PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCann: Going to be a very tense hearing on Deflategate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain because for the life of me, I can't connect the dots on that one.

ummmm....people on this board donating to Brady's defamation suit?

really? you needed that?

it's in the same bizarre realm as rooting for/against an owner

I took it as a "rich get richer, poor get poorer" comment. The idea that someone on this board (unless their family name is on a building at Harvard or they are pulling down very, very big bucks somewhere) would contribute money to fund a law suit by a guy whose net worth is already in the nine figure range is kind of mind boggling...

Symbolic really, I'm simply saying I support the idea completely I just don't think he will do it.

ummmm....people on this board donating to Brady's defamation suit?

really? you needed that?

it's in the same bizarre realm as rooting for/against an owner

Are you actually this stupid or just pretending to be?

I took it as a "rich get richer, poor get poorer" comment. The idea that someone on this board (unless their family name is on a building at Harvard or they are pulling down very, very big bucks somewhere) would contribute money to fund a law suit by a guy whose net worth is already in the nine figure range is kind of mind boggling...

I may have them take my name off my building at Harvard.

I am joking illegal contact.

I wasn't serious

Really, there aren't any buildings at Harvard bearing my name, only Columbia.

d
oh jeezus.......

9077e874a244a2f30e3a91776396c75d773c2d9d0add5ed99bb01ffe6a43a9bf.jpg

it was certainly the wrong wording, if it was discovered in open court that Pash pushed Wells one way, and it was found out that the colts knew the balls were going to be tested, that is enough for 1/2 the haters to have pause. And Godell to testify on why he said that brady refused to talk about the conversations leading to the superbowl when in fact he did. This will cause the league the same amount of embarrassment that they caused Brady.

d

it was certainly the wrong wording, if it was discovered in open court that Pash pushed Wells one way, and it was found out that the colts knew the balls were going to be tested, that is enough for 1/2 the haters to have pause. And Godell to testify on why he said that brady refused to talk about the conversations leading to the superbowl when in fact he did. This will cause the league the same amount of embarrassment that they caused Brady.

you do understand that the haters don't care if anyone on the pats is actually guilty or not.........they love the fact that the pats are getting this attention whether it is deserved or not

if the league is not embarrassed by now, it is not going to be

I'd love to hear how Brady has more to lose than he stands to gain by filing a defamation lawsuit. Because, honestly, opening up the NFL to the scrutiny of the legal system over this is exactly what needs to happen. We deserve to know whether or not it was a sting operation that was set up by the league. We need to know who, exactly, was involved. Because, in all honesty, if the league officials are not treating each team fairly, as they are dictated to by the rules they have to follow, then they need to be removed and compensation awarded to the Patriots.

Forget about the public. The "haters", the "ill-informed", and the "dumb". They aren't what matters..

What matters is that defamation was committed and breaking up this lie of "integrity" that Goodell continues to perpetuate..

Quick research shows that the SOL for defamation in MA is three years. The appellate process for the arbitration award will almost certainly be resolved (in Brady's favor) within that time.

However, unless Brady plans on retiring before the SOL runs, a defamation suit against Goodell and the league while he's still playing would be awkward to say the least. It may not be good business on Brady's part to go through with it.

Quick research shows that the SOL for defamation in MA is three years. The appellate process for the arbitration award will almost certainly be resolved (in Brady's favor) within that time.

However, unless Brady plans on retiring before the SOL runs, a defamation suit against Goodell and the league while he's still playing would be awkward to say the least. It may not be good business on Brady's part to go through with it.
The flip side of that is that if the league takes any arbitrary action against him then (while he is still playing) , it looks like retaliatory in nature and puts the league under a microscope.

The flip side of that is that if the league takes any arbitrary action against him then (while he is still playing) , it looks like retaliatory in nature and puts the league under a microscope.

Maybe, but I doubt the league is really going to sweat that. They pretty much have ESPN under their thumb and have done a pretty effective job of demonizing the Patriots and their supporters.

The general consensus (even among Patriots haters) was that the regular season game in Denver was manipulated by the league through the officials. I didn't exactly see any rioting in the streets over that injustice.:rolleyes:

That's been discussed at some length out here. While you and I agree that this was a malicious "sting" by the NFL, Goodell and the League are probably protected because most of their statements were made in the context of the court proceeding. Proving the sting would be tough and would require convincing a jury

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying.

Brady does not have to prove "The NFL set up a sting operation."

He has to prove: (1) that the 'published' allegations are false, and (2) that the NFL either knew the allegations were false or acted with "reckless disregard" for the truth (the so-called "actual malice" standard). [Since it's a civil case, though, he doesn't need "beyond a reasonable doubt" proof.]

In my mind, the easiest statement would be the one where Goodell essentially claimed Brady said the opposite of what he said under oath; given that Goodell had the transcripts, and was physically present in the room, how could he possibly come to that conclusion?

I would donate right now to support a defamation suit by Brady I just don't believe he will file one. I. Think he just wants it over and done with so he can focus entirely on winning championships.

Helping Mr. Brady financially has been attempted before, but the groundswell of support got little traction for Tom......

https://www.gofundme.com/zvdqf9wc#

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying.

Brady does not have to prove "The NFL set up a sting operation."

He has to prove: (1) that the 'published' allegations are false, and (2) that the NFL either knew the allegations were false or acted with "reckless disregard" for the truth (the so-called "actual malice" standard). [Since it's a civil case, though, he doesn't need "beyond a reasonable doubt" proof.]

In my mind, the easiest statement would be the one where Goodell essentially claimed Brady said the opposite of what he said under oath; given that Goodell had the transcripts, and was physically present in the room, how could he possibly come to that conclusion?
I'd love it if Goodell could be nailed for that, but I believe that those statements are protected because they were part of the proceedings. But, IANAL, and will bow to those who know more about this than do I...and hope that I am wrong, BTW.

While I know this is not over, thought last year's verdict put the NFL in a decidedly uphill battle to overturn the decision.

Please wrap this up by summer and the NFL let it go.

I thought this thread had some actual news in it. I am disappointed.

By the way, Brady jerseys were the highest selling jerseys this season, with Gronk not too far behind according to ****'s Sporting Goods. Brady has a lot of love and support around all that hate.
****'S Sporting Goods Football Jersey Report

The judges are the key to this appeal..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results