PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo; Defensive ROY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know the draft is still going on and he hasn't played a down of NFL football but here is the opinion of one of the writer at Pro Football Weekly:

Who will win the 2008 Rookie of the Year award?
By PFW staff
April 26, 2008
Managing editor Mike Holbrook's pick: Patriots LB Jerod Mayo

It was a mild surprise that the Patriots drafted a linebacker in the first round, something they hadn’t done during Bill Belichick’s time running the team. However, everyone knew how desperately the Pats needed to bolster their aging LB corps and, for once, the Patriots made the expected move. Belichick has traditionally preferred savvy veterans to carry out the myriad duties required of ’backers in his complex defense. But Mayo has the size (6-1¼, 242), versatility, instincts, intelligence and desire that the Patriots couldn’t pass up. Plus, he has excellent speed (4.59), something New England’s LB corps had been sorely lacking. Mayo, who played both inside and outside at Tennessee, was a tackle machine in college, tallying a team-best 140 in 2007 on his way to being honored as a first-team All-SEC pick. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had the kind of impact that the 49ers’ Patrick Willis, the Panthers’ Jon Beason and the Jets’ David Harris had last year. Unlike those players, Mayo will be playing on a prime Super Bowl contender, creating a perfect recipe for Rookie of the Year.

Last edited by a moderator:
No really, they did write that!

I guess that means that they like the Mayo pick.

kraft-mayo.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes