PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo leads NFL in tackles - BY 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll both agree that our players are overrated and it's just the system that puts them in positions to identify a play then execute it.

I see how this works now. :p

Thanks for the concise breakdown of this thread. I feel so much smarterer than I was when I woke up this morning ;)

I'd like to see him make a few more big plays. Patrick Willis is widely considered the best ILB in the game today because he makes a ton of tackles, but also forces fumbles, picks off passes and sacks quarterbacks. Mayo is a very good player, but he has to make more impact plays before we can start talking about him as one of the best linebackers in the game.

Patrick Willis: Tackles - 91, Sacks - 4.0, INT's - 0

Jerod Mayo: Tackles - 132, Sacks - 1.0, INT's - 0

In comparison, Mayo has 41 more tackles, 3 less sacks, and is on par with Willis as far as interceptions go. Now, take into account that Willis plays in a much more aggressive defense than Mayo does.

Patrick Willis: Tackles - 91, Sacks - 4.0, INT's - 0

Jerod Mayo: Tackles - 132, Sacks - 1.0, INT's - 0

In comparison, Mayo has 41 more tackles, 3 less sacks, and is on par with Willis as far as interceptions go. Now, take into account that Willis plays in a much more aggressive defense than Mayo does.

Care to post their 2008 and 2009 stats? I was comparing their careers so far, I didn't refer to this year specifically. Patrick Willis makes a lot more plays than Jerod Mayo does. That's a fact. Unless Mayo becomes more of a playmaker we just cannot put him at that level.

If your comparing him to Willis he's doing something right

Mayo is good but MLB is right now like TE, it's stacked with talent across the league. Urlacher is having a great year with the Bears. Willis is always good. It wasn't a long time ago that the Seahawks were thought to have the best bench of 4-3 lbs in the league.

Timmons has been all over the field for the Steelers. Then you have the reputation guy in Lewis. The Jets have 2 good ones. You could go on and on...

I'm going to say he makes the Pro Bowl, but not the All Pro.

Care to post their 2008 and 2009 stats? I was comparing their careers so far, I didn't refer to this year specifically. Patrick Willis makes a lot more plays than Jerod Mayo does. That's a fact. Unless Mayo becomes more of a playmaker we just cannot put him at that level.

I believe that Kontra was offering evidence to dispute that claim of "fact". Willis has 7 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, and 4 interceptions for his four year career. Mayo has 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, and 0 interceptions for his three year career. Mayo also played most of last year with a knee problem that certainly seemed to hinder his play.

Also, just by way of a comparison, Ray Lewis had 7 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery during his first four seasons.

Mayo is a lifesaver. I'll repeat what another poster posted:

You want your ILB leading the team in tackles, not your safeties.

Why would it be fair to compare their 2009 seasons when Mayo was, quite obviously, injured the entire year? In 2008, Mayo played well enough to be the DROY. As for what you were comparing in your OP, if you were referencing their careers so far, you might want to make note of it next time. It looked a lot like you were talking about both players as of today and what Mayo needs to do to catch up to Willis.

No question here that Mayo is at least a Pro Bowl caliber player. You could debate All-Pro, but the guy's all over the field on every play. He's pretty amazing if you ask me. If he just had some more forced turnovers, there'd be no argument about whether he's All-Pro.

Tackles don't necessarily mean anything, but when you're consistently racking up 10-15 every week in a 3-4 defense, you're definitely doing something right.

Mayo is the best middle linebacker in the NFL right now. No argument can be made against that.

Mayo is the best middle linebacker in the NFL right now. No argument can be made against that.

I don't know. I think Ray Lewis is a lot better. :bricks::ugh:

I don't know. I think Ray Lewis is a lot better. :bricks::ugh:
Where's our friend with that suggestion run off to Kontra? I haven't noticed him pumping that opinion for a while ;).

Last edited:
It's the Patsfans Rain On The Parade Party!

what?...Mayo leads the league in tackles so far??..huh?...Patriots 9-2????...this CANNOT be!!!!!....must rip and tear into ANYTHING THAT EVEN SEEMS A BIT POSITIVE ABOUT THE PATS!!!!

Last edited:
Misleading? It is what it is, he leads the NFL in tackles.

Patrick Willis was the leading tackler twice in the last 3 years and he was being touted as the best ILB in the game. What Mayo is doing this year is phenomenal.

How does "it is what it is" illuminate anything? What Mayo is doing this year is NOT "phenomenal."

Geez. Give the guy his due. The Patriots have some serious 3rd down issues, but I don't think Mayo's pass defense is to blame. You may be right that he has more opportunities as a result of poor 3rd down defense, but tackles are tackles.

When a defense is working as it should the ILB is supposed to lead the team in tackles. Its indicative of a decent run defense IMO. If a safety leads the team in tackles that usually means running backs are making it to the 2nd level of the defense.

You're right, ILBs do tend the lead their teams in tackles, which is another reason not to go crazy about Mayo having a lot of tackles. Again, I like Mayo, but tackles is not such a great stat.

You're right, ILBs do tend the lead their teams in tackles, which is another reason not to go crazy about Mayo having a lot of tackles. Again, I like Mayo, but tackles is not such a great stat.
Please provide a compelling argument as to why a tackle is not a great statistic? I look forward to reading your summation with some interest.

Please provide a compelling argument as to why a tackle is not a great statistic? I look forward to reading your summation with some interest.

I don't want to jump in on whether or not Mayo is great or not, but the reason a "tackle" is a bad stat is because there is no context.

No data on WHERE the tackle happened, such as 30 yards down field because he was dragged that far, or in the backfield because he had awesome penetration. Or if he has the tackle because everyone else screwed up.

He may have been lucky. He might have a half tackle.

Again, I'm not saying anything either way on Mayo, I'm only responding to why a tackle isn't a stat to get up in arms about. It's far too general, there is no other information except that he was the last man to touch the ball carrier.

I think all individual stats are garbage though, it's a team sport not a popularity contest. I don't agree that QB's should get all the credit for yards after the catch, and I also don't think QBs should get the interception stat against them when a WR runs the wrong route on a timing pass or deflects the ball into the defenders hands. Point is, stats are skewed in many ways, and don't actually mean anything unless you put them side-by-side with the game film and break it down into far more detail.

I don't want to jump in on whether or not Mayo is great or not, but the reason a "tackle" is a bad stat is because there is no context.

No data on WHERE the tackle happened, such as 30 yards down field because he was dragged that far, or in the backfield because he had awesome penetration. Or if he has the tackle because everyone else screwed up.

He may have been lucky. He might have a half tackle.

Again, I'm not saying anything either way on Mayo, I'm only responding to why a tackle isn't a stat to get up in arms about. It's far too general, there is no other information except that he was the last man to touch the ball carrier.

I think all individual stats are garbage though, it's a team sport not a popularity contest. I don't agree that QB's should get all the credit for yards after the catch, and I also don't think QBs should get the interception stat against them when a WR runs the wrong route on a timing pass or deflects the ball into the defenders hands. Point is, stats are skewed in many ways, and don't actually mean anything unless you put them side-by-side with the game film and break it down into far more detail.
If you run with this theory all statistics are meaningless then. The guy is making plays. That's all that matters to me.

If you run with this theory all statistics are meaningless then. The guy is making plays. That's all that matters to me.

No, it doesn't make all meaningless. But the only important statistic really is win-loss.

Like I said, my post had absolutely NOTHING to do with Mayo's play, I think he's great. But just because he has alot of tackles doesn't make him the greatest. It doesn't work that way. Tom Brady isn't the greatest QB because of 2007, he's great because he's clutch and wins game. Alot of games, especially important ones.

No, it doesn't make all meaningless. But the only important statistic really is win-loss.

Like I said, my post had absolutely NOTHING to do with Mayo's play, I think he's great. But just because he has alot of tackles doesn't make him the greatest. It doesn't work that way. Tom Brady isn't the greatest QB because of 2007, he's great because he's clutch and wins game. Alot of games, especially important ones.
This doesn't mate sense. If you put yourself in a position to make a play regardless of down, distance, position, outcome and you execute that play given there's 10 other guys on the field with you who can make that same play what's problematic about that?

Right now Jerod Mayo is the best performing MLB in the NFL for mine. The production says so. His career still calls for a lot of accomplishment to reach Lewisonian status but his 2010 craps on Lewis' and any other middle or inside linebacker in 2010.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing