PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney is more of a disappointment than a BUST

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we had Addai in 2006.... I could almost guarantee you a SB that yr.... and perhaps in 2007.

If we had Addai in 2006.... I could almost guarantee you a SB that yr.... and perhaps in 2007.

If we had Addai in 2006 I can almost guarantee you we would have missed the playoffs. This is a fun game to play :rolleyes:

How could you "almost guarantee" a Super Bowl in 2006 for the Patriots if they'd had Addai? Are you psychic or something?

Maroney wasn't the reason the Patriots lost in the AFCCG to the Colts. Horrible officiating and a lack of depth at receiver because Deion Branch decided to shaft the Patriots.

Well Jack, in case you did'nt notice, Maroney has had a habit of missing significant time in his professional carreer............like i stated earlier, sometimes it's tough to notice due to the fact the pats have dusted off several worn out vets who replaced him adeqately.

Why you get so worked up about this cat is beyond me.

So, by your saying that "Maroney has a habit of missing significant time" you are claiming he's doing it on purpose? That his broken shoulder last year was done on purpose? That the Shoulder injury in the middle of the 2007 season was on purpose?

How is Maroney "PURPOSELY" injuring himself?

Which "worn out vets" have the Pats "dusted off" to replace Maroney?

How could you "almost guarantee" a Super Bowl in 2006 for the Patriots if they'd had Addai? Are you psychic or something?

Maroney wasn't the reason the Patriots lost in the AFCCG to the Colts. Horrible officiating and a lack of depth at receiver because Deion Branch decided to shaft the Patriots.

That and Dallas Clark being uncoverable in that game.

I can't believe i'm being sucked into this, but anyway.

Morris rushed for like 750 yards, 7 or eight TDs in '08

Maroney's best season was 07'. 835 yds and 6 TDs.

I don't know, seems to me the pats did'nt fall off much without him.

I don't hate maroney or think he's a bust, but fans being disappointed in him seem justified.

If you are going to post stats, it might be good of you to actually provide links for them.

Laurence Maroney Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN
Maroney's best year was in 2007. 835 yards on 185 carries and 6TDs

Sammy Morris Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN
Morris best year with the Pats was in 2008. He had 156 carries for 727 yards and 7 TDs. And he had a lost fumble.

BTW, Morris was not a washed up vet when he joined the Pats. He was a 7 year vet who was brought in as a back-up RB and special teams player because he still had plenty left.

So, again, who are all these "washed up" vets you are referring to..

Not neccessarily speaking on the pats current RB situation. More or less saying Maroney was replaced adequately in the past....and could be again. He's just not that good dude................I don't see why that bothers you so much.

Oh, okay- well sure, then. If we could magically wish another talented running back onto the Pats' roster, then losing Maroney wouldn't suck too badly. That's true, but is that really supposed to make any kind of a point?

This BS has got to stop. Maroney is a part of the team whom we all love, we should be pulling for him no matter what.

This has gone too far.

And it's getting downright boring--not to mention played out and unsubstantiated.

Any member of the squad is alright in my book, and obviously our coach's too.

Not neccessarily speaking on the pats current RB situation. More or less saying Maroney was replaced adequately in the past....and could be again. He's just not that good dude................I don't see why that bothers you so much.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much, but as far as I can see there's 2 options.

1. Become a front office guru, work my way up the ranks, and lobby for his release or trade, which even if that happened it wouldn't be this yr anyway.

2. Accept the fact that in BB we actually do trust, and he is giving him an adequate chance to prosper. All we can do is root for and support the players on the squad, like I said, it's not like anything would be done this yr anyway, especially with the current RB injuries.

I personally think Maroney has underperformed also, but he is the #1 RB on the current roster, and deserves a chance. If this continues into next yr, then I would start to privately question our coach at times, but I would never lobby for his release/benching, nor would I do that with any player.

So, by your saying that "Maroney has a habit of missing significant time" you are claiming he's doing it on purpose? That his broken shoulder last year was done on purpose? That the Shoulder injury in the middle of the 2007 season was on purpose?

How is Maroney "PURPOSELY" injuring himself?

Which "worn out vets" have the Pats "dusted off" to replace Maroney?

you gotta be kidding me.............................

If you are going to post stats, it might be good of you to actually provide links for them.

Laurence Maroney Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN
Maroney's best year was in 2007. 835 yards on 185 carries and 6TDs

Sammy Morris Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN
Morris best year with the Pats was in 2008. He had 156 carries for 727 yards and 7 TDs. And he had a lost fumble.

BTW, Morris was not a washed up vet when he joined the Pats. He was a 7 year vet who was brought in as a back-up RB and special teams player because he still had plenty left.

So, again, who are all these "washed up" vets you are referring to..

Worn out vets may have been a poor choice of words (although I'll bet more than a few would describe Fred Taylor that way). Fact remains replacing Maroney's production with jorneyman type players has not proved too difficult.

you gotta be kidding me.............................

Morris had 374 career carries when he got here, so he clearly doesn't fit the bill. And Fred Taylor didn't replace Maroney- in games where both were healthy, they've split carries almost exactly evenly.

Worn out vets may have been a poor choice of words (although I'll bet more than a few would describe Fred Taylor that way). Fact remains replacing Maroney's production with jorneyman type players has not proved too difficult.

He's a vet, sure, but worn out? Did you see him run this year? Or in 2007? He looked crappy last year because the Jags basically had a bus wreck's worth of OL injuries, but Taylor's got gas left in the tank. His early-career injuries and platooning with James Stewart and later MJD helped him quite a bit in that respect. He has ~250 fewer career carries than Tomlinson, who is 3 years younger than him. Only 301 more than Clint Portis, who is 5 years younger. Still has almost 150 fewer carries than Corey Dillon did when he retired, and far less punishing ones at that. etc. etc. etc. - RBs age in carries more than years.

Last edited:
Oh, okay- well sure, then. If we could magically wish another talented running back onto the Pats' roster, then losing Maroney wouldn't suck too badly. That's true, but is that really supposed to make any kind of a point?

????????.......We got two on the roster right now that are as talented and in Taylors case, probably more talented.

For the final time, Maroney ain't the kind of player whos gonna be terribly difficult to replace.........To me thats just a statement of fact. It's already been demonstrated. No offense to him or you.

maybe if we ran the ball while up 21-0 on a team that cant stop the run, the guy would produce

unfortunately, the playcaller thinks shotgun is better at that point

if i were calling the plays, i gaurantee u that he would be neither, and at the very least a SOLID pick

LOL. Gotta love the, I can run the Pats offense better than the pro coaches who called offensive plays that scored 94 combined points over the past 2 weeks! :rolleyes:

The excuse-making for Maroney is borderline legendary. Look at his YPC, he MUST be awesome! *g*

Last edited:
LOL. Gotta love the, I can run the Pats offense better than the pro coaches who called offensive plays that scored 94 combined points over the past 2 weeks! :rolleyes:

The excuse-making for Maroney is borderline legendary. Look at his YPC, he MUST be awesome! *g*

That's not what ALP said at all- he said that if he called the plays Maroney would have better stats because he'd run more. Made no claim to that being a better way to run an offense than what the Pats do. Few philosophies are inherently better than others. It almost always comes down to execution and maximizing the talents of the players that you have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes