PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCann thinks this is total war

Status
Not open for further replies.
I strongly disagree. Not appealing an unwinnable case is hardly a defining moment (despite the loud lamentations of Patriots fans of such a "traitorous" decision).

The defining moment is Kraft standing up before the world and saying he was wrong to put his trust in the Commissioner. THAT declaration was the first public step to change the way the NFL does business with its players and its teams.

I was wrong when I surmised that Kraft would be able to bring action on this issue at the 8/11 owner's meeting. Whether it was not having the time to address this issue in a special 1-day meeting for the move to LA or not having the support of the other owners, I don't know. But I remain convinced that Kraft is working behind the scenes (where he does his best and most effective work) to right the wrongs of the NFL.

This is the advantage of being an owner - they ultimately control the fate of the Commissioner if they can just get agreement amongst themselves on what the person in that position needs to be doing.

This was never going to be about a lawsuit by Kraft; that's not how Kraft works nor is there much chance of success in any lawsuit. This is all about changing a power-mad Commissioner. The longer this legal challenge goes on and the NFL is defined by their totalitarian legal arguments, the greater chance that other NFL owners will see that they are reaping what they sowed in Goodell and will demand a change.

Ultimate victory will be ours -but not by a scorched earth policy. And it won't be just by words, either. But this will take time. I know that patience is a slim commodity in this world of instant communications and expectations. But patience, as shown by Brady, the NFLPA and their legal team, eventually not just wins but demolishes the opposition as we are seeing. (We haven't seen the judges ruling yet, but how can you not be confident given their legal briefs and arguments.)

Kraft will be remembered not only for fostering peace between the players and owners during their labor negotiations, but also for battling the worst commissioner of our lifetime - and winning. Victory is ours - but it won't come overnight.

Kraft could have announced he wasn't appealing or suing, for reasons of practicality, yet shaken his fist at the league at the same time. That would have been a much stronger statement than supporting them in May, then reneging in July.

Actually, he should have appealed. There was no real downside to that. Not even appealing compounded the PR offense.

Kraft should have appealed. Even if you "know you're going to lose" you appeal to at least give SOME semblance of caring. Not suing is reasonable. Not appealing was unreasonable. It will take a lot for me to get over the lost picks/Kraft's actions after creating (yes, I know it was obviously not Kraft or prob even his idea) an excellent website...

Last edited:
I strongly disagree. Not appealing an unwinnable case is hardly a defining moment (despite the loud lamentations of Patriots fans of such a "traitorous" decision).

The defining moment is Kraft standing up before the world and saying he was wrong to put his trust in the Commissioner. THAT declaration was the first public step to change the way the NFL does business with its players and its teams.

I was wrong when I surmised that Kraft would be able to bring action on this issue at the 8/11 owner's meeting. Whether it was not having the time to address this issue in a special 1-day meeting for the move to LA or not having the support of the other owners, I don't know. But I remain convinced that Kraft is working behind the scenes (where he does his best and most effective work) to right the wrongs of the NFL.

This is the advantage of being an owner - they ultimately control the fate of the Commissioner if they can just get agreement amongst themselves on what the person in that position needs to be doing.

This was never going to be about a lawsuit by Kraft; that's not how Kraft works nor is there much chance of success in any lawsuit. This is all about changing a power-mad Commissioner. The longer this legal challenge goes on and the NFL is defined by their totalitarian legal arguments, the greater chance that other NFL owners will see that they are reaping what they sowed in Goodell and will demand a change.

Ultimate victory will be ours -but not by a scorched earth policy. And it won't be just by words, either. But this will take time. I know that patience is a slim commodity in this world of instant communications and expectations. But patience, as shown by Brady, the NFLPA and their legal team, eventually not just wins but demolishes the opposition as we are seeing. (We haven't seen the judges ruling yet, but how can you not be confident given their legal briefs and arguments.)

Kraft will be remembered not only for fostering peace between the players and owners during their labor negotiations, but also for battling the worst commissioner of our lifetime - and winning. Victory is ours - but it won't come overnight.
I think we agree on the objective, but see the tactics differently. For all practical purposes, Kraft's decision in May is now water under the bridge, so let's just see how this plays out.

Kraft should have appealed. Even if you "know you're going to lose" you appeal to at least give SOME semblance of caring. Not suing is reasonable. Not appealing was unreasonable.
Appealing would also have gotten the league on record with statements/contradictions/BS that might have been helpful to Brady when he went to court.....
There were so many positive reasons to appeal , even if it was futile that it is incomprehensible why Kraft didn't appeal UNLESS Roger gave him a wink and nod that the punishment for Brady would be reduced. Then when Roger reneged and kept it the same Kraft finally realized what we all saw before that he got shafted.....

So Kraft has done nothing to defend the rights of his franchise, but after it is too late he realizes the fans hate him for it, so he gets in front of a press conference, refuses to take questions and says he was wrong and the league he defended and conspired with sucks, and that means to you he is championing the cause only in ways no one can see. Awfully gullible. Sadly though, many fans like you bought the Kraft Koolaid.
You must feel desperate empathy for the serial killers who find God on death row.

I think we agree on the objective, but see the tactics differently. For all practical purposes, Kraft's decision in May is now water under the bridge, so let's just see how this plays out.

Let's face it, Kraft's backing of Goodell all this time was a major strategic blunder. Kraft's misplaced trust in Goodell has been absolutely disastrous for the franchise. If Kraft has finally "seen the light" (and he must be incredibility obtuse not to have seen it back in 2007), he owes it to the fans to do everything in his power to set things right. By that I mean getting Goodell and his crew out of a position of authority and replacing him with someone more like Tagliabue.

Forgive my frustration but, it seems like we missed a golden opportunity to pluck this tumor out during the Ray Rice scandal when public opinion was heavily against him. Now, the tumor has metastasized and he has recaptured public opinion by picking on the team everyone loves to hate. :mad:

Appealing would also have gotten the league on record with statements/contradictions/BS that might have been helpful to Brady when he went to court.....
There were so many positive reasons to appeal , even if it was futile that it is incomprehensible why Kraft didn't appeal UNLESS Roger gave him a wink and nod that the punishment for Brady would be reduced. Then when Roger reneged and kept it the same Kraft finally realized what we all saw before that he got shafted.....

Sadly the reason he didn't appeal was that the owners came to him and told him that challenging Goodell will hurt the owners stranglehold over the players.
As it turns out, it would have been better for Goodell if Kraft appealed and won, than what is about to happen in NY, and then in the re-arbitration.

Everyone who thinks this has gone on too long, and that the NFL has embarrassed themselves, need to recognize that Kraft's scared little boy maneuver has made that worse.

iur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick