PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo + Crable > Vernon Gholston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to pile on Gholston, but this is from Mike Lombardi's blog. Early returns not promising on Vagh...

He's playing the wrong position, that's the problem. He needs to be on a team like the Colts, opposite another big-time rusher like Freeney, playing DE, where he can just turn it loose upfield play after play.

Not sure why no one looked at that equation and noticed something was missing......Mayo + Crable + BELLICHECK> Gholston + Mangina!!
BB can beat you with his guys then flip em around and have at his with yours and win.......he puts players IN POSITION TO WIN more than anyone. He can coach LBs pretty good too. Dont sleep on Gholston, but it may take a year or 2 to get rid of Mangina and those bulging biceps......

Has he looked completely lost so far in his third year? Last I checked, yes.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. It doesn't change the fact that he hasn't had a full 3 years.

Where is Gholston? He hasnt done much yet.

Looks like a long term project

So is Crable, both need time to learn all three parts of a 3-4 OLB's job - run defense, pass rush, pass defense. As long as Gholston's head is right he'll be a good draft for the Jesters, at this point his mental make-up will be the key to his success.

Mayo himself will be better than Gholston.

DITTO.................it's not even close right now. Only thing Gholston has done was being the 12th man in the huddle against the Patriots. That's the only time I heard his number, LMAO!

For the #4 pick in the draft that's horrendous. That means by the time he learns to do anything his contract will be up and if he ends up being good they will put all the work in and lose him to FA.

At #4 overall they should make an immediate impact like say........Mayo.

For the #4 pick in the draft that's horrendous. That means by the time he learns to do anything his contract will be up and if he ends up being good they will put all the work in and lose him to FA.

I don't agree. They're drafting him at #4 to become the cornerstone of their D for many years, not to 'win now'. It's a massive step from college to the pro's as we all know. Some take time to grasp it, some get it straight away. Those that don't get it straight away aren't worse players though.

I don't agree. They're drafting him at #4 to become the cornerstone of their D for many years, not to 'win now'. It's a massive step from college to the pro's as we all know. Some take time to grasp it, some get it straight away. Those that don't get it straight away aren't worse players though.

Just an FYI.... Gholston was taken at #6

Just an FYI.... Gholston was taken at #6

Sorry, all I had in my head was Darren McFadden due to being involved in a fantasy football trade :rofl:

gholston, at least i think, was seen as a guy with ridiculous raw ability who teams thought would be able to be productive early in his career on raw talent, then later on be a dominating force. seems teams may have been off on the first part, but i am sure he will be a darn good player for the jets sometime in the near future.

as for mayo, he seems like hes a very good player already. maybe not as much upside as gholston, but probably more safer of a bet to be a great player.

as for crable, he seems like he is in need of much more development than both players based solely on the fact that he hasnt even been active. i like that he showed the ability to be around the ball at the times when he played in the preseason

Gholston would be a dominating DE in a 4-3. Jets probably thought he could play OLB and make up for lack of experience with physical ability on top of learning from a good mentor in Pace. Swing and miss there. If you're picking at #6 the guy needs to be starting right away. At this point he looks like a long term project.

If you're picking at #6 the guy needs to be starting right away.
Where was Seymour drafted? He didn't start until week 8 or 10, and he turned out okay.

I don't think anyone NEEDS to start first game, every game. Some players need time toadjust to the NFL, others don't.

Perhaps he'll be playing better for teh Pats-Jets rematch.

Where was Seymour drafted? He didn't start until week 8 or 10, and he turned out okay.

I don't think anyone NEEDS to start first game, every game. Some players need time toadjust to the NFL, others don't.

Perhaps he'll be playing better for teh Pats-Jets rematch.

I think Seymour was a #5.

After 2 games, the remarkable thing to me about Mayo, is that he has been on the field for every defensive snap. In BB's complex defense that is really trial by fire. And, from written reports, the kid wants more of it. "more games, more plays," I believe the quote was. Tied for 1st in solo tackles. Playing sideline to sideline.... Gholston who?

Matthew Slater will be in the league longer than God-Awfull-Ston

I wanted the Long that the Rams drafted or McFadden.

Assuming that the Jets had no equitable offers to trade down, there was no other choice to take besideds Ghoulston.

He was considered a top 10 guy and none of the other 4 remaining top 10 prospects fit our scheme as well, scheme, lol, Jets had no pass rush last year.

Give the Kid his 3 years then lets evaluate him.

Mayo looks awsome, he was an excellent pick, I like how the Pats were able to trade down, pick up draft picks, and still get there man Mayo.

"Assuming that the Jets had no equitable offers to trade down, there was no other choice to take besideds Ghoulston."

I don't believe this for one second. When you sign a Calvin Pace to be your "pass rushing OLB" for big time cake and you know you already have a guy in Thomas who is much more than adequate on the other side, you do everything in your power to trade down and add legitmate youthful quality depth to your roster if you see a Chris Long, Darren McFadden and Dorsey off the board, just like the Pats had done in addition to dealing for SD's 2nd round pick in 09. Instead Mangini panicked and worried himself sick that Gholston would be taken by BB, so he made the classic, let's take him to keep him from wearing blue and silver even though the more prudent thing would be to take a Brandon Albert, Leodis McKelvin or a Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (all via a tradedown) to pair up with Revis AND add additional late 2's or 3rd round picks in the process. Right now it's looking like a major, major blunder on Mangini's part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft