PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo + Crable > Vernon Gholston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On average, it takes 3 yrs to assess a player's worth on a team so we may be a bit early in judging any of this year's draft class.

Does that mean we can officially call Chad Jackson a bust?

Not saying Gholston can carry these guys' jocks, but that theory would eliminate many of the greatest players in history from your draft baord. It would be like saying, Beware Randy Moss. Beware Mario Williams. Beware Antonio Cromartie. Beware John Elway. Beware Eric ****erson. Beware Jon Ogden. Beware Julius Peppers. Beware Andre Johnson. Beware Orlando Pace. Beware Bo Jackson.

Beware Monty Beisal

While I did say that Crable and Mayo have to show something in the real season to show they are better than Gholston you failed or ignored the part where I said Vernon has something to show as well - Lets be fair when assessing others posts and don't leave out pertinent info of the content within to make me look a as if I said something different - O.K.?

It was fair. Adding 'he has to show something too', doesnt reverse the comment that you feel the starting point is Gholston is better, while saying its ridiculous to say anyone is better than anyone before they play.
It is just an inconsistency within your own argument.

One of things I love is the Pat's Cap Management. In that regard, I agree with the premise of this thread. We don't have much to go on, but pretty much every football geek I know (myself included) makes predictions, judgments and vehement arguments based on obscure and minimal facts all year long.

I mean, based on stats, The Pat's are going to have a Superbowl curse. Well, if you only make your stats from certain years whilst not blinking. :D

Gut feeling: Keep Gholston away from TB, thank you very much. However, can't wait to see Brett Favre covered in Mayo, maybe with a side of Crable.

One of things I love is the Pat's Cap Management. In that regard, I agree with the premise of this thread. We don't have much to go on, but pretty much every football geek I know (myself included) makes predictions, judgments and vehement arguments based on obscure and minimal facts all year long.

I mean, based on stats, The Pat's are going to have a Superbowl curse. Well, if you only make your stats from certain years whilst not blinking. :D

Gut feeling: Keep Gholston away from TB, thank you very much. However, can't wait to see Brett Favre covered in Mayo, maybe with a side of Crable.

I nominate a new hybrid-linebacker:

VRABLE/CRABLE

Big Homers in here...Asante stay...I wish he is a bust in Philly
Sign Gholston....Crable and Mayo are greater..
Of course they are greater but they are two player...they don't count as one and are gonna take two positions but as of right now, Gholston is better than either of them.

Welcome to the board. Your post stinks.

I am a huge Crable fan but like I have said over and over again, he will get killed in the run game like he did at Michigan if he does not improve his lower body strength. I think he immediately will help the rush but his true upside is dependent on him bulking up.

For Gholston, my expectations are 6-8 sacks rookie year as a situational rusher until he learns the position completely. In the Browns first preseason game he drew two holding calls and generated good pressure. He just is having issues with dropping into coverage but this was expected. He was a raw great upside talent, everyone knows he wont be Merriman week one in his rookie year. Even his sack number may not come immediately. A comparable guy like Mario Williams did dip his rookie year.

Maybe its just me but I dont understand the Mayo + Crable> Gholston argument. For one you traded down b/c he was never going to be at 7, and it would never have cost you a 3rd to jump ahead to get him. It would be like me saying Revis + Harris your entire draft two years ago.

It would be like me saying Revis + Harris your entire draft two years ago.

It would indeed...and that would be 100% accurate if you chose not to include Welker, Moss and Mayo as products of that draft. So what's wrong with saying it? :confused:

I am a huge Crable fan but like I have said over and over again, he will get killed in the run game like he did at Michigan if he does not improve his lower body strength. I think he immediately will help the rush but his true upside is dependent on him bulking up.

For Gholston, my expectations are 6-8 sacks rookie year as a situational rusher until he learns the position completely. In the Browns first preseason game he drew two holding calls and generated good pressure. He just is having issues with dropping into coverage but this was expected. He was a raw great upside talent, everyone knows he wont be Merriman week one in his rookie year. Even his sack number may not come immediately. A comparable guy like Mario Williams did dip his rookie year.

Maybe its just me but I dont understand the Mayo + Crable> Gholston argument. For one you traded down b/c he was never going to be at 7, and it would never have cost you a 3rd to jump ahead to get him. It would be like me saying Revis + Harris your entire draft two years ago.

I agree that this 2>1 thread is inane,but there's some tongue-in cheek involved.

You,on the other hand,leap to the comparison of Revis + Harris.Didn't these two picks cost NJ FOUR draft choices and a boatload of money?

I'll extrapolate,further,by saying the Patriots draft consisted of a #4 for Randy Moss and a 2 + 7 For Wes Welker.......How'd that work for ya?

The ratpack on Jet Insiders still contend that we overpaid for Welker and that their 4-12
team is made up of all "Pro-Bowl Caliber players".(as opposed to.....ya know,ACTUAL
Pro-Bowl players).

.......pathetic

It wasn't one of Bills' best, but Brandon Meriweather could still surpass both Harris and Revis and the jury is still out on on Mike Richardson. Don't forget to factor in the 1st round pick we got from SF which netted us Mayo and the 4th rounder we gave up for Randy Moss.........:confused: Geez, on second thought I'd say our 2007 draft was still better than the Jets.:cool:

I agree.
There's definately more VALUE in having Crable and Mayo.
Good vibes.

Not to pile on Gholston, but this is from Mike Lombardi's blog. Early returns not promising on Vagh...

FROM THE NEWARK STAR LEDGER… Gholston, 6-3, 264 pounds, will get another opportunity to show what he can do tomorrow night against the Redskins at Giants Stadium. “He’s converting from basically being a down (defensive end) to a stand-up outside linebacker,” said Jets defensive coordinator Bub Sutton, who was allowed to speak with the media for the first time in training camp. “There’s a transition there. You’re a little out of your comfort zone. I think the longer he goes here and the more comfortable he gets with the system, he’s going to be fine. We need to just keep speeding up the indoctrination. He’s working hard at it. He’s spending a lot of time after practice both on the field and in the classroom to catch up.”

I don’t like the way Gholston looks and plays, but let me reiterate here what I mentioned previously on NFL Network. In the immortal words of Art Modell, the former owner of the Browns, “I am not second guessing, I am first guessing.” You have to know the scheme of the defense when you are evaluating tape. You also have to know the difference between when the coach put a guy in a position to make a play and when the player himself just made the play. If you don’t know this, you’re just a fan watching the game. Gholston had the athletic talent when he was on the move, stunting or stemming, to be very effective. Watching the film, though, I could see plenty of lapses when he had to read, react, and make a play. I went back to the pre-draft scouting notes I made on Gholston, “reminds me of Bryan Thomas of the Jets.” And the Jets picked him. Like I wrote yesterday, if you don’t learn from your mistakes as a scout, you will keep making them. It’s early yet, but I have seen this one before and it never turns around.

I agree whole heartedly. That is why I held my tongue in 2001 when other less responsible Patriot fans were either vehemently arguing for the return of our pro-bowl experienced QB while others vehemently argued that we should stick with the 2nd year QB that was winning games. Now after sufficient time and careful reflection I feel I can weigh in and stay that Brady will turn out to be a better QB then Bledsoe.

I commend your patient and thoughtful evaluation of Brady vs. Blesdoe. Those early speculative debates were infuriating!

I would like to add that I am now certain that Dave Stachelski was a bust who is now back to living in the safety of his mom's basement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes