think Ealy is a legit 1st round talent, which we usually don't get the chance to draft, and I can't stand throwing that away in order to draft a center and a non-playmaking tight end in the second.

I just finished my latest mock. I'll post it tomorrow morning, so you get to fire away at mine. Fair's fair.

I like the first trade down. But the 2nd trade down would make me throw stuff at the TV.

Fuller or Kony would look good in a Pats uniform but if we missed out on them after trading in to the 2nd I would be OK with it. If we give up our chance to get Buchannon I would be very unhappy. Bitonio would be a great fit here too.

Trading a first round pick for a mid second and a third is simply bad value.

In comparison, in 2011 the Pats traded pick #28 to the Saints for their 2nd round pick (#56) and a future 1st.

Source:
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...id/4695468/patriots-trade-28th-pick-to-saints

That 1st rounder we got from the Saints along with one of our own 3rd round pick turned into Chandler Jones:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/st...w-england-patriots-part-eight-trade-1st-round

And the #56 pick turned into Shane Vereen. Meanwhile New Orleans got the right to draft Mark Ingram.

I'll take Chandler Jones + Vereen over Mark Ingram any day. It is through shrewd trades like these that BB has built up the Pats franchise.

Why is it assumed that NE can execute a trade whenever it wants for good value, but not Denver, drafting two behind?

Isn't this patsfans 37th Rule of Player Acquisition?

Is Allen (to Denver) the same as Robinson? Why is it assumed that NE can execute a trade whenever it wants for good value, but not Denver, drafting two behind? Someone will trade up for Fuller with us, and not with anyone between Cleveland and us? Wouldn't Cleveland make more sense since Roby just left the board? Yet nobody will trade with Denver for a guy like Ealy, whom goes one spot later as a "steal"? You claim to give him to an "arch enemy" in Seattle? Are you a 49ers fan? And given an inability to trade, Denver drafts a WR 4? WE5 if you count their potential stud receiving TE. With the exception of Benjamin, any of the next 8 picks would make more sense.

I appreciate the effort, but it seems a bit rushed and designed to benefit New England. Speaking of which, I would absolutely stay put and draft Ealy, but I understand your thought process on trading down. I just think Ealy is a legit 1st round talent, which we usually don't get the chance to draft, and I can't stand throwing that away in order to draft a center and a non-playmaking tight end in the second.

I just finished my latest mock. I'll post it tomorrow morning, so you get to fire away at mine. Fair's fair.

This is a good question and I would be happy to take you through my thought process on it. I believe a trade needs 4 things. Need, value, will and a partner. Let me contrast both the Patriots and Denver selections.

Patriots: Fuller is the main reason this trade is possible. He is the last legit 1st round CB and the drop off between him and the next guy (Verret - CB) is pretty large. Verret is a talented player but he is match up limited. Fuller is not. He is a press corner that can match up with pretty much any type of WR. Verret due to his height will likely be forced into the dime away from the bigger outside WRs. St. Louis has need of such a player and the draft capital to move up to get him while not limiting themselves to options in the 2nd round. The Patriots have a history of trading picks and i think they actually want to do it. So that is why i think a trade can be had there. Now if you disagree with the the trade i made with the team as fair as equal value that is fine. St. Loius has flexibility and can do it several ways. That is a key factor why i see that team being one to possibly trade with.

Denver: Looking at the position in the draft IMO the BPA is Ealy. That makes things a bit harder on Denver as unlike Fuller for us Ealy does have a guy below him that isn't that bad a drop off (Critchton - DE) Critchton is basically the same type of player with a bit less ability. However he can do the same job (unlike the Fuller/Verret comparison). This means teams might be more unwilling to trade up for Ealy if they think Critchton can fall to them and they can hold on to their other picks. Also lets look at the teams i had below Denver. Carolina (WR/OL) Washington (OL/LB/DB) Cleveland (3-4 D) Oakland (needs QB) St. Louis (wants Ward and can stay pat), Tampa (needs OL and no reason to trade up), Jax (maybe but likely to have Critchton fall to them due to the teams above). Really no other team is likely to pick a DE IMO until the Giants. So the willing trading partner would be hard to find. A few of those teams COULD choose to trade up and try to get him but other needs probably override it and the guys they want are within reach as we (besides Ealy) have now pretty much hit the 3rd tier of talent.

And trades tend to happen the most when tiers of talent are in the middle of changing... not the end or beginning. Now Denver (or should i say Elway) is not at all shy about trading so they probably have the will to do it but i think they will find it more difficult than us the way i have this draft falling. Now if the draft falls differently they might very well be able to trade and probably will.

