PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4/21 new 7 round mock from Todd McShay

Forgive me for not going back through the archieves- I'm sure this was touched on back in February. While I like Cody Brown, I see him as an ILB in our Defense. I have never seen this type of conversion take less than 3 years. He would have to be super valuable on ST to be picked this high by the Pats (and even then I wouldn't do it). I see him more as a 4th round for us to get any value out of the pick. JMO.

One thing about Butler, he's a player, he's got good ball skills, good tackler.

I remember watching the combine and all the scouts were saying that he was by far the best in some of the drills (swinging hips, feet, change of direction). So, I'm not sure where you're seeing Jenkins has much better hips.

My only concern with Butler is in his situational awareness. A zone isn't easy to play and sometimes he blew coverages. But he's a football player, sticks his nose in there, and he goes all out for the team. He's a leader.

It seems like people are jumping on the Malcom Jenkins bandwagon. Im just curious as to why? He played in a weak passing conference in the Big 10 and his defense that he played on was a college scheme defense. He played mainly man cover 2. The pats play more cover 2 zone schemes; which is similar to what UCON Played thus the pats are interested in Butler who is comfortable in zone coverages.

Bandwagon?

Jenkins likely would have been the first CB off the board last year. A three-year starter at CB at a football factory, even in the Big 10 (correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Purdue throw the ball? Michigan until Rodriguez? Illinois?) who can lock down a WR is a highly desirable player. I don't buy this b.s. that he has to convert to safety in the NFL.

McShay updated his first-round draft this morning.

Connor Barwin at #23 to the Patriots

You can argue about whether his picks are the best we could get, IMHO you CANNOT argue about the POSITIONS he selected to take. OLB, CB, and S would be what I'd do with the first 3 picks. Then, with the exception of RB, I love the positions of later picks.

I think in the 3rd round we grab a limited, but solid ILB run stuffer, who will be able to stand up to the big Gs in the 3-4, and I won't care if he sucks in pass coverage, because he'll be on the bench along with any other ILB we have on the roster other than Jarod Mayo.

In my ideal draft we'd move up to get Jenkins, then add Barwin at 34, then Wm Moore at 57, then some OL and ILB run stuffer in round 3. After that we should grab some injured WR like the LSU kid who got in the car wreck in round 7. After those six, if I had my way we'd trade the rest of those picks, except the comp picks, into 2010.

If they DON'T trade up, I'd settle for DButler, Barwin, Moore and some OLman with the first 4 picks.

Oh, BTW my pick of Barwin at 34 is predicated on getting Jason Taylor. Because there isn't any way he'll be ready to play the OLB position this year. At most I'd hope he'd stand out on special teams, and show some spark as an occassional situational pass rusher.

Last edited:

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back