PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock tidbit on Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you suppose that that's why I didn't say "2009" form? :eek:

I love it when guys attack my point by confirming it. ;)

What?? This doesn't make any sense. At all...

There's a school of thinking ~ one which I attend regularly ~ which suspects that Warren was worn out and hurting, ere the last two years: 2008 and 2009.

And I go a step further ~ I'm not the only one ~ and suggest that this injury was a blessing in disguise: an opportunity for him to Shut Down for awhile, and let the WHOLE body heal.

Hence: My theory that he's poised to come back rejuvenated, AFTER he's had some time to take it back through the gears.

It's just a theory, my good man. And I've been wrong many times.

But, then: I usually court Long Shots. :D

You're allowed to believe any theory you like, including the JFK conspiracy theory, string theory, "Jesus is the son of a virgin" theory, or the "Ty Warren needed a full year to let his body heal" theory.

However, facts are facts. JFK is dead. So is Jesus. String theory will never be proven. And Ty Warren has been declining since 2006 - the same year he signed his big contract, coincidentally or not - and will now be attempting to come back from hip surgery.

Now, would I expect Ty Warren to return to his 2007 form by, say, the second half of this coming year, or the the beginning of 2012? Absolutely. I believe he'll be ALL the way back. But I think his chances of full recovery are actually improved by NOT asking him to jump back in into full time work: Let the man take it through the gears, as History has made clear is necessary.

Ty Warren peaked in 2006 and has been on the decline ever since. Why in the world would you expect him to be back to 2007 form? He wasn't as good in 2008 or 2009.

Do you suppose that that's why I didn't say "2009" form? :eek:

I love it when guys attack my point by confirming it. ;)

There's a school of thinking ~ one which I attend regularly ~ which suspects that Warren was worn out and hurting, ere the last two years: 2008 and 2009.

And I go a step further ~ I'm not the only one ~ and suggest that this injury was a blessing in disguise: an opportunity for him to Shut Down for awhile, and let the WHOLE body heal.

Hence: My theory that he's poised to come back rejuvenated, AFTER he's had some time to take it back through the gears.

It's just a theory, my good man. And I've been wrong many times.

But, then: I usually court Long Shots. :D

What?? This doesn't make any sense. At all...

Actually, it makes perfect sense to anybody who's familiar with how long it generally takes to FULLY recover from major injuries.

But it doesn't surprise me ~ in the least ~ that the concept baffles you.

You're allowed to believe any theory you like, including the JFK conspiracy theory, string theory, "Jesus is the son of a virgin" theory, or the "Ty Warren needed a full year to let his body heal" theory.

However, facts are facts. JFK is dead. So is Jesus. String theory will never be proven. And Ty Warren has been declining since 2006 - the same year he signed his big contract, coincidentally or not - and will now be attempting to come back from hip surgery.

~ JFK Conspiracy Theory.

~ String Theory.

~ "Jesus is the son of a virgin" Theory.

Those are interesting notions that you've managed to spin out of thin air.

MIND you: they have absolutely NOTHING to do with the subject at hand.

And they have nothing at ALL to do with your fumbling failure to grasp the simple concept that injuries take time to heal 100% from.

But that's OK: It's pretty common, when a dim bulb can't keep up with an argument, that he spazzes out, like you just did, and starts flinging random thoughts that have absolutely NOTHINg to do with the subject at hand.

But, hey: Good luck with that. ;)

He had 1 TFL in 2009.

And 45 total. Which is still better than the 26 that Gerard Warren got in 2010, or the 23 that Brace got, or the 14 that Wright got, or Pryor's 12, or Deaderick's 10, or Love's 7, etc.

Actually, it makes perfect sense to anybody who's familiar with how long it generally takes to FULLY recover from major injuries.

But it doesn't surprise me ~ in the least ~ that the concept baffles you.

~ JFK Conspiracy Theory.

~ String Theory.

~ "Jesus is the son of a virgin" Theory.

Those are interesting notions that you've managed to spin out of thin air.

MIND you: they have absolutely NOTHING to do with the subject at hand.

And they have nothing at ALL to do with your fumbling failure to grasp the simple concept that injuries take time to heal 100% from.

But that's OK: It's pretty common, when a dim bulb can't keep up with an argument, that he spazzes out, like you just did, and starts flinging random thoughts that have absolutely NOTHINg to do with the subject at hand.

But, hey: Good luck with that. ;)

Wow! Someone's in a bad mood. Did all the strippers in the strip joint stand you up again?

And 45 total. Which is still better than the 26 that Gerard Warren got in 2010, or the 23 that Brace got, or the 14 that Wright got, or Pryor's 12, or Deaderick's 10, or Love's 7, etc.

Absolutely. Ty has been an outstanding player for most of his career. Just to explain my point again - which I thought I made rather clearly - since 2006, he's been getting worse every year. If he gets back to where he was 3 years ago, that's great. But given his apparent dedication (such as skipping OTAs to get his college degree), I would not expect him to do so.

Absolutely. Ty has been an outstanding player for most of his career. Just to explain my point again - which I thought I made rather clearly - since 2006, he's been getting worse every year. If he gets back to where he was 3 years ago, that's great. But given his apparent dedication (such as skipping OTAs to get his college degree), I would not expect him to do so.
It is what it is ... I have little doubt stats for rush yards show that running at Ty isn't the easiest way to pick up a tough yard. :cool:

Wow! Someone's in a bad mood. Did all the strippers in the strip joint stand you up again?

