PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo leads NFL in tackles - BY 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
A compelling argument to me means you can't refute what the other person has said. Given your argument is based on contextual application that makes it opinion based without solid factual basis to support it. At absolutely no point has there been a fact presented to say the tackle statistic needs to be taken in context much like Brady's hail mary end of the 2nd quarter interception needs contextual application.

I don't disagree with you that the application of down, distance, position of a tackle made = a good performance because it doesn't much the same way a junk time TD doesn't make a good performance. What I am arguing is I've watched Jerod Mayo make play after play after play for this team. No contextual application is needed. He's making plays and that's all we can ask.

The next step in Mayo's evolution will be to create more turnovers and possibly add the sacking and interception strings to his bow. He'll be a complete MLB when he does but for now we can't ask for much more from him.

You don't want to count the steelers yards against us in junk time, then i don't want to count all the tackles made by the defense in junk time. That surely must take quite a few away from our playmakers, now because they don't have as many tackles they aren't that good anymore.

That was fun.

A compelling argument to me means you can't refute what the other person has said. Given your argument is based on contextual application that makes it opinion based without solid factual basis to support it. At absolutely no point has there been a fact presented to say the tackle statistic needs to be taken in context much like Brady's hail mary end of the 2nd quarter interception needs contextual application.

I don't disagree with you that the application of down, distance, position of a tackle made = a good performance because it doesn't much the same way a junk time TD doesn't make a good performance. What I am arguing is I've watched Jerod Mayo make play after play after play for this team. No contextual application is needed. He's making plays and that's all we can ask.

The next step in Mayo's evolution will be to create more turnovers and possibly add the sacking and interception strings to his bow. He'll be a complete MLB when he does but for now we can't ask for much more from him.
You are either just arguing to argue or are not reading.
I agree with your assessment of Mayo.
Everything you are saying adds up to you agreeing that you cant use number of tackles to judge how good a player is, which agrees with my compelling argument that you are agreeing with while calling it not compelling.

Everything you are saying adds up to you agreeing that you cant use number of tackles to judge how good a player is, which agrees with my compelling argument that you are agreeing with while calling it not compelling.

Compelling.

Pro-Bowl and some, dude is a beast! Glad he's a NEP.

i just hope you guys are going on and voting for him, dont assume hes going to hawaii just yet, you know how people hate the pats and wouldnt vote for him no matter what

Christ some of you are simple. I am saying the amount of tackles he is making is a large if not determining reason that he is performing to the level that he is. I am also arguing with the R-Burger comment that all statistics are prone to contextual application using your theory.

**** me seriously. It must be the American schooling system.

Last edited:
Christ compels someone to end this thread...

...I nominate Pat Jew...

...compelling irony....

Last edited:
Christ some of you are simple. I am saying the amount of tackles he is making is a large if not determining reason that he is performing to the level that he is. I am also arguing with the R-Burger comment that all statistics are prone to contextual application using your theory.

I see you're getting grouchy because you're looking so bad here. It's compelling in a way.

So you are telling me that he has alot of tackles because he is making alot of tackles. I'm compelled.

So you are telling me that he has alot of tackles because he is making alot of tackles. I'm compelled.
itstimetostoppostingCat.jpg

Last edited:
A compelling argument to me means you can't refute what the other person has said. Given your argument is based on contextual application that makes it opinion based without solid factual basis to support it.

Ok, so you crow that a compelling argument cannot be opinion-based yet a few posts above you assert that your entire Mayo thesis is:

I'm rating Mayo on the eye test not any of your contextual bull. I'm rating him on what I've observed during the game. That is it.

So in other words: You are rating him based on your subjective opinion.

Ok, so you crow that a compelling argument cannot be opinion-based yet a few posts above you assert that your entire Mayo thesis is:

So in other words: You are rating him based on your subjective opinion.
My "subjective" opinion has the observation plus the statistic of tackles behind it to support the fact that he is making plays. The other side of the ledger suggest tackles is not a suitable statistic because it needs contextual analysis per play to be provided. It's exactly the same as a 1 yard sack or a 10 yard sack. All statistics can be made to represent what you want or in this case what people don't want.

It can't be argued against and I know I'm right in this instance. Mayo doesn't make the play = he gets no tackle = there's no thread. It's really that simple.

Last edited:
My "subjective" opinion has the observation plus the statistic of tackles behind it to support the fact that he is making plays. The other side of the ledger suggest tackles is not a suitable statistic because it needs contextual analysis per play to be provided. It's exactly the same as a 1 yard sack or a 10 yard sack. All statistics can be made to represent what you want or in this case what people don't want.

It can't be argued against and I know I'm right in this instance. Mayo doesn't make the play = he gets no tackle = there's no thread. It's really that simple.

I guess I'm just unclear what you are trying to argue (and I would appear to not be alone). Everyone here will happily admit Mayo is a very good ILB. I think the push back is that people feel you are interpreting a large amount of tackles to paint Mayo as some kind of transcendent player, which he is not (yet).

Look at the top 10 in number of tackles any year and you will find half of them to be yeoman LBs. Good but not great players. I hope Mayo becomes more than one of those tackling machines. He's consistent and dependable, but let's face it, his highlight of the year was a play in which ADP scored.

I guess I'm just unclear what you are trying to argue (and I would appear to not be alone). Everyone here will happily admit Mayo is a very good ILB. I think the push back is that people feel you are interpreting a large amount of tackles to paint Mayo as some kind of transcendent player, which he is not (yet).

Look at the top 10 in number of tackles any year and you will find half of them to be yeoman LBs. Good but not great players. I hope Mayo becomes more than one of those tackling machines. He's consistent and dependable, but let's face it, his highlight of the year was a play in which ADP scored.
I argued from the outset that Mayo is making a play by making the tackle regardless of down, field position or outcome. That is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News