PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney is more of a disappointment than a BUST

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the Maroney supporters would be in favor of giving Laurence starter-money to re-sign when his contract is up soon.

That should pretty much end the debate on how 'good' he is.

I think this threads needs to do some searching.
watson has taken 5 yrs to develop and might be the one of the first rounders he can be compared with for now.The rest of played alot of snaps from get go.Its not maroney fault but we are pass first team.

why does anyone want dillion.dillon effectiveness was greater here due to alarge part grass field .He is a mud and power runner and in his awesome year the climate and our natural turf made is had for speed guys to track him.
Now in gillette turf he will be less effective as the speed of defensive players increases.

maroney is 24 or something. this is a kid and came out earlier. I will definitely sign him back especially he is developing slowly as he plays so many less snaps in our offence.

What do your basic observational and analytical skills tell you when an undrafted FA's stats match a highly touted first rounder?

MY basic observational and analytical skills tell me this:

1) Baltimore has one of the best run defenses in the league.
2) Tampa Bay has one of the worst.

So, Maroney getting 7 carries for 6 yards is that defense stacking the box and doing what they do best. When BJGE does it against a weak defense like Tampa, it tells me that most people have him over-hyped.

I'm willing to give him a run in the upcoming 3 or 4 big games because without a decent running game we will lose to Indy and NO

If we see him dancing into a tackle for his 2 yard gains and then see Faulk get 6 or 7 yards I think we'll have to consider the whole RB position if Taylor and Morris aren't back for the playoffs

Is he signed through next year?

This argument never ends because the Maroney bashers just can't stop. Here are the first round picks from 2006:

Reggie Bush as the #2 overall pick
Vince Young at #3
D'Brickashaw Ferguson at #4
A.J. Hawk at #5
Vernon Davis at #6
Michael Huff at #7
Donte Whitner at #8
Matt Leinhart at #10

That's 8 players in the top 10 that are either disappointments or outright busts. Frankly, when I factor in what the Patriots' needs were at the time, I'm not sure I'd take a single one of them over Maroney, and I'm positive that I wouldn't take any of them + the contract over Maroney + the contract.

Ok.... now I have to post this. Because u brought up busts......

how about this 1 hotshot. I would take every runner before Maroney listed on this list. Same Draft later selections, better players.... just sayin

you started this one

21 Maroney
----------------------------------
27 DeAngelo Willams
30 Joseph Addai
60 Maurice Jones Drew round 2
117 round 4 Leon Washington

None of the Maroney supporters would be in favor of giving Laurence starter-money to re-sign when his contract is up soon.

That should pretty much end the debate on how 'good' he is.

that's a classic red herring by means of which you're trying to make those of us who have defended Maroney cop to a position that we've never taken.

at least for me, the argument has always been about whether he is a "bust" and worthy of the harsh criticisms to which he has been subjected. i am at a loss to explain the personal anger that many on this board have directed at him (the kind of vitriol that leads me to conclude that it's more about "them" than Maroney) and this has led me at times to defend him more robustly than i might otherwise have done, since i feel that it embarrasses not only those who post it but all of us on this board.

i've taken the position consistently for a couple of years now that he is a disappointment (to me at least) as a hyped, first round pick, but otherwise a solid and at times "good" back who is inconsistent, who would benefit from better blocking and schemes (but, who wouldn't?) and a player whom i am happy to have on the team. i hope the pats resign him but have never argued nor would i argue that he's worthy of premier back money.

MY basic observational and analytical skills tell me this:

1) Baltimore has one of the best run defenses in the league.
2) Tampa Bay has one of the worst.

So, Maroney getting 7 carries for 6 yards is that defense stacking the box and doing what they do best. When BJGE does it against a weak defense like Tampa, it tells me that most people have him over-hyped.

My basic observational and anyalytical skills tell me this:

Only a person who has no clue picks out one game to decide how good or bad a player is. Maroney's figures stand up very well when compared with others on game average.

I'm not insulting you here, I'd agree with what you say but the big problem with all these guys who bash Maroney is that the figures prove how wrong they are, but they just won't accept that.

how about this 1 hotshot. I would take every runner before Maroney listed on this list. Same Draft later selections, better players.... just sayin

you started this one

21 Maroney
27 DeAngelo Willams
30 Joseph Addai

yes, but that doesn't make him a "bust." it just says that he hasn't lived up to his draft slot, which most of us who defend him have never denied. and, honestly, where did you have Washington and Drew on your Draft card BEFORE they played in the league? i'll be honest enough to admit they weren't at the top of my radar screen.

Last edited:

you started this one

21 Maroney
27 DeAngelo Willams
30 Joseph Addai

Joseph Addai?!? Joseph Addai over the last two years (even with Maroney missing the season last year) has been a far bigger disapointment than Maroney. Since the Pats played the Colts in November of 2007, Addai has had one game (including playoffs) of over 100 yards. Maroney has had 5. Addai averaged 3.5 YPC last year and is averaging 3.3 YPC this year. This year Maroney only has 9 less yards in rushing than Addai eventhough Addai has carried the rock 21 more times than Maroney.

The Colts would trade Addai for Maroney straight up right now in a heartbeat. Addai sucks. That is why they spend a first this year on Donald Brown.

the last post did not mean Maroney as a bust.

Since the guy b4 me brought up busts in the draft....

I was behooved to find better options later on in the draft at the running back position.

Maroney=disappointment not BUST

lol its funny. You guys say the same about Maroney, as we do about Addai :)

Addai had a great rookie season, but hasnt done squat since. I think it just comes with our territory, having Manning and Brady, the RBs shouldnt expect to achieve outstanding numbers. Our backs works okay in our systems, but they arent going to be game changers by any means.

I would label Addai and Maroney's "dissappointments" more due to the fact of the team they are playing on. If they went to another team, who knows what they would be capable of.

Joseph Addai?!? Joseph Addai over the last two years (even with Maroney missing the season last year) has been a far bigger disapointment than Maroney. Since the Pats played the Colts in November of 2007, Addai has had one game (including playoffs) of over 100 yards. Maroney has had 5. Addai averaged 3.5 YPC last year and is averaging 3.3 YPC this year. This year Maroney only has 9 less yards in rushing than Addai eventhough Addai has carried the rock 21 more times than Maroney.

The Colts would trade Addai for Maroney straight up right now in a heartbeat. Addai sucks. That is why they spend a first this year on Donald Brown.

well-said; thanks for the Addai stats, I'll use them when some other poster who thinks he's an NFL Director of Player Personnel starts going on about him. and so much of this is perfect, 20-20 hindsight by folks who are all of a sudden draft geniuses.

i am sick and tired of the garbage that is directed at Maroney out here. i can only imagine what the guys on the team or on the coaching staff think about it if they have the misfortune to read some of the nonsense that is written in these threads.

Last edited:
lol its funny. You guys say the same about Maroney, as we do about Addai :)

Addai had a great rookie season, but hasnt done squat since. I think it just comes with our territory, having Manning and Brady, the RBs shouldnt expect to achieve outstanding numbers. Our backs works okay in our systems, but they arent going to be game changers by any means.

I would label Addai and Maroney's "dissappointments" more due to the fact of the team they are playing on. If they went to another team, who knows what they would be capable of.

Welcome! Thanks for the perspective.

This board has a track record of welcoming opposition posters who are (a) not trolls, (b) polite and (c) knowledgeable about the NFL, even when they talk a little trash. So far, you're off to a good start in my book.

This argument never ends because the Maroney bashers just can't stop. Here are the first round picks from 2006:

Reggie Bush as the #2 overall pick
Vince Young at #3
D'Brickashaw Ferguson at #4
A.J. Hawk at #5
Vernon Davis at #6
Michael Huff at #7
Donte Whitner at #8
Matt Leinhart at #10

That's 8 players in the top 10 that are either disappointments or outright busts. Frankly, when I factor in what the Patriots' needs were at the time, I'm not sure I'd take a single one of them over Maroney, and I'm positive that I wouldn't take any of them + the contract over Maroney + the contract.

Hasn't Ernie Sims been considered a disappointment in Detriot, as well? I wouldn't know, since I couldn't care less about the Lions, but I think I remember rumblings to that effect. On the flip side, I think Vernon Davis has begun to pick it up.

Hell, you can even expand it to every player taken before Maroney.

13 Kamerion Wimbley OLB Florida State Cleveland Browns
14 Brodrick Bunkley DT Florida State Philadelphia Eagles
15 Tye Hill CB Clemson St. Louis Rams
16 Jason Allen DB Tennessee Miami Dolphins
18 Bobby Carpenter LB Ohio State Dallas Cowboys

Addai is a great back out of the flats though, good hands, will catch the ball. He is also great with pass protection. He does a lot of other things great, but he always seems like hes on a pogo stick when hes toting the rock, always trying to hop skip for the big play, instead of hitting the hole. I like Addai for his other skillsets, but to be labeled a RB, he really needs to be able to fidn the hole and just go. That being said, he wont get a contract extension when that time comes. I could almost guarantee it :p

Welcome! Thanks for the perspective.

This board has a track record of welcoming opposition posters who are (a) not trolls, (b) polite and (c) knowledgeable about the NFL, even when they talk a little trash. So far, you're off to a good start in my book.

thanks! We have quite a few pats fan on our board that are regular posters, i figure i'd come on over to their side for a bit and hang out, if thats alright with you guys ;) You wont get any trouble for me, im jsut here to talk some football with some rivals :D

Addai is a great back out of the flats though, good hands, will catch the ball. He is also great with pass protection. He does a lot of other things great, but he always seems like hes on a pogo stick when hes toting the rock, always trying to hop skip for the big play, instead of hitting the hole. I like Addai for his other skillsets, but to be labeled a RB, he really needs to be able to fidn the hole and just go. That being said, he {Addai} wont get a contract extension when that time comes. I could almost guarantee it :p

Whoa! Maybe NE and the Colts swap RBs!?!

I think both guys will be offered extensions but at a rate well under the vaunted '20 carries per game' feature back price

Whoa! Maybe NE and the Colts swap RBs!?!

I think both guys will be offered extensions but at a rate well under the vaunted '20 carries per game' feature back price

I think Maroney is more likely to get an extension than Addai. The Colts look like they are already ready to move on from him drafting Donald Brown in the first round. Addai's size also is a bigger risk going forward for the Colts.

Actually, Addai might be able to take over the Faulk role for the Pats because he is a better receiving RB than a rushing RB and he is small and fast. He might be more suited for the Pats in the Faulk role than he would be for the Colts in any role.

Maroney could drop off the face of the earth and the Patriots would not miss a beat...........He may not deserve all the criticism, but going to lengths to defend such an insignificant player seems ridiculous.

Listing a group of sucky players in Maroney's draft class is pointless. He's just another in a rather larger group of DISAPPOINTMENTS.

yes, but that doesn't make him a "bust." it just says that he hasn't lived up to his draft slot, which most of us who defend him have never denied. and, honestly, where did you have Washington and Drew on your Draft card BEFORE they played in the league? i'll be honest enough to admit they weren't at the top of my radar screen.

probably already stated but, hindsight is quite possibly the dumbest thing to use for a past draft. Regardless of whether the Pats picked him or not, I still think Maroney would have been drafted higher than those backs that came after him.

plus I think that it is pretty well known that since his rookie season, Addai hasnt produced much as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back