PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCann thinks this is total war

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to get too mushy about what is in reality a back alley, bare knuckles fight, but, yes, in many ways the Patriots are standing up for the rights of players across the NFL and getting hammered left and right for it. That's why I admire a guy like Cromartie for stepping up for Brady this week. He knows what is at stake. It's shocking, actually, that nearly every other high profile player has stayed on the sidelines while Brady fights for their rights.

I'm afraid that, for me, Robert Kraft's defining moment, despite all that he has done to build this Franchise from a laughingstock, will be his backing down in May because he failed to realize that the situation called for him to "become the enemy of the rest of...[the Owners]."

It's nice that Bob has subsequently acknowledged his mistake, but the words of Neville Chamberlain on the day when Great Britain inevitably went to war with Germany bear a striking resemblance to Kraft's "apology": "Everything that I have worked for, everything that I have hoped for, everything that I have believed in during my public life has crashed into ruins. There is only one thing left for me to do: that is devote what strength and power I have to forwarding the victory of the cause for which we have sacrificed so much."

We're still waiting to see whether that was more than words, Mr. Kraft. Not much from the Owners' Box so far, I'm afraid.
This is all splashback from his previous unwavering support for Goodell. I read somewhere that Jerry Jones wanted to sue the NFL over the salary cap sanctions and was talked off the ledge by Kraft, "for the good of the league". Just one of several instances. So, when that argument was turned against him by the other owners, he folded. You reap what you sow.

Not to get too mushy about what is in reality a back alley, bare knuckles fight, but, yes, in many ways the Patriots are standing up for the rights of players across the NFL and getting hammered left and right for it. That's why I admire a guy like Cromartie for stepping up for Brady this week. He knows what is at stake. It's shocking, actually, that nearly every other high profile player has stayed on the sidelines while Brady fights for their rights.

I'm afraid that, for me, Robert Kraft's defining moment, despite all that he has done to build this Franchise from a laughingstock, will be his backing down in May because he failed to realize that the situation called for him to "become the enemy of the rest of...[the Owners]."

It's nice that Bob has subsequently acknowledged his mistake, but the words of Neville Chamberlain on the day when Great Britain inevitably went to war with Germany bear a striking resemblance to Kraft's "apology": "Everything that I have worked for, everything that I have hoped for, everything that I have believed in during my public life has crashed into ruins. There is only one thing left for me to do: that is devote what strength and power I have to forwarding the victory of the cause for which we have sacrificed so much."

We're still waiting to see whether that was more than words, Mr. Kraft. Not much from the Owners' Box so far, I'm afraid.

I think the recent players poll was telling and may have been a wake up call for the owners, although it seems they might have hit the snooze button at the moment. The next CBA discussions will be littered with Brady v Goodell conversations. The NFLPA may not give in until more controls over the Commissioners powers have been established. If the owners want to do anything to quench that fire they may have to get rid of Goodell as an early Christmas gift. Just a thought.

Fantastic Chamberlain comparison. Two good guys who were torched by their blind faith.

**** on all that "Settlement" talk.

Why negotiate with Scum??

Wow Grid. I think that's the first post of yours that I did not have to google. Have you been hanging out a Harley bars lately?

semper ubi sub ubi..............................

Always wear underwear.........(close enough..good enough for gov't and the NFL)
But that flies in the face of Cottonelle's new Commando ad campaign.

Ties in with Jefferson's "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

To put it in context with our current situation does that mean going after the NFL*'s anti-trust exemption or even prosecuting them under RICO?

Regarding McCann's citing the NFL filing : “evidence of McNally’s demands for cash, clothing and autographed items from Brady, some of which Brady provided.”

I know that McNally requested autographs, jerseys and other bling, but cash? Where does that come from? Was that in the Wells report?

I have to go back and read it but that sounds like an interpretation. I do not remember demand for cash and had there been I think we would have heard about that more than the "deflator" text. IMO

To put it in context with our current situation does that mean going after the NFL*'s anti-trust exemption or even prosecuting them under RICO?
For Kraft, that would be like holding the gun to his head and threatening to shoot the hostage.

I have to go back and read it but that sounds like an interpretation. I do not remember demand for cash and had there been I think we would have heard about that more than the "deflator" text. IMO
Would be interesting if that's yet another NFL lie.

