PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colvin: "It's going to be difficult to leave New England"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone caught this. It was on Patriots.com's Patriot Now program from Friday:

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=videonewsdetail&pid=31092&pcid=153&rss=1

Colvin was in Boston on Thursday night, after being cut, with Adalius Thomas, Dan Koppen, and others for an Easter Seals charity basketball game.

Here's what he said to Brian Lowe, who described the event as "Colvin's swan song on the Boston sports scene" and said that Colvin said "he's not in the Patriots' plans for next season":

"It wasn't a surprise. It was a situation where my wife and I had discussed and understood it was a possibility before the season started. So, to have the opportunity to go out and play this past season, unfortunately ending on injured reserve, it was difficult to deal with. The difficult thing is not the football, but the friends. The friendships that I've developed. And just like it was a situation where it was hard to leave Chicago, it's going to be difficult to leave New England."

Here's what Adalius Thomas said of Colvin's departure:

"You know, in this business, you're never surprised by too much, but it just goes to should you have to appreciate every moment. You never know when it's your last time playing with someone. Great guy, great guy we're going to miss on and off the field. I think Boston as a whole will miss him in the community. We'll miss him as a player and as a person."

Here's Colvin's interview with WEEI hours before he was released. Keep in mind WEEI's voice recognition/transcription system sucks, so the transcript there is way off:

http://audio.weei.com/m/19094471/ro...m?col=en-all-pod_weei-ep&q=colvin&match=QUERY

I'm going to miss him, I wish something could have been worked out.

well, if the pats didnt want him....then they didnt even try to bring him back....why???

i believe with 3 or 4 mil a year it could hvae been done....

I'm going to miss him, I wish something could have been worked out.

Me too. Damn shame, as he seemed to be having his best season as a pat.
Seemed to me anyway.

im gonna miss him. one of my favorite players. I personally hope he tears it up somewhere else. thanks Rosie.

I really enjoyed the Colvin era. Seems like a great human being. I wish him the best.

Sad stuff reading that. He and McGinest were our best pass rushers in the dynasty years. It will be very tough to replace him

well, if the pats didnt want him....then they didnt even try to bring him back....why???

i believe with 3 or 4 mil a year it could hvae been done....

It may have been injury related, Also, Thomas had a good Superbowl.

Not sure if anyone caught this. It was on Patriots.com's Patriot Now program from Friday:

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=videonewsdetail&pid=31092&pcid=153&rss=1

Colvin was in Boston on Thursday night, after being cut, with Adalius Thomas, Dan Koppen, and others for an Easter Seals charity basketball game.

Here's what he said to Brian Lowe, who described the event as "Colvin's swan song on the Boston sports scene" and said that Colvin said "he's not in the Patriots' plans for next season":

"It wasn't a surprise. It was a situation where my wife and I had discussed and understood it was a possibility before the season started. So, to have the opportunity to go out and play this past season, unfortunately ending on injured reserve, it was difficult to deal with. The difficult thing is not the football, but the friends. The friendships that I've developed. And just like it was a situation where it was hard to leave Chicago, it's going to be difficult to leave New England."

Here's what Adalius Thomas said of Colvin's departure:

"You know, in this business, you're never surprised by too much, but it just goes to should you have to appreciate every moment. You never know when it's your last time playing with someone. Great guy, great guy we're going to miss on and off the field. I think Boston as a whole will miss him in the community. We'll miss him as a player and as a person."

Here's Colvin's interview with WEEI hours before he was released. Keep in mind WEEI's voice recognition/transcription system sucks, so the transcript there is way off:

http://audio.weei.com/m/19094471/ro...m?col=en-all-pod_weei-ep&q=colvin&match=QUERY

This really hurts me to hear this......this guy has been such a competitor here....having come back from career ending surgery to play pretty damned well for us.....and then unfortuneatly being stricken with another relatively serious injury this year..... I was hoping he had enough gas in the tank to come back again next year....but obviously from the lack of teams rushing to try to sign him....things are more serious than I thought.....

This guy has been a class act on and off the field and I can only wish him the uptmost BEST in whatever he does.....I hope they can sign him to some kind of coaching position (which he would be GREAT at) If in fact he can not play any longer.......Really hurts me once again to hear him say these things and....I for one....appreciate all he has done here....and his loyalty to this team and us.......GOOD LUCK ROSEY and THANK YOU!!!

