PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Ryan now makes more than Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how good Kevin is. If BB has some injury issues or is in the bigging of his decline AND Kevin or another QB looks to be progressing to being great QB, look to have BB trade TB at the start of the 2010 season to Buffalo for their 1st and 2nd round picks for the next three years.

:rofl: BB would then certainly be in the bigging of his decline...probably due to brain injury.

Brady will be extended before the 2010 season, likely well before. It just won't be as easy to do if they don't get a new CBA done before then.

Chris Long is a football player first. His dad has enough money for them all to retire for the rest of their lives, so Chris really does not need money. He is a football player who wants to play, so he took a good deal and now he is set for life as well. I doubt you will see him breaking the bank, or trying to opt out of his contract at any point in his career. He come from a football family and has a great grasp on what he is doing. So i dont think he is really bothered that he could have made $20M more.

Oh pahleese... And he isn't signed yet. That was the other Long...

Matt Ryan = BUST.

I totally disagree with you ... Ryan had NO OFFENSIVE LINE this year at BC. I know Cherilus was a high draft pick, and if you want to put BUST next to anyone, I bet it will be Gosder Cherilus.

Unfortunately Ryan will be fed to the wolves and won't get enough time to learn, but in the end he will be a great NFL QB.

Now on the matter of money paid to unproven rookies, this is rediculous! This is one of the main points the Owners are making about the CBA. $72M with $34M guaranteed .... WOW!

That Brady has changed a lot of salary to SB after the fact is immaterial. In fact it may really bite us in the ass going forward because of the opt out. Bottom line is this kid got WAY MORE guaranteed money and total contract value in his rookie deal than Brady did in his 3rd incremental deal after already winning 3 Superbowls. $34M+ in guaranteed money. Brady earned closer to $36M in his first three years of this deal, but he was only "guaranteed" $26.5M via signing and option bonus.

Brady's ENTIRE current deal is worth $60M over 6 years. His 2002 4 year deal was worth $30M total and he received less than $20M of it prior to signing his current deal. So you're still talking 8 years $80M or $10M AAV any way you slice it.

Actually Brady's entire deal was worth more than $60 million over 6 years because there were NLTBE bonuses that he earned that weren't counted in the original announcement.

Also, as was pointed out to you by myself and another poster which you seemed to ignore, is the fact that the deals being announced today are NOT what the players will actually make. They are what the player would make IF the player hit every single bonus they have in the contract. And I used the Adrian Peterson deal as a perfect example. Peterson missed 8 million in incentives because he didn't rush for 2000 yards or 20 tds as a rookie. So, the 5 year/40.5 million contract became a 5 year/ 32 million contract.

I am fairly certain the same will be the case for Matt Ryan.

Depends on how good Kevin is. If BB has some injury issues or is in the bigging of his decline AND Kevin or another QB looks to be progressing to being great QB, look to have BB trade TB at the start of the 2010 season to Buffalo for their 1st and 2nd round picks for the next three years.

That will never happen. The only way Brady leaves New England is if there is a VERY public falling out between Brady and Kraft. And that's really the bottom line, Tommy and Bill can have a fist fight on the sidelines and Kraft ain't giving up on Tom or Bill for that matter - They would both have to deal with it.

Outside of that, expect Tommy to play in NE until he's done - And I've got a feeling he won't go all Farve on us - He said publically on WEEI last week that his family and Friends were the most important things to him now (of course he followed that up very quickly with ,..."and of course working on perfecting my job").

I think he's got 5 more years and he's out.

However, Montana is his idol and we all know what he did as the light started to fade - But I don't see it.

Of course he makes more money, he doesn't cheat...

Actually Brady's entire deal was worth more than $60 million over 6 years because there were NLTBE bonuses that he earned that weren't counted in the original announcement.

Also, as was pointed out to you by myself and another poster which you seemed to ignore, is the fact that the deals being announced today are NOT what the players will actually make. They are what the player would make IF the player hit every single bonus they have in the contract. And I used the Adrian Peterson deal as a perfect example. Peterson missed 8 million in incentives because he didn't rush for 2000 yards or 20 tds as a rookie. So, the 5 year/40.5 million contract became a 5 year/ 32 million contract.

Peterson did not have $8 million tied to him gaining 2000 yards and 20 TDs last season, it was $1 million apiece. He can still gain another six million dollars for doing those in 2008, 2009, and 2010.

Link

I'll take Brady, money doesnt show the value of the player, winning does, and so far Ryan has one nothing..

Here, add the cap hits up yourself and be sure to subtract the $9M+ in remaining amortization from the 2002 deal. The deal when signed was for a little under $60M, and when he did his last restructure they added $2.7M to his $2.3M 2009 salary to bring the entire deal up to $61.9M for 6 years. $10.3M per.

Brady was "guaranteed" his $26.5M in signing and option bonuses if they cut him once he signed his deal. Ryan has been "guaranteed" $34.7M if they cut him before he ever sets foot on an NFL field. Brady made a little more than that in his first three years of this deal - $37.5M or $12.5M per. We don't yet know what Ryan will take home in his first 3. In his last three we do know Brady will only make $22.5M or a $7.5 per average.

Ryan's total deal may be for less than $72M if there are several incentives or escalators included. But the fact remains that he was guaranteed almost $35M up front as a rookie.

http://patscap.com/tombrady.gif

:
Brady will be extended before the 2010 season, likely well before...

...and it will more than likely be for an amount that is more than the terms of his current contract, but for less than whatever the highest-paid QB (Payaton?) will be making at the time. IOW, fair for both sides. Brady probably understands that, in a league where paying one player more means that another is paid less, trying to squeeze every last penny out of the FO - so that the ego is massaged, "respect" has been given and the "cred" and "rep" are preserved - is completely counter-productive to team-building and championship-winning. And championship-winning is rewarding in its own way; after all, money isn't everything.

So please, folks, shed no tears for Our Tom. He's doing OK now, and will do OK (with the NEP, I hope) in the future. Young Jack already never has to worry about anything for the rest of his life.

FWIW - Here are Matt Ryan's salaries.

2008 295000
2009 3500000
2010 4200000
2011 4900000
2012 5600000
2013 6300000

for a total of $24,795,000.

that is clearly the problem with the nfl draft, players who have never played a down in the nfl get insane contracts, often bigger ones that proven players. someone that has never taken a snap in the nfl should never make more money than the best player in the nfl at the same position, much less last years mvp. and people talk about baseball players being greedy....

FWIW - Here are Matt Ryan's salaries.

2008 295000
2009 3500000
2010 4200000
2011 4900000
2012 5600000
2013 6300000

for a total of $24,795,000.

Will be interesting to see how the remaining $48M or so is divided into bonus, guaranteed money and incentives or escalators. Not backloaded in salary though...and in 2010 he is scheduled to make more of that than Tom...though they are both scheduled to make oh, around $10M less than Peyton, so that is a relief...

Bottom line comparatively remains he's guaranteed almost $35M which is over $8M more than Brady was guaranteed three rings in, and just a couple of million less than Tom actually made over the first three years (2005-2007) of his present deal. And now that we are in opt out mode it will be more difficult to structure an extension through 2013-14...

.and in 2010 he is scheduled to make more of that than Tom...

I guess that you are not counting Tom's 3 million roster bonus that he is scheduled to get.

Bottom line comparatively remains he's guaranteed almost $35M which is over $8M more than Brady was guaranteed three rings in,

For all we know, part of the $35 million in guarantees could be his salaries. While they were not explicitly guaranteed, Tom's 2005, 2006 and 2007 salaries were implicitly guaranteed.

Because TB had two years left on his deal, he had to give a discount to the Patriots.

I guess that you are not counting Tom's 3 million roster bonus that he is scheduled to get.

Correct, because I didn't assume any roster bonuses for Ryan though he could well have some...

For all we know, part of the $35 million in guarantees could be his salaries. While they were not explicitly guaranteed, Tom's 2005, 2006 and 2007 salaries were implicitly guaranteed.

I understand that, and realize that salary over the first 3 seasons is implicitly guaranteed to most any top ten draft pick by virtue of the investment in bonus/guaranteed money in a 6 year deal, not to mention that draft pick. I also understand that Tom Condon negotiated this deal. So he will see AT LEAST $35M, and lots more if he's still playing beyond 3 seasons. Manning saw every penny of his Condon negotiated rookie deal and then got a monster second contract that he may yet see in it's entirety under an expiring CBA.

Because TB had two years left on his deal, he had to give a discount to the Patriots.

Tom went well above and beyond a 2 year discount on an exension the team initiated. And we both know that it was neither his nor their intent that he play for $22M over the final 3 seasons of his incremental deal...when Manning is scheduled to play for $41M over the same 3 years.

And we both know that it was neither his nor their intent that he play for $22M over the final 3 seasons of his incremental deal...when Manning is scheduled to play for $41M over the same 3 years.

If we are correct, then Matt Ryan will definitely not be making more than TB. Please note that I doubt that Ryan is making more money than TB now.

If we are correct, then Matt Ryan will definitely not be making more than TB. Please note that I doubt that Ryan is making more money than TB now.

Overall, no - but this season I'd almost guarantee you he is taking home more than $8M. The union, which is the same as saying Tom Condon via his client Gene Upshaw, has warned agents to get all their clients guaranteed money paid out before 2011 and/or any substantial 2011 money guaranteed against work stoppage.

It's going to be difficult to structure long term contracts or extensions to be cap or cash friendly for the next couple of seasons. I'd have thought a lot of clubs would have realized that and thought long and hard prior to voting on the opt out this early, but this is the NFL. Instead they will all just screetch as the reality sets in. Condon is the dean of agents when it comes to finding loopholes in a salary cap, but even he was stymied on workarounds on Manning and Harrison's deals in pre CBA 2006, and the only out he could find then involved actual givebacks. It will be interesting to see what the rest of the top 5 draftees end up with now that there aren't 6 seasons to amortize (and restructure around) and there are limits on salary increases approaching an uncapped year in addition to the standard rookie salary and cap limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back