PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mel Kiper First Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
My argument against Suh is simple, look at the Redskins this year, you have the most dominant DT in the game, but no QB. Does he make your team that much better? No.

And to make things worse for the Rams, their QB's are even worse than the ultra-crappy Jason Campbell.

It also makes the Jason smith pick a waste, who is he blocking for?

Suh is the best player available, but it just makes no sense at all, last year the Lions drafted purely best player available, EXCEPT when it came to a potential franchise QB, because you simple need one to win consistantly.

Right now I think the top 5 will go:

Clausen
Suh
Mccoy
Bradford
Berry

Last edited:
2nd Round I can get on board with... use him in passing down situations where he can just rush the passer.

I disagree with the coverage issue Ochmed, I know that Lane played against inferior competition, but he was more than adequate in coverage as a Junior.

How did you get tape on Murray State? I can not find it anywhere. Heck the information office over there didn;t even know if they had an SID working for the school when I called trying to get tapes of their games.

My argument against Suh is simple, look at the Redskins this year, you have the most dominant DT in the game, but no QB. Does he make your team that much better? No.

And to make things worse for the Rams, their QB's are even worse than the ultra-crappy Jason Campbell.

Suh is the best player available, but it just makes no sense at all, last year the Lions drafted purely best player available, EXCEPT when it came to a potential franchise QB, because you simple need one to win consistantly.

Right now I think the top 5 will go:

Clausen
Suh
Mccoy
Bradford
Berry

If I am the Rams I have to ask myself if the grades given to Clausen or Bradford are so vastly superior to the grades for McCoy or Pike that it warrants using a first round pick on a QB. I do not think so. I think you take the best player on your board and come back in the second round and take the best QB left on your board, because at the end of the day, the grades for these QB's are all going to be fairly close and none will grade all that highly.

Kiper is not useful for predicting patriot picks. However, his early analysis is better than most.

If you want better analysis close to the draft, I would chooie Gosselin.

I did a little looking:

2009 draft:
Kiper has the Patriots taking Donald Brown at #23. Instead the Patriots take no RB's the whole draft.

2008 draft:
Kiper has the Patriots taking Keith Rivers and has Mayo going #29 overall. Right church, wrong pew (and a poor evaluation of Mayo).

2007 draft:
Tells us the Patriots will select Posluszney and Meacham. Obviously 1 of the picks was traded out, but the Patriots didn't take a single WR anyways.

Had the NEP taking Santonio Holmes at #21. They took Maroney, though soon after traded up for Chad Jackson.

If I am the Rams I have to ask myself if the grades given to Clausen or Bradford are so vastly superior to the grades for McCoy or Pike that it warrants using a first round pick on a QB. I do not think so. I think you take the best player on your board and come back in the second round and take the best QB left on your board, because at the end of the day, the grades for these QB's are all going to be fairly close and none will grade all that highly.
Yep, I'd prefer Dan LeFevour or Pike or McCoy ahead of drafting a round one QB...unless they think they can get Tebow pointed in the right direction.

That's a pretty terrible mock. There is no way in Hell St. Louis skips out on a quarterback with the first pick in the draft. I don't care how good Suh is.

Alternatively you could look at the NYJ. They're playing in the AFCC with a QB who's stats were worse than JaMarcus Russell's were his own rookie year. They have a good defense and a good running game. Maybe St. Louis' defense improves significantly with Suh on board and Steven Jackson helps them score enough points to get near .500.

We've seen too many top of the draft QB's get paid huge $, try to shoulder the burden of rescuing a franchise and then failing miserably while their huge paychecks burdening the team for me to think that Jimmy Clausen would help the Rams more than Suh. Notre Dame was 3-9, 7-6, 6-6 in seasons where Jimmy saw significant playing time. There is every possibility he's worse than Brady Quinn.

FWIW, Mike Mayock has come out declaring that no QB in this draft is worth the #1 pick, and that he expects Suh or McCoy to go #1:

Analyst: No quarterback worthy of No. 1 pick in NFL draft - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com

That's a pretty terrible mock. There is no way in Hell St. Louis skips out on a quarterback with the first pick in the draft. I don't care how good Suh is.
I actually think it's a very good mock. But STL probably goes after Clausen. What a tough call! It be almost impossible for me to pass on Suh. But he can get overpowered at the point of attack by more massive specimens like Texas Tech's behemoth Brandon Carter did to him this past season.

But looking at the success of a miserable franchise on the ropes like Atlanta and how they responded after getting an elite rookie QB, BC's Matt Ryan, will probably sway them.

I bet Parcells has his eyes on McClain. If he gets to him, that would make that defense much, much better. I hope Parcells doesn't have one of his great drafts like he did with the Patriots in the mid -90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back