It may have been injury related, Also, Thomas had a good Superbowl.

well then thats ONE good game out of thomas....

i believe AD on the outside next year will be a force though, and so will vrabel (for the whole time, not just first 10 games)

but we have to get someone at ILB....seriously

This really hurts me to hear this......this guy has been such a competitor here....having come back from career ending surgery to play pretty damned well for us.....and then unfortuneatly being stricken with another relatively serious injury this year..... I was hoping he had enough gas in the tank to come back again next year....but obviously from the lack of teams rushing to try to sign him....things are more serious than I thought.....

This guy has been a class act on and off the field and I can only wish him the uptmost BEST in whatever he does.....I hope they can sign him to some kind of coaching position (which he would be GREAT at) If in fact he can not play any longer.......Really hurts me once again to hear him say these things and....I for one....appreciate all he has done here....and his loyalty to this team and us.......GOOD LUCK ROSEY and THANK YOU!!!

We're 3 days into FA - even Moss isn't signed yet...

For the umpteenth time, these guys have made millions and don't need a coaching assistants job to feed their families. Rosie owns a couple of UPS stores in Indy that his folks manage for him. He'll be back playing - he didn't have surgery on the foot and he said be believed he'd be ready for camp. Some of you are so melodramatic. I think his being cut had more to do with AD - either because they planned to start him outside this year or because he wasn't adapting inside - whose contract averages $7.5M. Like Bill always says, we can sign anyone, just can't keep everyone as a result. He's a character with a lot of personality, comedic timing and delivery - when he hangs 'em up he will probably do some media.

im gonna miss him. one of my favorite players. I personally hope he tears it up somewhere else. thanks Rosie.

He was a very smart and articulate football player. I believe

he had a degree in Engineering from Purdue.

Yeah. I always enjoyed Rosie.

As a result of injury, he ended up being a horrible free agent value (cap cost versus production). It could have been worse, though. For a while, it looked like he would never play again after his second game as a Patriot. Talk about salary cap hell.

I suspect the writing was on the wall for Rosie the day Adalius Thomas was signed. That was pretty much the sign that the Pats had decided to move on.

I suspect the writing was on the wall for Rosie the day Adalius Thomas was signed. That was pretty much the sign that the Pats had decided to move on.
More likely Colvin's injury is worse than the New England Patriots organization expected.

Sad stuff reading that. He and McGinest were our best pass rushers in the dynasty years. It will be very tough to replace him
McGinest yes, but both Vrabel and J Green are better pass rushers than Rosy was in his years here.

Yeah. I always enjoyed Rosie.

As a result of injury, he ended up being a horrible free agent value (cap cost versus production). It could have been worse, though. For a while, it looked like he would never play again after his second game as a Patriot. Talk about salary cap hell.

Then why spend the better part of a season playing AD inside... I really think that contrary to popular opinion Bill wanted AD inside as the brains of his defense. And an athletic upgrade in coverage. I just think he never got comfortable. So the cap and contract status dictated of two players indicated when AD moved outside Rosie had to go because he's better than a backup and too expensive.

He was one of my favorite players, tough to see him go, and especially not even playing a full final season

I thought Colvin would be cut and re-signed. The way this is happening is a surprise to me.

Off the top of my head, and I'm sure more will come once I hit the post icon, my favorite Colvin moment:

Rosey giving Rivers an extended tongue lashing after a hit in Week 2 while both were on the ground. Actually, he was great in that entire series - a series in which he and D drove the SD offense backwards and out of FG range after the Bolts had gotten the ball on a turnover.

Then why spend the better part of a season playing AD inside... I really think that contrary to popular opinion Bill wanted AD inside as the brains of his defense. And an athletic upgrade in coverage. I just think he never got comfortable. So the cap and contract status dictated of two players indicated when AD moved outside Rosie had to go because he's better than a backup and too expensive.

Maybe. Or maybe Belichick had already decided that 2007 would be Rosie's last hurrah before his cap number pushed him out the door.

With A. Thomas pencilled in as the new leader of the defense, what better way to teach him the ropes than spending a year inside? All things being equal, Belichick would like Thomas to be able to play all of the LB positions.

BTW, I like Rosey Colvin. He could have been a great free agent acquisition if the Pats hadn't lost the first two years worth of his bonus. I do think Belichick might have liked an outside LB who sealed the corner on running plays with a little more consistency. But, everybody has plays they'd like to do over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back