PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Daniels on the fall of Mac Jones

If true, it's especially egregious because this entire offensive system is based on structure, and the QB/weapons being on the same page. Having your QB go rogue in that scenario dooms a play from the start. Not to mention this particular QB isn't an athletic phenom, so his ability to just create out of nothing isn't there, and outside of maybe Douglas, the weapons he had weren't the kind of players to excel at a freelance kind of play. No one was being instructed, trained, taught, whatever to be looking for scramble plays.
Not the 1st we heard this. There was a report that Mac would audible out of a play to just ignore the receiver that new play called for.

I can see why BoB left (was left) and why Mayo appears to be looking for OCs outside the old Pats system. He needs to clean house on the offensive and ST sides of the coaching staff.

Whole lotta ego drippin’ from a lotta people mentioned in that article,

Apparently he had an injury. Can’t make that stuff up.

This article feels like a PR move from Mac camp.
What did he learn from that experience?

"Despite the injury, Jones took accountability. According to a team source, Jones later admitted his mistake on the play, noting he would’ve been better off taking a sack on that snap."

So, he learned with pressure a mile away from him, with plenty of time to step up and make a good throw, he should've taken a sack.

Gesicki was wide open in the end zone. He should've taken a sack.

If this is learning, I don't want to see the finished product.

Goff never played in St-Louis

View attachment 56315

That’s his first 3 years in the league. Truly awful bust

yeah my mistake on the timelines of St Louis moving to LA. He played with Jeff Fisher though thats why I get the St. Louis impression.

Goff never played in St-Louis

View attachment 56315

That’s his first 3 years in the league. Truly awful bust
Case of Mandella effect right here. I thought he had a few years before McVay showed up, but was hired in 2017. It was Gurley that said the offense was a "High School Offense" when Fisher was there.

Some of it is I think. Daniels does call it out as "Jones supporters say..." like whining about his receivers dropping his best passes. Cmon kid this is the NFL everything won't be roses and unicorns here.

He acted this way in Alabama, pissing off Saban. BB definitely knew.

Smith-Schuster over Meyer is a fireable offense.
How can you not know his knee was toast. That's what you get paid for...to know/find out these things.

If it was either Groh or Wolf, that should eliminate them as a GM candidate.
You can't build an offense around Meyers, so I wouldn't call it a fireable offense. But signing a guy with poor health history over Meyers was pretty bad.

I think Douglas is already on his way to being a better WR than Meyers. Now the Pats need to build on that and get some outside guys.

I don’t know about anyone else here but I have dozens of friends with children with developmental disabilities of various degrees, and this “ corky” **** that Triumph started has gotten really old. Literally no one wants Mac Jones here, but that’s no reason to be this offensive every single day. If you want to insult him go ahead, but there’s no need to copy the dumbest and most offensive poster on this site to do it.

McCorkle is literally his name. So there's no need to get offended.

Mac as well as Corky would be nicknames derived from McCorkle.

"Mac Jones, born Michael McCorkle Jones, is a talented athlete with a dynamic personality and a 4.0 GPA. Source: MAC JONES: Quarterback for the Alabama Crimson Tide

You can't build an offense around Meyers, so I wouldn't call it a fireable offense. But signing a guy with poor health history over Meyers was pretty bad.

I think Douglas is already on his way to being a better WR than Meyers. Now the Pats need to build on that and get some outside guys.
I was one of those guys who liked the JJSS signing vs. Meyers because of Meyers’ limitations. But I didn’t know about his injuries. That’s acceptable for me as a fan not to know it, but NFL front offices need to do their proper diligence. Heck, the Raiders redid some of Jimmy G’s contract after signing him because of what they discovered. Why didn’t the Pats medical staff pick up on anything, or if they did, why did leadership ignore it?

I was one of those guys who liked the JJSS signing vs. Meyers because of Meyers’ limitations. But I didn’t know about his injuries. That’s acceptable for me as a fan not to know it, but NFL front offices need to do their proper diligence. Heck, the Raiders redid some of Jimmy G’s contract after signing him because of what they discovered. Why didn’t the Pats medical staff pick up on anything, or if they did, why did leadership ignore it?
I watched JJSS in college and I really liked him and was hoping NE would draft him. But the JJSS signing was bizarre given his recent injury history and him being exposed prior in Pittsburgh without the attention being taken away with Antonio Brown (who was classless to make fun on him for it). He had a somewhat bounce back year in KC with attention being on Kelce. The only positive that was talked about here was his potential for YAC, which is still a massive limitation for Meyers. Douglas is already at a 6.9 yards after catch in his rookie season which was 27th in the NFL as opposed to Meyers who continues to rank among the worst at 3.4 yards after catch. They are stuck with Schuster for at least one more year and can get out of it in 2025.

Read the article. Didn't feel like it was an excuse piece.

Mac absolutely contributed to his own failures, but coaching and lack of talent contributed as much or more.

I still think Belichick is one of the greatest football tacticians ever, but younger generations don't want to be dealt with in that way. You can use the work "coddled" if you want, but it doesn't make it any less true, and you have to deal with it and adapt regardless of you feeling towards it.

worked fine 25 years ago, and there were enough good players who could act as a go between.

idk where he'd be if things were handled differently. He might still be 3rd string, but as a coach, you job is not just Xs and Os, its also managing people and for all Belichick has done ( I never thought I'd see one superbowl trophy in my lifetime, nevermind 6), one thing hes seems to never been good at is the overall commination skills, particularly the younger kids who do need that.

I am NOT in that age group., but if you stop looking at this as "i'm playing football" and more as a "job/business" (most of us here would play for free, but thats bc we cant LOL), would you put up with that? would you not feel that at the very least, if you're going to be judged on results, you should be set up to succeed?

kinda went off on a tangent there, but oh well, whatta ya gonna do LOL

McCorkle is literally his name. So there's no need to get offended.

Mac as well as Corky would be nicknames derived from McCorkle.

"Mac Jones, born Michael McCorkle Jones, is a talented athlete with a dynamic personality and a 4.0 GPA. Source: MAC JONES: Quarterback for the Alabama Crimson Tide
But he doesn't call himself that. Let's say your name is Michael and you prefer to be called Mike and then some guy who doesn't like you starts calling you Mikey?

Belittling someone because they have a name that could potentially have a belittling nickname isn't cool. You can deny that you're not belittling him with the "Corky" thing but I don't buy it. Not for a second. If he didn't suck, you'd be calling him Mac.

Read the article. Didn't feel like it was an excuse piece.

Mac absolutely contributed to his own failures, but coaching and lack of talent contributed as much or more.

I still think Belichick is one of the greatest football tacticians ever, but younger generations don't want to be dealt with in that way. You can use the work "coddled" if you want, but it doesn't make it any less true, and you have to deal with it and adapt regardless of you feeling towards it.

worked fine 25 years ago, and there were enough good players who could act as a go between.

idk where he'd be if things were handled differently. He might still be 3rd string, but as a coach, you job is not just Xs and Os, its also managing people and for all Belichick has done ( I never thought I'd see one superbowl trophy in my lifetime, nevermind 6), one thing hes seems to never been good at is the overall commination skills, particularly the younger kids who do need that.

I am NOT in that age group., but if you stop looking at this as "i'm playing football" and more as a "job/business" (most of us here would play for free, but thats bc we cant LOL), would you put up with that? would you not feel that at the very least, if you're going to be judged on results, you should be set up to succeed?

kinda went off on a tangent there, but oh well, whatta ya gonna do LOL

As a person from this age group (a few years older), I'd say there is a conflation between pervasive individualism with "I don't want to be treated this way."

That isn't me dismissing that; I do think we're less likely to respond to the "yell-at-you-when-uou-****-up" evisceration because it's needless (most of the time), but also we're also a generation that is devoid of many examples of collectivism, and that butts up against a team sport like Football, and is glaringly apparent when people fear being leaders, like this article claims with Mac. The irony is we tend to retreat to the comfort of a collective more and more as the stakes get higher.

But he doesn't call himself that. Let's say your name is Michael and you prefer to be called Mike and then some guy who doesn't like you starts calling you Mikey?

Belittling someone because they have a name that could potentially have a belittling nickname isn't cool. You can deny that you're not belittling him with the "Corky" thing but I don't buy it. Not for a second. If he didn't suck, you'd be calling him Mac.

I haven’t read anything about what the knee injury exactly is. I’m wondering/hoping that it can heal up by next season. He’s only 27.

Same with me. I didn't mind the idea of trying to upgrade from the position and thought Juju was a great fit and he was productive in the SB so how bad could they be. Boy was I ever wrong.

From Daniels article:

I wouldn't count on him sticking around.
Unless I misinterpreted the article we could keep him this year. I would only Trade him if somebody gives us a Fourth but not anything less.

You have dozens of friends with children with developmental disabilities? I don't think I have a dozen friends total.

Yep. The number of children of friends of mine who are on the autistic spectrum is really amazing to me, and ts definitely dozens. Out of four guys I play golf with regularly 2 have kids on the autistic spectrum, one has a newborn, so it’s not clear yet, and the other doesn’t have any kids. And that’s just out of that golf group.

But Jones didn't?
100% he did. He also could have handled his situation a lot better and maybe he started to do that when it was too late.

Hard to evaluate both guys when the offense was a clown show the last couple of seasons.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back