I guess it comes down to your opinions then. I see Ealy to Crichton as a huge drop, while not only do I see Verrett as in the same group as Roby and Fuller, I think he's the best of the three. I think CB height is starting to get seriously overrated...like 40 times were for years at RB. We're talking less than 3 inches on a guy with a 3+ foot vertical. But I respect your thinking here.

But still....if Denver makes a pick there, why WR with Thomas, Welker, Sanders, Caldwell, and 3 pass-catching TEs on the roster?

Trading a first round pick for a mid second and a third is simply bad value.

In comparison, in 2011 the Pats traded pick #28 to the Saints for their 2nd round pick (#56) and a future 1st.

Source:
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...id/4695468/patriots-trade-28th-pick-to-saints

That 1st rounder we got from the Saints along with one of our own 3rd round pick turned into Chandler Jones:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/st...w-england-patriots-part-eight-trade-1st-round

And the #56 pick turned into Shane Vereen. Meanwhile New Orleans got the right to draft Mark Ingram.

I'll take Chandler Jones + Vereen over Mark Ingram any day. It is through shrewd trades like these that BB has built up the Pats franchise.

Good post. I didn't really have a lot of info on pick value in front of me so i admittedly winged it a little. However about your first trade. The fact has always been a pick this year is worth more than a pick next year. if they want to do that kind of trade down i am sure they could but they want guys THIS draft as Brady is getting close to the end. So the example you picked might have not been the best.

Also i don't think you can always go by the value chart the same in every draft. This draft i think we will see more teams willing to "lose" trade downs purely by the value chart as they think the player caliber rounds 2 and 3 is unusually high. Now could a better deal be made here for the Patriots? Maybe. I didn't really go into that part of it that much. My main point was predicting a trade down. If you think another pick should be added on top that is fine and maybe it will be but as far as my mock goes (with focus on the first 2 rounds) i didn't really go into counting draft trade points much and focused more on positioning within the rounds

I guess it comes down to your opinions then. I see Ealy to Crichton as a huge drop, while not only do I see Verrett as in the same group as Roby and Fuller, I think he's the best of the three. I think CB height is starting to get seriously overrated...like 40 times were for years at RB. We're talking less than 3 inches on a guy with a 3+ foot vertical. But I respect your thinking here.

But still....if Denver makes a pick there, why WR with Thomas, Welker, Sanders, Caldwell, and 3 pass-catching TEs on the roster?

That is another good question and i can answer it faster. I just don't see any good value/need options for Denver here. LB/G/WR/CB (incase talib goes down) all make sense here.

Clearly we disagree on Verret. If Denver sees him they way you do then he is the pick. Otherwise no CB worth taking.

LB. No one worth taking here. I think Noy - LB is over hyped and going to fall and he is probably the best of the group as far as what Denver might be looking for. Again i just don't believe in him.

Guards does make a lot of sense but i am not just a believer in drafting guards in the first. OTs sure... but generally not Guards. Bitinio and Su-Filo would both be decent options if Denver chooses to go that way though. This was the closest i came to making a different pick and might change it with new info cause it was very close.

WR is obviously where i went. Robinson has risen up the boards even more for good reason. He also tends to fit very well what Denver does and can immediately fill the skill set of Decker. Also Denver is a little shaky at the position. Thomas is a stud no question. Welker however had an off year last year and was not the player we are use to seeing. I don't see why he would be better this year. I think he is losing it a tad. Sanders to me is a 3rd WR. He is not a guy who can come in and do what Decker did. You can argue with J. Thomas is good enough to be the 2nd option but I am not so sure. I think he benefited more by Thomas/Decker than they did him and as a 2nd option he will not look so good.

Also they lost Moreno and did not replace him. Ball is not ready to carry the load and missing that pass catching threat at RB is gonna hurt more than people think. I think the loss of Decker/Moreno is being a bit understated and Denver could use another play making option. Now this does not mean i think they NEED a skill position player high in this draft but it is not like they certainly could use one.

Last edited:
It was not originally set up that way; I had to change it after i realized i did a double pick with Manziel. I am going to change that later after I have some more time to look at it.
Not meaning to nitpick, but you also have DAL and BAL (picks 16 and 17) backwards.

Dallas won the coin toss; therefore, they are ahead of BAL

Isn't this patsfans 37th Rule of Player Acquisition?

It's third behind:

1. "But <insert name of high level FA> will want to play for a winner like us so will take a discount.

2. Our backup QB is clearly worth a first round pick to anybody else.

Not meaning to nitpick, but you also have DAL and BAL (picks 16 and 17) backwards.

Dallas won the coin toss; therefore, they are ahead of BAL

Thx for the correction. Fixed : p

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back