Huh. I thought that getting "stood up" by a stripper was usually a good thing.

Absolutely clear and I'm not disagreeing with that part. However, in our earlier post, you went on form that point to speculate that Warren might be 50/50 to get cut after camp with the (perhaps unintentional) implication that he'd be cut because he's declining.

My counter-point was in reference to this last - saying that, even in decline, Warren has been more productive, tackle-wise, than any 2010 D-lineman not named Wilfork - the implication being that it might be smart to keep him around for that, if for no other reason.

Bucky's bringing out the BIG guns, now!!
jester.gif

Absolutely clear and I'm not disagreeing with that part. However, in our earlier post, you went on form that point to speculate that Warren might be 50/50 to get cut after camp with the (perhaps unintentional) implication that he'd be cut because he's declining.

My counter-point was in reference to this last - saying that, even in decline, Warren has been more productive, tackle-wise, than any 2010 D-lineman not named Wilfork - the implication being that it might be smart to keep him around for that, if for no other reason.

I did not mean to imply that he's 50/50 to get cut. Just that his chances of getting back to 2007 level are about the same as getting cut - both of which are low. Most likely, IMO, he's on the team and playing around his '09 level.

It's pretty easy to throw out a players' best season (a season in which he was the best 34 defensive lineman in football) and simply state that he has not been as good since. C'mon, I've heard better points made by a red-bull addled seven year old. Is this season a question after undergoing hip surgery? Yes. Is Ty Warren a massive upgrade over every alternative on the roster? Yes. To suggest anything different is just plain wrong.

Last edited:

Not when you're thinking the stripper is going to be your girlfriend.

It's pretty easy to throw out a players' best season (a season in which he was the best 34 defensive lineman in football) and simply state that he has not been as good since. C'mon, I've heard better points made by a red-bull addled seven year old. Is this season a question after undergoing hip surgery? Yes. Is Ty Warren a massive upgrade over every alternative on the roster? Yes. To suggest anything different is just plain wrong.

Yes, Warren had a career season in 2006 and followed it up pretty closely in 2007. But he has not been close since. So I'm merely pointing out that OTG's suggestion that he'll be back to 2007 form by mid-year is quite far-fetched.

To be honest, I've been rather disappointed with Ty over the past couple of years. If he gets back to being more than a 2-down run stuffer, that's great. If not, then what you said about him being an upgrade is really just an indictment of the rest of the DL.

It's pretty easy to throw out a players' best season (a season in which he was the best 34 defensive lineman in football) and simply state that he has not been as good since.

C'mon, I've heard better points made by a red-bull addled seven year old.

Is this season a question after undergoing hip surgery? Yes. Is Ty Warren a massive upgrade over every alternative on the roster? Yes. To suggest anything different is just plain wrong.

APTLY put, sir. :cool:

Too much talk about strippers, not enough pictures. :blahblah:

It's amazing how Watt has moved so much the past few weeks without playing a single game. He went from a guy who might be there at 33 to a guy we'd be lucky to get at 17 to a guy we have no chance of getting.

It reminds me of Pioli's comments a few years ago, which Reiss brought up again recently:

How do Patriots approach Combine? - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

“We’re a team that when we evaluate players, and stack them and rate them, we primarily do that based on their performance as football players. What happens from the last bowl game in January – there aren’t any games played from January to April, yet somehow, some way you see fast risers and fast fallers based on how guys work out in shorts and t-shirts, and that’s always been something that’s confused me a little bit. Very rarely on our team’s board will you see any fast risers or fast falls on players.”

“What happens sometimes for a multitude of reasons, the “draft experts” – and I always find that interesting, because the people who are the “draft experts” never have any responsibility of actually turning a name on draft day in down at the NFL Draft – [say] for different reasons, players rise or fall at the Combine, because people see a player and they don’t think he’s as fast as he is, or as strong as he is. It’s testing, and with some teams, you will see a fluctuation as to where they believe a player is, before or after their individual workout, whether it be at the Combine or at the school.”

“For the most part, players that in the past that have risen on our board, during the months of January, February, and early March, is when there is a great discrepancy between the evaluation process of the area scouts, regional scouts, and where they have a player rated, and where we [the decision makers in the draft] have a player rated. Very rarely is there a fast riser. What happens in terms of players being fast fallers will be predominantly situations where players get themselves into, where there is an arrest, or where there is additional information that is negative and has either been hidden in the past or somehow comes out, or where there is a serious transgression, which ends up being a situation where we may not want to end up dealing with a player.”

I dated a couple strippers back in my wild semi-youth and they were pretty good at standing me up.

Going to re-evaluate Watt. Wasn't too impressed with him at first but I've seen some good analysis itt.

Going to re-evaluate Watt. Wasn't too impressed with him at first but I've seen some good analysis itt.
I started the season saying he needed to stay for his senior year. When I saw him next I was impressed with his progress, and by the end of the season I had no problem with his decision to declare early. He's still a bit raw, but his athleticism, learning curve, and work ethic are all winners.

JJ Watt weighed in at 290. Is he big enough for our scheme? BB has never drafted a 3-4 DE in the first two rounds that was below 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes