PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty to stay with Patriots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great way to start a Monday morning...nice waking up to this news!!!! Off to a good start in free agency.

This is jolly good news to wake up to!

It does seem that there was a major chance to me waking up to McCourty as an Eagle. Glad to see we have paid him, yet he wants to stay instead of going to the highest bidder.

There will be some victims here, namely Vereen and Ayers, if of course we pay up for Revis, That will be sad, but money doesn't grow on trees.

It really is a good time to be a Patriot!

Having been a fan of the Pats from day one I feel like I earned this time. After all, I was a passenger on the NFL's clown car for a good portion of 40 years before the Pats became Kings of the NFL.

Other teams' fans loved our team back then, but they hate us now. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

DMac's signing is a good example of the Pats strategy of NOT bidding against themselves. Although it would seem very risky to allow their key FA's to essentially get to FA (the legal tampering period is pretty much the first step into the FA period.). I believe the Pats found quickly found out that McCourty's market price was higher than they expected. My guess they put a price in the range of $8-8.5zMM/yr on him. Once they got a look at the market they upped that offer, and McCourty took it, even though he reportedly left some money on the table from other teams.

The Pats made their offer close enough to the market so that it was easier for McCourty make the "right" decision. For some players money isn't the only consideration in a contract negotiation. When considering the Pats the negatives are you probably won't get the last dollar, and they will work your ass off. But the positives are you will get to play in a great atmosphere, and locker room, improve your game with great coaching, and win. Most of the time, whatever dollars you loose in your contract, you can make up long term in playoff payouts, and off the field financial considerations.

Now as the focus turn to Revis, I expect a similar pattern to emerge. However I wonder if the competitive market for Revis will be a vigorous as DMac's. How many teams are willing to overpay (over $1hMM+/yr) for a 30 year old, albeit elite, CB. I don't think there are too many. In fact the reports are only the Jets seem ready to pull that trigger.

If that's the case, I'm also pretty sure that the Pats' best offer is going to be similar to the Sherman contract at $14MM/yr. I also think that will be enough to bring Revis back when he considers all the other positives resigning here will bring to his brand.

It should also be noted that while the Pats rarely pay "top dollar" they are usually "in the ball park" with their offers.

Last edited:
This is great news. McCourty is one of the better safeties in the league and deserves this. Now they just have to lock up Revis long term.

The sequencing of how this went down makes total sense on a few levels. Pats didn't have control of DMC so they needed to get this done. They do with Revis and have options. If they had lost Revis but kept DMC they still have "that guy"who can play CF and protect vs the long ball. If they lost DMC and kept Revis they'd be worse at being able to help the other side but also lacking that CF presence. If they lost both it would be really tough.

What is also does is send a clear message to Revis that everyone in the secondary he played with last year is coming back. They are prepared to defend their title- with or without him.

Last edited:
Now as the focus turn to Revis, I expect a similar pattern to emerge. However I wonder if the competitive market for Revis will be a vigorous as DMac's. How many teams are willing to overpay (over $1hMM+/yr) for a 30 year old, albeit elite, CB.

FYI - Revis is only 2 years older than McCourty. Revis will turn 30 by start of the year, McCourty 28. I don't think age will be a huge factor in the Revis contract, the man is going to get paid.

DMac's signing is a good example of the Pats strategy of NOT bidding agaunts themselves.

I agree with this 100%. While some Patriot fans are literally gnawing their fingers off the Patriots allowed other teams to set the market parameters before extending their offers. Once again demonstrating that they know exactly what they are doing even if the fans don't.

Oh yay, I've been waiting for DMac to resign because I want his jersey. This guy (and his brother) are class acts. These are types of leaders you can't put a price on. This guy is smart, hardworking and talented, plus a big leader on the team and in the community. There was no way BB was letting him get away.

FYI - Revis is only 2 years older than McCourty. Revis will turn 30 by start of the year, McCourty 28. I don't think age will be a huge factor in the Revis contract, the man is going to get paid.
BM, I never compared Revis' age with DMac's. That's apples to oranges. The apples to apples comparison is with Peterson and Sherman, who are Revis's immediate peers. They are both 4 years younger and are arguably just as good as Revis. They are also much taller, and more physically gifted.

So the question still remains, why would you play significantly more to Revis (ie $16MM/yr) than you would to Sherman/Peterson ($14MM/yr) The answer is, you wouldn't, nor is Revis expecting you to. So all the media driven 3 year 48MM and their like, are just that, media driven with no real grasp on reality. No team, other than maybe the Jets, would go much beyond that $14/MM figure, And if the Pats are in that $14/MM ball park, even $16MM isn't going get the Jets Revis back.

BTW- I doubt very much even the Jets are that crazy.

It must hurt to be smarter than anyone else. Pats sets initial value to see if player will sign, if he does not, then they wait, wait, and finally attempt to come close to what the market sets knowing smart players will also choose winning. I think in his case, winning accounted for about 3-4mil discount.

Just a thought. Anyone know the details of Dmac's brother's contract. It will be interesting to compare the 2. Who knows, now that his brother has failed to lure him to the Titan's, maybe in a year or 2, Devin might lure his brother here.

Compare this tactic to how the Dolphins are in a bidding war for an troublesome player, Suh.

This is why the Patriots are on top, year after year.

Just a thought. Anyone know the details of Dmac's brother's contract. It will be interesting to compare the 2. Who knows, now that his brother has failed to lure him to the Titan's, maybe in a year or 2, Devin might lure his brother here.

Their mother must be proud...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/jason-mccourty/

Jason McCourty signed a 6 year / $43,040,000 contract with the Tennessee Titans, including a $9,000,000 signing bonus, $17,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $7,173,333.

Their mother must be proud...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/jason-mccourty/

Jason McCourty signed a 6 year / $43,040,000 contract with the Tennessee Titans, including a $9,000,000 signing bonus, $17,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $7,173,333.
Now the next question would be, just how good is Jason as a CB. Granted he's on a horrible team, but what do the ratings gurus at FO's and PFF think about him. Is he worth the $7MM the Titan's are paying him?

BTW- looks like that was a pretty well structured contract that would make Jason a potential cap casualty in 2017, with a $7MM cap hit and no cap consequence that year.

It's a very bad time to be a Polamalu fanboy. Nothing wrong with liking the guy, but he has close to nothing left, so you're probably gonna be alone on this issue.

If he has close to nothing left bring him in like we did Lynch to see if there is anything there, hurts no one.
A roster space
Ridiculous. Thats just jumping to the assumption that he even makes the team and thats not what I'm saying at all

To read about this as the first thing to happen after i wake up is incredible. I may need to reevaluate mondays

...nah,it still sucks(if we get a Revis signing news, though...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST