PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Ryan now makes more than Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Meterperell will now leave WEEI to become his personal manager, he has long intimated that this might be the situation and hopefully it was not hype..

That's messes up .. no wonder we need a new deal.

Falcons sign QB Matt Ryan to 6-year, $72M contract
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hBtAaZdrOFUr-JRg_lD7g-KyyoxwD90PK9483

Yea, oh well. This is the same organization that payed Mike Vick all that money as well, I hope Arthur did a background check on Matt.

Tommy will get a new deal and it'll be nuts. Or he may just say I'll take $XX and I'll make $XXXXXXX in endorsements so use the extra to sign guys that will get us a ring.

Why on earth would you compare the number three pick and first QB taken in this year's draft with Craig Krenzel, a fifth rounder who came 145 picks later?

because they are both idiots.

-we don't know the full parameters of this deal. Almost no deal is as lucrative as its first published numbers make it appear.

-it is an excellent move by the Falcons to get their #3 pick Qb signed this early. Now Ryan, whom they believe to be a franchise Qb, can fully prepare for the season and the team will get its money's worth out of year 1.

How stupid was it for the Raiders to pay Russell a nominally less expensive contract, but get absolutely nothing for it in year 1? Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

-IMO Ryan should have been the #1 overall pick, and will be a perennial winner in the NFL. Having a potential pro bowl QB signed for 6 seasons for 30 million guaranteed is a lot better than the alternative: not having a franchise Qb at all, and paying the money to assorted scrubs who will never make you a winner.

-As far as people complaining Ryan hasn't accomplished anything yet... IMO That's one of the elements that makes the draft exciting, the tremendous risk involved. The great personnel decision makers get their rewards for brilliance, and the bad ones get punished for folly. I don't shed tears for $hi##y teams who can't draft well. Why should we as fans want the risk at the top of the draft reduced? It's like the highest stake poker game on earth. Less risk = less entertainment.

Last edited:
That's the problem with the current system, it rewards unproven talent and makes the team overpay. What are the falcons supposed to do not pay him, you can be as a great talent evaluator and still have to get lucky with your pick because their are no guarantee's. Hey good for Matt Ryan, money is great but I think Tom is doing OK, Gisele, she's alright.

It only appears that Ryan will make more than Brady. One needs to remember that Brady has changed a lot of salary into SB. Brady also has money in roster bonuses and such. Money that is pretty much guaranteed to him.

Also, lets remember that Brady was a 6th round pick, so he would end up making less money initially. Over-all, I think that Brady will have made more than 72 million. Not to mention that we don't know how much of that 72 million contract is just incentives that they rolled in to make the package look better. Like they did with Adrian Peterson. His contract had a ton of incentives. Ones he didn't make. In fact, his deal will max out around 32 million and not the 40 million originally reported.

That Brady has changed a lot of salary to SB after the fact is immaterial. In fact it may really bite us in the ass going forward because of the opt out. Bottom line is this kid got WAY MORE guaranteed money and total contract value in his rookie deal than Brady did in his 3rd incremental deal after already winning 3 Superbowls. $34M+ in guaranteed money. Brady earned closer to $36M in his first three years of this deal, but he was only "guaranteed" $26.5M via signing and option bonus.

Brady's ENTIRE current deal is worth $60M over 6 years. His 2002 4 year deal was worth $30M total and he received less than $20M of it prior to signing his current deal. So you're still talking 8 years $80M or $10M AAV any way you slice it.

Let's forget that first deal where he earned a half million for his first TWO seasons. Between his 2002 post already winning a SB deal and his present deal including this year he will have earned roughly $62M in the last 7 seasons during which he took the team to three superbowls and won 2. Over the final two seasons of his current deal he will earn $14M in salary and roster bonuses TOTAL. NOT GONNA HAPPEN...no matter how much he loves bling. Manning is getting double digit salaries in each of the back end years of his deal.

Tom needs a new deal. And under expiring CBA rules extending him won't he a fun exercise. They really should have tried to get it done before the opt out vote. Going forward they won't have 6 years to amortize since you can't extend amortization beyond a year past the uncapped season or 2011...which is why the Falcons did what they did - to even get a 6 year fully amortizable deal through 2013 done they faced a 4PM deadline to beat the opt out. Remember how hairy it was in March 2006 before the CBA was extended? When the Colts were facing wholesale roster cuts or actual givebacks from Harrison and Manning because they couldn't do simple restructures to free up cap space? Well, it's baaaaack. 2009 should be a pissa...

Good luck to the Rams getting CLong's deal done now. Or the rest of the top 5. Won't be nearly as cap friendly as RLong's or MRyan's. Likely another reason the Patriots really wanted to get their player at or beyond the 10th slot.

Last edited:
Ok guys, need some clarification here....I thought that they did away with the 6yr signings of rookies????? I thought 5yrs was tops now?

How long is Brady going to watch other qb's make more then him and stay happy?

Brady is on a team that wins wins, he takes home more money than anyone (except maybe Peyton) including his endorsements, and his girlfriend makes tens of millions $ per year.

I think he'll be happy for a while.

In a way, this hurts Ryan. It puts a number on his back and adds pressure to the situation down there in Atlanta.

Ok guys, need some clarification here....I thought that they did away with the 6yr signings of rookies????? I thought 5yrs was tops now?

FIrst half of the first round can get a 6 year deal....and since we havent been in the first half of the first round for a while you percieved it as gone because our guys could only sign a 5 year deal. Mayo can and prolly will be forced to take a 6 year deal.

Good luck to the Rams getting CLong's deal done now. Or the rest of the top 5. Won't be nearly as cap friendly as RLong's or MRyan's. Likely another reason the Patriots really wanted to get their player at or beyond the 10th slot.

I think the Pats being the only team to have a winning season last year to pick in the top 10 have and advantage over other teams in negotiations.

The Rams had to sign Long. If they didn't the fans would have demanded the GM be fired.

But if two months from now BB says the following:

"After lengthly negotiations it is clear Mayo want more money than he is worth. We simply will not pay a player more than he is worth, no matter if he is a FA or a first round draft pick. I wouldn't overpay Asante and I sure as hell ain't gonna overpay a rookie. Mayo hasn't played a down in the NFL and although I feel he has a potential to add to this team I can not say he is worth more money than Junior is worth. At this point Mayo has a choice, he can sign the 5-year deal we offered for $2.5 million: play for the rookie min. and negotiate after he has proven himself; or he can sit at home its his choice. We have signed Bo and Shawn and both of them are showing great potential."

This board won't blow-up. Nobody will be demanding BB and Scott be fired.

This give the Pats a better advantage in negotiating than the other teams who had a losing season last year and need a starter. All the other top 10 picks are going to need to be a starter week 1 the roster is that bare. Mayo might not start a game all season. We need to get some youth in LB, but he was likely picked more for his impact next season than this.

Brady is on a team that wins wins, he takes home more money than anyone (except maybe Peyton) including his endorsements, and his girlfriend makes tens of millions $ per year.

I think he'll be happy for a while.

Brady is a good guy, not a fool. He takes less than he could demand, but he's not looking to get taken advantage of. This is the 4th year of a 6 year deal that he agreed to knowing the team was tight up against the cap prior to the new CBA and constricted as to how they could structure his deal due to an expiring CBA on the horizen. Over the first three years he averaged around a million less per year in take home than Manning's AAV (but close to $3M million less than Manning's take in the first three). Not including the endorsement discrepancy. Over the next 3 years his take home drops to just over $7M per. While Mannings remains well into double digits. And a rookie from BC is guaranteed $34M+. So please, don't insult him, he's not going to just sit back and say no biggie... He also puts up with a lot more crap off the field than Manning, and I'm not just talking personal life, through no fault of his own.

He will never screw this organization, nor should they screw him.

I think the Pats being the only team to have a winning season last year to pick in the top 10 have and advantage over other teams in negotiations.

The Rams had to sign Long. If they didn't the fans would have demanded the GM be fired.

But if two months from now BB says the following:

"After lengthly negotiations it is clear Mayo want more money than he is worth. We simply will not pay a player more than he is worth, no matter if he is a FA or a first round draft pick. I wouldn't overpay Asante and I sure as hell ain't gonna overpay a rookie. Mayo hasn't played a down in the NFL and although I feel he has a potential to add to this team I can not say he is worth more money than Junior is worth. At this point Mayo has a choice, he can sign the 5-year deal we offered for $2.5 million: play for the rookie min. and negotiate after he has proven himself; or he can sit at home its his choice. We have signed Bo and Shawn and both of them are showing great potential."

This board won't blow-up. Nobody will be demanding BB and Scott be fired.

This give the Pats a better advantage in negotiating than the other teams who had a losing season last year and need a starter. All the other top 10 picks are going to need to be a starter week 1 the roster is that bare. Mayo might not start a game all season. We need to get some youth in LB, but he was likely picked more for his impact next season than this.

I think you meant to say draft, they haven't signed CLong yet. It could be a tough contract to get done now that the owners have opted out and seeing as the guys who cookend him are already signed to deals that can be amortized over 6 years, which his cannot.

Mayo's deal will be slotted, all rookie deals are, despite your silly hystrionics. The only question will be if they do a 6 or 5 year deal with him and how much of the deal is bonus vs. guarantees. And if they choose a 6 year deal they will not be able to amortize it for 6 years. Which is why it's a good thing is is not going to see a top 5 contract.

Chris Long should be very happy about this.

Chris Long is a football player first. His dad has enough money for them all to retire for the rest of their lives, so Chris really does not need money. He is a football player who wants to play, so he took a good deal and now he is set for life as well. I doubt you will see him breaking the bank, or trying to opt out of his contract at any point in his career. He come from a football family and has a great grasp on what he is doing. So i dont think he is really bothered that he could have made $20M more.

Probably the rest of his career. Money is not the No. 1 priority with him.

However, that being said I expect the next contact to be a monster - Probably still not going to be the highest paid QB or player, but it will be nuts.

I think he'll always leave Kraft a little extra room for players that will bring a ring.

Anyone wonder why the owner opted out of the CBA and why the Pats traded down? Even if Ryan turns out to be as good as Brady, that is a lot of money to gamble that he does.

And none of you guys think that Tom is going to get big money when we resign him?

And none of you guys think that Tom is going to get big money when we resign him?

Depends on how good Kevin is. If BB has some injury issues or is in the bigging of his decline AND Kevin or another QB looks to be progressing to being great QB, look to have BB trade TB at the start of the 2010 season to Buffalo for their 1st and 2nd round picks for the next three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back