So is there any way this can all be resolved to where the Pats are going to be allowed to compete again on a level playing field?

Is there anything in the league rules against retribution by the league? What is to keep the league from finding more punishable offenses against the Pats?

If Brady wins and Goodell is not removed, or is replaced by someone else his is not impartial or hostile to the Pats, how will we get a fair shake?

Is there an end game where Brady, BB, and the Pats are made whole?

That is THE question.
Unfortunately, our owner's unilateral surrender signals the corrupt league front office and 31 butthurt owners that the Patsies are an easy target without retribution.
That is the worst result of Vichy Bob's capitulation.

Regarding McCann's citing the NFL filing : “evidence of McNally’s demands for cash, clothing and autographed items from Brady, some of which Brady provided.”

I know that McNally requested autographs, jerseys and other bling, but cash? Where does that come from? Was that in the Wells report?

This is what he was referencing in regards to cash:

upload_2015-8-15_11-29-14.png

When JJ is making comments like "can't wait to give you your needle this week", McNally responds with something to the effect that it had better be in a box surrounded by new kicks and cash.

If Brady's case is as strong as Michael McCann, Steph Stradley, Daniel Wallach, etc. feel it is, Brady has no reason to do anything but fight to the bitter end since he looks to have a slam dunk at this point.

I also do think that it was funny that the second that the NFL loses control of the narrative and the situation and cannot leak whatever they want and bar the Pats from countering, they get their asses kicked left and right. If I was Goodell, I would want to get out of the courts all together. I can't wait until this week when Judge Berman tried to call Ted Wells and Jeff Pash and the League tries to claim attorney-client privilege.

When JJ is making comments like "can't wait to give you your needle this week", McNally responds with something to the effect that it had better be in a box surrounded by new kicks and cash.

Yeah, you're right:

upload_2015-8-15_11-33-54.png

The NFL filing refers McNally and he's not mentioned in that quote.

Yes that's correct. Patsfan98117 posted the most likely quote McCann was referring to.

I wonder if the inclusion of Goodell on a personal level was to try to get him to testify this coming We'd ( if rumors of witnesses are true) so Kessler can rip him a new orifice. Getting deposed or cross examined is never fun, and I imagine less so when it is by one of the top litigators in the nation.

EDIT Just saw McCann's comments that only people who testified in the appeal could be witnesses, so it limits it to Goodell and Brady.......Did Wells testify or was he just there for window dressing??

Called Witnesses at the appeal: Brady, Wells, Troy Vincent, Edward Snyder (Yale Professor), Robert Caligiuri (Exponent), Duane Steffey (Exponent), Daniel Marlow (Princeton Prof)

In the room (Witnesses TO the appeal):

NFLPA/Brady: (Attorneys) Kessler, David Greenspan, Johnathan Amoona, Benjamin Sokoly, Andrew Tulumello, Yee, Stephen Dubin

NFL: (Attorneys) Tom DePaso, Heather McPhee, Lorin Reisner, Douglas Burns, Amy Gold, Daniel Nash (Lead Attorney for the NFL), Goodell (Arbitrator)

Another would be Jeff Pash, maybe. He wasn't in the room (maybe that was on purpose), but undisputed fact in the record is that Pash co-authored (or at least 'edited') the Wells/Pash report, so his presence could be considered material.

Fun fact, last time Kessler cross-examined Goodell, he nearly left the stand in tears.

http://deadspin.com/transcript-roger-goodell-doesnt-know-whats-going-on-1669810412

McNally and Brady had no phone communications.

"evidence of McNally’s demands for cash, clothing and autographed items from Brady"

How is this not just a blatant lie? Why are they saying the judge can't review the case, and putting non-legal case arguments in their brief.

So is there any way this can all be resolved to where the Pats are going to be allowed to compete again on a level playing field?

Is there anything in the league rules against retribution by the league? What is to keep the league from finding more punishable offenses against the Pats?

If Brady wins and Goodell is not removed, or is replaced by someone else his is not impartial or hostile to the Pats, how will we get a fair shake?

Is there an end game where Brady, BB, and the Pats are made whole?

No. Bob Kraft made sure of that. The NFL can at least save some face, thanks to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents