PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo on EEI's Dale & Holley

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://audio.weei.com/m/19755297/04...ZSID_pods_pod5_8_6_0005&match=query,keyword=4

Sounds like a great kid, I'm really excited about everything I hear from him and have heard about him. Admittedly, he was low on my radar until the weeks just before the draft when folks like BOR starting hyping him and then Holley came out and said we'd draft him, so I feel like I'm playing catch up a little on him. He really sounds like a great, humble kid who has his priorities right and loves football.

Something I found interesting in this interview:

Unless I misheard the audio, Mayo mentions that he weighed 245 lbs prior to his junior season, and his size was one of the factors when Fulmer moved him inside. I had previously thought Mayo played in the 230s and bulked up to his combine weight of 242. Now it appears he is a natural 245 lbs, with growth potential, because he still appears a bit lanky in the lower body.

At 6'1 3/8'' and 245 lbs coming out of college, his size is excellent, and he could be playing at 250+ by 2009, after Wojcik gets a hold of him, with no real loss in athleticism.

I realize that Mayo and Willis are not comparable in their style of play, but as a point of comparison: Willis is a rocked up 240 lbs, and he does not (to my eyes) have the size potential to reach 250 and maintain his agility. Mayo has room on his frame to comfortably add bulk, and that size potential is important for ILBs in our 3-4 scheme.

Something I found interesting in this interview:

Unless I misheard the audio, Mayo mentions that he weighed 245 lbs prior to his junior season, and his size was one of the factors when Fulmer moved him inside. I had previously thought Mayo played in the 230s and bulked up to his combine weight of 242. Now it appears he is a natural 245 lbs, with growth potential, because he still appears a bit lanky in the lower body.

At 6'1 3/8'' and 245 lbs coming out of college, his size is excellent, and he could be playing at 250+ by 2009, after Wojcik gets a hold of him, with no real loss in athleticism.

I realize that Mayo and Willis are not comparable in their style of play, but as a point of comparison: Willis is a rocked up 240 lbs, and he does not (to my eyes) have the size potential to reach 250 and maintain his agility. Mayo has room on his frame to comfortably add bulk, and that size potential is important for ILBs in our 3-4 scheme.

I didn't work at a carnival, but at 6'1" he looked more like the 230 I've seen than 245. Just my observation, but where's the weight? Torso, legs?

If it's true, he definitely can bulk up. He looks skinny.

I didn't work at a carnival, but at 6'1" he looked more like the 230 I've seen than 245. Just my observation, but where's the weight? Torso, legs?

Yup, I just relistened to it. He says he was 245 lbs before this season, the biggest LB on the roster at Tennessee. He must have a very big frame, because he looks like he has plenty of room to grow.

It must be his number (7) that makes him look smaller/slim. If he had number in the 50's it would make him look much bigger. ;)

This guy just sounds like a consummate pro - I also love how he's already got the media on his heels with this "come up with a creative headline" thing - it seems like he knows how to deal with the media, and that is especially important in Boston - it also doesn't hurt that with his physical and mental package, it doesn't look like he'll be giving them much to complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft