PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock tidbit on Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there was an issue with Watson because at the time the Pats wanted an extra year negotiate4d on his contract. Now it's no longer an issue because the max number of years is stipulated by draft position. I don't think Watt's agent will matter if the Pats think he can become an excellent player for them.

He was doing the right thing for his client and would not give the Pats a 6th year. If I'm not mistaken the changed the rule before the next draft (only the top half of the 1st round can sign for 6 years).

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the Pats have not drafted a single Tom Condon player since Ben Watson. If that is the case, then there is a good chance that Watt may not be on their radar despite everything.

That could also be a coincidence. Couldn't it? After all, there were plenty of times when when people thought the Pats wouldn't draft a RB, OG, LB, etc. with a 1st round pick until it actually happened. I don't think their relationship with Condon is as bad as it was with the Postons after the Law/Milloy fiascos.

Figured I'd put this here since it doesn't deserve it's own thread.. Warren Sapp just said J.J Watt reminded him of Mike Mamula :eek:

For those of you who don't know who Mike Mamula is........

....Exactly.

Figured I'd put this here since it doesn't deserve it's own thread.. Warren Sapp just said J.J Watt reminded him of Mike Mamula :eek:

....Exactly.
And Russ Hochstein can't block. Sapp's brain isn't always engaged, and in this case it doesn't help that Sapp is a pudgy 3-tech and Watt is a rangy kid who can play all along the DL including 4-3 DE.

I know. I just can't believe that an organization that well run and such a freaking machine would be petty enough to pass on such a player because of choice of agent.

Is it really petty if the team feels that the AGENT has an agenda against the team? Which Condon clearly showed during the Watson negotiations.

....Exactly.

So, Mamula was maybe the first guy to train specifically for Combine drills and it showed up big time. Now everybody does it.

And Mamula was a solid player for four seasons whose career was cut short by knee injuries and who the Eagles way over-drafted as a pass-rushing DE. Is that what Sapp is predicting for Watt? That, based on his college production and Combine workouts, some 4-3 team is going to trade a 1st and two 2nds to get into the top ten and select him, expecting him to become the next perennial double-digit DE sackmeister?

Am I missing something?

He was doing the right thing for his client and would not give the Pats a 6th year. If I'm not mistaken the changed the rule before the next draft (only the top half of the 1st round can sign for 6 years).

You'd be wrong. They didn't change the rule until 2006 with the signing of the new CBA.

bucky said:
That could also be a coincidence. Couldn't it? After all, there were plenty of times when when people thought the Pats wouldn't draft a RB, OG, LB, etc. with a 1st round pick until it actually happened. I don't think their relationship with Condon is as bad as it was with the Postons after the Law/Milloy fiascos.

So, you think that it's just coincidence that the Pats seem to have avoided working with any Tom Condon clients (both in Free Agency and the Draft) since 2004 is just a coincidence??

As for the Postons, are they even still agents after the Lavar Arrington Fiasco with the Redskins?

So, Mamula was maybe the first guy to train specifically for Combine drills and it showed up big time. Now everybody does it.

And Mamula was a solid player for four seasons whose career was cut short by knee injuries and who the Eagles way over-drafted as a pass-rushing DE. Is that what Sapp is predicting for Watt? That, based on his college production and Combine workouts, some 4-3 team is going to trade a 1st and two 2nds to get into the top ten and select him, expecting him to become the next perennial double-digit DE sackmeister?

Am I missing something?
Nope. Realistically, you appear to have two more functional brain cells than Warren Sapp, if not his on field experience.

Nope. Realistically, you appear to have two more functional brain cells than Warren Sapp, if not his on field experience.

If I have two functional brain cells, that would be one more than I woke up with this morning. That must be some really fine coffee I'm drinking.

Watt has really impressed me in the drills I've seen. For such a big guy, he has impressive body control. And his weight is so natural to his frame, he looks lean at 290 lbs...while putting up 34 reps.

It's a little nerve-wracking watching the players who seem to be good fits for NE all raise their stock. The good news is there are an unusual number of defenders I'd spend #17 on. The bad news is that it's perfectly possible NONE of them will fall to #17.

Is it really petty if the team feels that the AGENT has an agenda against the team? Which Condon clearly showed during the Watson negotiations.

Not wanting his client to get screwed is now having an agenda against a team? When did this become the new definition?

Not wanting his client to get screwed is now having an agenda against a team? When did this become the new definition?

Not wanting his client to get screwed??? *ROFLMAO* It's amazing how you spin things...

I guess every contract that players sign are bad deals unless they are ridiculously over-paid... At least, that seems to be the stance you take in all of these threads.

Not wanting his client to get screwed??? *ROFLMAO* It's amazing how you spin things...

I guess every contract that players sign are bad deals unless they are ridiculously over-paid... At least, that seems to be the stance you take in all of these threads.

What spin? It was about the extra year. Condon felt that a player having to sign that long a contract (6 years) was getting screwed.

FYI, such contract lengths are now impermissible save at the very top of the draft (where that "ridiculously over-paid" argument gets made by people such as yourself), so Condon was apparently not alone in his feelings on the matter.

Last edited:
Watt has really impressed me in the drills I've seen. For such a big guy, he has impressive body control. And his weight is so natural to his frame, he looks lean at 290 lbs...while putting up 34 reps.

It's a little nerve-wracking watching the players who seem to be good fits for NE all raise their stock. The good news is there are an unusual number of defenders I'd spend #17 on. The bad news is that it's perfectly possible NONE of them will fall to #17.

Just gotta hope that a bunch of owners, GMs and HCs remember to take their stupid pills on the morning of Day One.

Ralph Wilson: "Y'know, Chan and Buddy, I've changed my mind. This Cam Newton kid is really exciting. I think you should draft him instead of Watt."

Nix/Gailey: "Buhbuhbuh... last night we agreed...."

Wilson: "Ahem. I strongly suggest that you draft Newton, gentlemen."

Nix/Gailey: "Ummm, yeah, okay Mr. Wilson, sir. Whatever you say."

Change the names and repeat for picks #4-#16.

What spin? It was about the extra year. Condon felt that a player having to sign that long a contract (6 years) was getting screwed.

FYI, such contract lengths are now impermissible, so Condon was apparently not alone in his feelings on the matter.

It was an unusual situation, though, because the agent refused to do what the player wanted and made the player fire him instead -- thus triggering a waiting period and keeping the player out of camp even longer.

Most observers took that as a grandstanding ploy by Condon, playing to future clients and making a statement against the team, at the expense of the guy he was supposedly working for.

It was an unusual situation, though, because the agent refused to do what the player wanted and made the player fire him instead -- thus triggering a waiting period and keeping the player out of camp even longer.

Most observers took that as a grandstanding ploy by Condon, playing to future clients and making a statement against the team, at the expense of the guy he was supposedly working for.

In the end, Condon's point of view won out, and the rookie contract lengths were changed for players like Watson. I can see that as an "agenda" against the issue, but not against the team.

Watt ran a 6.88 3-cone. Nearly .3 seconds faster than Quinn. What a freakazoid.

"Tom and I just had some philosophical differences about the contract and just about where we wanted to go with this," Watson said when asked about his decision to sever ties with his agent. "The big deal with the contract was the length. The Patriots were trying to sign me you for the next six years, so that was the big issue with our contract negotiations so far".

Patriots Sign TE Ben Watson

As I noted, the issue was contract length, not money, and Condon's position won out in the end, as the maximum contract length for a player in Watson's position was cut from 6 years to 5. Feel free to take up the argument with Watson and Condon, though, if you wish to continue it.

Watt ran a 6.88 3-cone. Nearly .3 seconds faster than Quinn. What a freakazoid.

Wow! I didn't expect that at all! Watt's game is mostly power. Not speedrushing and not agility.I didn't expect him (and would still have supported him) if he didn't test well today.

OTOH, what a horrible couple days Robert Quinn is having. With all the time off Quinn had everyone was expecting him to light it up at the combine. He is costing himself wheelbarrows full of cash by the minute.

Last edited:
Wow! I didn't expect that at all! Watt's game is mostly power. Not speedrushing and not agility.I didn't expect him (and would still have supported him) if he didn't test well today.

OTOH, what a horrible couple days Robert Quinn is having. With all the time off Quinn had everyone was expecting him to light it up at the combine. He is costing himself wheelbarrows full of cash by the minute.

Watt's agility is what really stood out to me when I watched him play. I thought the way he drove laterally was linebacker-esque. Some really knowledgeable people disagreed with me and I had to re-think my stance a bit. Nice to see it validated by the numbers. He very well may go top-ten.

Ditto on Quinn. Looks out of shape and unfocused. That said, when you're barred from campus facilities and flat broke it can be hard getting into shape. Any idea who his agent is? You'd think a big name guy would have him in API.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back