PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo + Crable > Vernon Gholston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gholston is better than either of them.

Neither Crable or Mayo has taken even 1 play of in practice.
Gholston has already been reported taking plays off ... like he did in college. He does not have the instinct of pursuit ...
of course all great LB's have that instinct ... it's not something that you learn.

Last edited:
As far as performance goes,lets see what Crable and Mayo can do up against the likes of a top QB like Manning or a RB like Ladanian before we consider them better than Gholston and of course the same goes for Vernon to show something as well.

Stopping rookie Ray Rice in his tracks and knocking his helmet off was fun to watch but not exactly awe inspiring - Now Mayo doing that against McGahee or Tomlinson is a different story - We will see who got the better guy(s) soon enough

If your point is you cant say who is better because they havent done anything yet, then why is Gholston better by default until then? Because he was higher than Mayo on Eric Mangini's board? I would not be surprised for a second to think that Mayo was higher on BBs than Gholston.
I think its almost obvious that asking Gholston to play 34 2gap OLB is a mistake, and taking him with the 6th pick in the draft as a guy with football skills that your team doesn't have a position that relies most heavily on the skills he has, but exposes his weaknesses equally as much, is not sound drafting or team building to me. I would bet a ton of money that if the Pats had the #6 pick in the draft BB would not have even had Gholston on the radar.

And let's not forget that the question is actually Gholston vs. Mayo + Crable + $10M-$20M.

It looks even better in that light. :)

On average, it takes 3 yrs to assess a player's worth on a team so we may be a bit early in judging any of this year's draft class.

And let's not forget that the question is actually Gholston vs. Mayo + Crable + $10M-$20M.

Well, to be fair, it's not like the picks were traded for each other or anything like that. To be really accurate, it would be Gholston and Kris Jenkins versus Mayo, Crable and Matthew Slater.

Big Homers in here...Asante stay...I wish he is a bust in Philly
Sign Gholston....Crable and Mayo are greater..
Of course they are greater but they are two player...they don't count as one and are gonna take two positions but as of right now, Gholston is better than either of them.

Actually since Mayo has seemed to adapted to his position quicker to Gholston, right now Mayo is better than Gholston. Who knows if it will stay that way.

I was intially high on Gholston, but as the draft approached I cooled my interest because ignoring his stellar combine numbers and highlight reels I started to see some real flaws. I am not predicting a huge bust for him or him even being disapointing, but I don't think he is the slam dunk that a lot of Jets fans think.

From reports, Belichick said immediately after having an interview with Mayo that Mayo was the guy they were going to draft. That speaks volumes to me if true. Mayo's stock did rise predraft, but he wasn't a guy who most people believed would be a top 15 pick, but he was the guy that Belichick and Pioli wanted even over Gholston (no matter what the rumors were that the Pats were going to trade up to get him). That gives me a lot of hope that ultimately Mayo will be better than Gholston long term too.

There are no guarantees from this past draft from Jake Long all the way to Mr. Irrelevant. The second the draft is over, all the draft picks are on the same playing field. There ultimately will be a guy who didn't even get draft who will be one of the best first year players to come into the NFL this season and there will be at least one top 10 pick who does absolutely nothing his entire career. It happens almost every year.

If your point is you cant say who is better because they havent done anything yet, then why is Gholston better by default until then? Because he was higher than Mayo on Eric Mangini's board? I would not be surprised for a second to think that Mayo was higher on BBs than Gholston.
I think its almost obvious that asking Gholston to play 34 2gap OLB is a mistake, and taking him with the 6th pick in the draft as a guy with football skills that your team doesn't have a position that relies most heavily on the skills he has, but exposes his weaknesses equally as much, is not sound drafting or team building to me. I would bet a ton of money that if the Pats had the #6 pick in the draft BB would not have even had Gholston on the radar.

You are not understanding what I am saying,I am saying none of these guys has shown anything in a regular season game so talking about what they did and where they are drafted is meaningless because you simply have nothing to base it on - not one rookie in 2008 has yet to play a down so you are in reality shooting at blanks.

Maybe Gholston is slacking off so far but that does not mean he will be a bust or worse than either Mayo and Crable - Mayo and Crable had some decent play but I am not saying they are going to be great either - Maybe all 3 go to the pro bowl this year - maybe none of them go.

Sometimes the lack of patience in this forum drives me bonkers - So many of you can't wait for at least a few regular season games to show what these rookies really got from early play so you are already deciding which player is better than the other based on college ball and 1 preseason game and what he lacked in college? - Foolish if you ask me

Go by that logic and no 6th or 7th rounder would ever make it in this league - So many of these guys play at a better level in college,so many surprise and play pro ball better than they did before - Its a crapshoot every year until the season begins

Relax - September is just around the corner - Lets wait for which rookie is better than the other for at least the first several games IF they play that is ,O.K.?

Last edited:
Year one, I see Crable playing STs and being a game day inactive. I see Mayo starting at ILB. I see Gholston splitting time at OLB. Within that context, the equation works.

You are not understanding what I am saying,I am saying none of these guys has shown anything in a regular season game so talking about what they did and where they are drafted is meaningless because you simply have nothing to base it on - not one rookie in 2008 has yet to play a down so you are in reality shooting at blanks.

Maybe Gholston is slacking off so far but that does not mean he will be a bust or worse than either Mayo and Crable - Mayo and Crable had some decent play but I am not saying they are going to be great either - Maybe all 3 go to the pro bowl this year - maybe none of them go.

Sometimes the lack of patience in this forum drives me bonkers - So many of you can't wait for at least a few regular season games to show what these rookies really got from early play so you are already deciding which player is better than the other based on college ball and 1 preseason game and what he lacked in college? - Foolish if you ask me

Go by that logic and no 6th or 7th rounder would ever make it in this league - So many of these guys play at a better level in college,so many surprise and play pro ball better than they did before - Its a crapshoot every year until the season begins

Relax - September is just around the corner - Lets wait for which rookie is better than the other for at least the first several games IF they play that is ,O.K.?

But what you are saying is that no one is allowed to offer an opinion, or prediction until you have evidence to judge it on.
My opinion on Gholston is based upon seeing almost every play of his college career. I would be more apt to overrate him because I am a Buckeye fan, so it is not bias, and it isnt because he is a Jet, because I stated my opinion long before the draft.
There are 3 choices.
Talk about what already happened (boring)
Talk about what you think is going to happen (thought provoking and interesting)
Dont talk

Everyone doing #2 is very clear to the fact that the prediction would be much more reliable after a longer time period to gather evidence. But the discussion is today, so you either go with what has happened so far or stay silent.
My objection to your post was that you said since none of them have played a game Gholston is better. That conflicts with everything else you are saying.

But what you are saying is that no one is allowed to offer an opinion, or prediction until you have evidence to judge it on.
My opinion on Gholston is based upon seeing almost every play of his college career. I would be more apt to overrate him because I am a Buckeye fan, so it is not bias, and it isnt because he is a Jet, because I stated my opinion long before the draft.
There are 3 choices.
Talk about what already happened (boring)
Talk about what you think is going to happen (thought provoking and interesting)
Dont talk

Everyone doing #2 is very clear to the fact that the prediction would be much more reliable after a longer time period to gather evidence. But the discussion is today, so you either go with what has happened so far or stay silent.
My objection to your post was that you said since none of them have played a game Gholston is better. That conflicts with everything else you are saying.

While I did say that Crable and Mayo have to show something in the real season to show they are better than Gholston you failed or ignored the part where I said Vernon has something to show as well - Lets be fair when assessing others posts and don't leave out pertinent info of the content within to make me look a as if I said something different - O.K.?

Depends on what you are looking for.
Other than the true meaning of life, production on the field.

Initially I was a Keith Rivers fan. Sure glad now that the Bengals took him and not Mayo.

Plus Crable looks to be pretty good.

Pierre Woods looking better and Gary Guyton showing stuff.

Young LBs seem solid.

Am I in the middle of a dream?

Initially I was a Keith Rivers fan. Sure glad now that the Bengals took him and not Mayo.

Young LBs seem solid.

No I agree with you on all accounts. I love Guyton's game from GA Tech. Solid producer. Bruschi last yr (Probably, Maybe) That secondary except for Harrison and Lynch are still pretty young

My view of Gholston has always been, Beware the "physical freak." Beware Chad Jackson. Beware Ben Watson (who is at least OK, though). Beware Bethel Johnson.

My view of Gholston has always been, Beware the "physical freak." Beware Chad Jackson. Beware Ben Watson (who is at least OK, though). Beware Bethel Johnson.

Not saying Gholston can carry these guys' jocks, but that theory would eliminate many of the greatest players in history from your draft baord. It would be like saying, Beware Randy Moss. Beware Mario Williams. Beware Antonio Cromartie. Beware John Elway. Beware Eric ****erson. Beware Jon Ogden. Beware Julius Peppers. Beware Andre Johnson. Beware Orlando Pace. Beware Bo Jackson.

I don't think you even need Crable in that equation. FWIW, I think Gholston may well become a real force at OLB. But given the question marks around him, I would have been mighty queasy spending pick #6 and $32.5 million on him. Taking into account talent, risk, expense, opportunity costs, etc. I'll take Mayo for $18.9 instead.

Or to put it another way, New England's entire rookie class should cost less than Gholston over the next 4 years. Here's to trading down!

Last edited:

Young LBs seem solid.

I do agree that the Pats young LBs are giving a seriously positive impression. I do think that Gholston has the potential to do the same in the right environment (probably with a vet's boot up his butt occasionally). For obvious reasons, I hope the Jets don't provide that environment.

One game proves nothing, so we shouldn't dare make any predictions about how guys might pan out. We need to wait 5 years, THEN make the predictions of who will be better.

I agree whole heartedly. That is why I held my tongue in 2001 when other less responsible Patriot fans were either vehemently arguing for the return of our pro-bowl experienced QB while others vehemently argued that we should stick with the 2nd year QB that was winning games. Now after sufficient time and careful reflection I feel I can weigh in and stay that Brady will turn out to be a better QB then Bledsoe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back