Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mayo + Crable > Vernon Gholston?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by VJCPatriot, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +52 / 1 / -4

I think so. The Pats traded down from #7 and picked up a 3rd rounder that would turn into Crable. In addition, because they selected Mayo at #10 they were able to sign him to a MUCH more affordable salary than Gholston. I think bang for the buckwise, the Pats got the best deal.

Mayo right now looks like an instant starter at ILB and Crable has impressed with his length and coverage ability. He'll certainly see rotation minutes as a rush OLB. Gholston is a physical freak sure, but he doesn't fill two needs at once. And his contract far outweighs both Mayo and Crable's combined. Opinions?
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -3

Mayo himself will be better than Gholston.
  3. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

100% Agreed. Word out of the Jets camp was that Gholston was struggling.

Did I miss something?
  4. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Obviously, we all saw that ONE preseason game.
  5. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Depends on what you are looking for. Gholston has a skill set that neither Mayo or Crable possess (and the reverse is true as well). Success is a byproduct of opportunity + fit + health.

I think that Mayo + Crable > Gholston for the Pats. I can't speak for the Jets...I tried but they won't let me.
  6. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +83 / 4 / -0

Just for the record, I - like many others on this board, and my opinion was largely informed by more informed posters on this board having said opinion - soured on Gholston long before the Jets drafted him and long before it became apparent that the Patriots couldn't get him.

Any word from Jets camp on how he's doing?
  7. LoganMankinsPancakeBlocks

LoganMankinsPancakeBlocks Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That's a great, sarcastic point.

One game proves nothing, so we shouldn't dare make any predictions about how guys might pan out. We need to wait 5 years, THEN make the predictions of who will be better. That would be so much ******* fun.
  8. Richter

Richter Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Assuming both Mayo and Crable pan out, Gholston would have to turn into the second coming of LT to outweigh their collective impact. Two good players are almost always worth more than one, even if that one is better individually than either member of the pair. It's why trading down works so well in the NFL if you scout talent well - you end up picking up more usable pieces and filling your roster better top to bottom.

If I had to guess, I'd say Mayo ends up having a bigger impact than Gholston. He seems like a great fit for the system, and doesn't have any of the motivational question marks Gholston has. That said, I'd be surprised if Gholston doesn't turn into a very good OLB, mostly as a pass rusher. His tools are so off the charts, that just turning him loose as an edge rusher will probably entail some serious production. The real challenge for him is becoming a complete player in all phases of the game, especially pass coverage.
  9. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I'll be ready to judge after a couple SB's.
  10. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -3

One news item I saw a week or so ago on a Jets forum was that he was struggling in camp.
  11. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

It's way too early to label Gholston a mistake.
  12. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +810 / 5 / -3

It is far too early to tell who will end up being better. As of right now, none of those players have done crap in the NFL yet.

Gholston is apparently struggling with the transistion from DE to OLB. Who knows if it is a temporary thing or a long term issue? Mayo may be acclimating quickly to the Patriots defense, but who knows how effective he will be when the real games start. Same with Crable.

At this point, I am very happy with the Pats' draft this year. But we are a long way from being able to properly evaluating either teams' draft. I say we give it at least a regular season game before we declare the winner of this past year's draft.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  13. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +810 / 5 / -3

Yeah, he is learning a new system and position. You could have labelled Meriweather a bust late into last season since he didn't do much of anything until very late in the season.
  14. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

From an Aug. 3 story in the NY Daily News:

From a July 30 NY Post story:

15. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

(Jerod Mayo - 10) > (Vernon Gholston * 10 *15 + 25)
  16. JFK

JFK Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Big Homers in here...Asante stay...I wish he is a bust in Philly
    Sign Gholston....Crable and Mayo are greater..
    Of course they are greater but they are two player...they don't count as one and are gonna take two positions but as of right now, Gholston is better than either of them.
  17. Richter

Richter Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Wait, based on what, his draft position? Unless you want to go by one preseason game, it's pretty hard to say anyone is better than anyone else from the 2008 draft class.
  18. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +552 / 20 / -14

Your logic is foolish. SOME people wanted Asante to stay (I was one of them) SOME people say he will be a bust (I am not) and hoping he is a bust has nothing to do with wanting him to stay or not.
    SOME people wanted to draft Gholston(I was not one of them) and SOME people think Mayo is better (I am one of those). I have said from february on, every single time pre-draft that I did not want Gholston drafted that I think Gholston is a terrible fit as a 34 2gap OLB. I think he may be OK as a 43 onegap DE.
    You cannot take the collective majority opinion of 100 people, and then say one persons opinion 4 months later is homerism because it is inconsistent with the consensus. I agree with the people saying Gholston will probably turn out to be a terrible pick for the Jets, but I said that the first time anyone mentioned the 2008 draft.
  19. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

As far as performance goes,lets see what Crable and Mayo can do up against the likes of a top QB like Manning or a RB like Ladanian before we consider them better than Gholston and of course the same goes for Vernon to show something as well.

Stopping rookie Ray Rice in his tracks and knocking his helmet off was fun to watch but not exactly awe inspiring - Now Mayo doing that against McGahee or Tomlinson is a different story - We will see who got the better guy(s) soon enough
  20. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +552 / 20 / -14

Frankly, its possible Crable could be better than Gholston all by himself. I think Gholston is horrible miscast as a 34 2gap OLB. I personally think that the expectations of him if he were drafted in the 3rd round would be reasonable in that system. If Crable turns out to be better suited as a 34 2gap OLB than at a different position (Im not convinced either way yet) it won't be real difficult for him to exceed Gholston in production and success.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.