PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Marcus Cannon's Tweet hints he is ready to practice

Having Cannon practicing this season would be huge for next year...hate to lose a year's development on a guy that could be well ahead of the curve by next TC.....Would be nice to have him available to plug in the games where Brady gets pulled and Hoyer gets some PT late in games.....

developing our own linemen from draft rather than 1-2 year rentals is always good like Big Vince. So if he is able to practice and get valuable expericene, why not ?

Last edited:

This is GREAT news....true. ;) . He is absolutely NECESSARY to this roster. If you noticed in the game, while the OL did an excellent job in protecting the QBs when we passed, I DIDN'T see much PUSH at the LOS in the running game. I don't recall a single run between the Ts where there was a significant hole for the RB (outside the Medelin TD, which I just remembered). Most of the time we were just getting stalemates at the LOs from the interior guys.

IIRC, the reason everyone was excited about Cannon was the prospect of eventually having a real "road grader" on the right side who could get "push", and conversely add some girth to the inside when teams try to push the pocket when we pass. Well as well as Dan Connolly played last year those issues haven't gone away. And though I'm comfortable with Connolly being able to do an adequate job at the position, Cannon has the potential to eventually be better. So having him in camp, getting reps, will only accelerate the time (this year or next) when he can get in there as the starter.

If he can be ready to contribute by midseason, I'd rather give him one of the backup slots. In any case, he's still PUP-eligible, so I'd go with that first.

That would make sense.

I see a very bright future for him.

So right now I am seeing Light, Mankins, Koppen, Connoly, Volmer, Solder, Levoir (G/T), Ohrnberger (C/G), and one of Maneri/Wemdell. all the backups have positional flexibility. Cannon to PUP is a good idea

Next year I see Cannon as a starter. Clearly this is a talented and mentally tough kid seeing how he has dealt with his illness. Lester's mental toughness comes to mind here.

This is GREAT news....true. ;) . He is absolutely NECESSARY to this roster. If you noticed in the game, while the OL did an excellent job in protecting the QBs when we passed, I DIDN'T see much PUSH at the LOS in the running game. I don't recall a single run between the Ts where there was a significant hole for the RB (outside the Medelin TD, which I just remembered). Most of the time we were just getting stalemates at the LOs from the interior guys.

IIRC, the reason everyone was excited about Cannon was the prospect of eventually having a real "road grader" on the right side who could get "push", and conversely add some girth to the inside when teams try to push the pocket when we pass. Well as well as Dan Connolly played last year those issues haven't gone away. And though I'm comfortable with Connolly being able to do an adequate job at the position, Cannon has the potential to eventually be better. So having him in camp, getting reps, will only accelerate the time (this year or next) when he can get in there as the starter.

Didn't the entire starting OL sit the game out?

Yes, but why bother watching the game before making dire predictions.

4th Round price tag and first round talent. I say let the kid practice and see where it goes from there. Given what he has gone through, he seems mentally tough enough to pick up our ways.

As long as his health checks out, let's see what he has.

My mentality is if you can contribute you play.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it seems like everyone is reading a lot into Cannon's six words.

Personally my first reaction to "time to get in this playbook" meant 'wow, I really have a whole lot of learning to do; I need to spend a lot of time watching film and studying the playbook before I can contribute'.

Perhaps Reiss and Rapoport are seeing something at practices or hearing something from the staff that makes them feel Cannon is ready to go, but I don't know why they or anyone else would assume that from that one brief sentence.

Hopefully I am wrong and everyone else is right; I'm just not yet ready to jump to that conclusion.

Obviously yes. You missed my point. Connolly is being penciled in by most as the likely as the RC on opening day. I'm fine with that. HOWEVER, while adequate in all areas of the game, Connonlly or any other of the other potential OG candidates have the potential to be a real road grader type of player. Eventually he, Volmer, and the blocking TE will give the Pats a VERY strong running side.

BTW - I made my comment to the poster who suggested that Cannon would be better off being put on IR this season. I disagree. The more reps he gets, the faster he will get into the starters position. It might not happen this season, even if he comes on Monday. But it won't hurt his development either

idk about this. I really thought we were stashing this guy for next season? How much muscle/strength did he lose from the chemo? I am all to familiar w/ that shi t. I am just hesitant in handing the position over to him b/c we already have a good bunch this yr. .

If he can truly do this--- why not? PUP him to start and let us see him join the team in the middle of the season:)

Obviously yes. You missed my point. Connolly is being penciled in by most as the likely as the RC on opening day. I'm fine with that. HOWEVER, while adequate in all areas of the game, Connonlly or any other of the other potential OG candidates have the potential to be a real road grader type of player. Eventually he, Volmer, and the blocking TE will give the Pats a VERY strong running side.

BTW - I made my comment to the poster who suggested that Cannon would be better off being put on IR this season. I disagree. The more reps he gets, the faster he will get into the starters position. It might not happen this season, even if he comes on Monday. But it won't hurt his development either

I wasn't sure how the second string OL not blocking well in run plays meant that we needed Cannon. I do, however, agree with your overall point: it would definitely beneficial to get Cannon involved this year, if he is healthy enough. Assuming health is not a limiting factor, he definitely has the potential to be much better than Connolly.

Marcus Cannon tweeted this this morning:

Twitter

Both Mike Reiss and Ian Rapaport believe it means he is either ready to practice or close.

You got that from Rap tweeting hmm... Talk about reading between the lines. The tweet itself probably indicated he was getting ready to go to a meeting. They are back in today.

Rap just tweeted there are no plans to activate him.

Next year Cannon is the starting OG and Conolly is the backup C/G.

Relax everyone, the kid is coming off Chemo, this is the NFL.

He has been off chemo for a long time. He is in good health now- and he is a massive upgrade over Connolly.

You got that from Rap tweeting hmm... Talk about reading between the lines. The tweet itself probably indicated he was getting ready to go to a meeting. They are back in today.

Rap just tweeted there are no plans to activate him.

Both he and Reiss indicated that it may be him coming off the PUP. Rapaport believed it enough that he had to ask his sources if it was true. Someone even asked Rapaport if Cannon's tweet mean that he is falling behind on the playbook or almost ready to practice and Rapaport responsed it was the latter. Another Tweeter asked Rapaort if Cannon's tweet is "breaking news" and he responde "That's what I am wondering". If there was any reading between the line, it was by Rapaport and Reiss. All I did was report what they were speculating.

Quetion to Rapport:

@PhilBrousseau @RapSheet are you saying hmmm because he should've been in the playbook already or because it's a possible sign he may be close 2 playing?

Rapaports response:

@PhilBrousseau the second thing...

Last edited:

This.

The guys health is of paramount importance here. He's young. Lets not be rash or hasty here.

He wants on the field but others should be making the decisions here. If that means Pup then so be it.

@RapSheet Ian R. Rapoport

Promising news on #Patriots OL Marcus Cannon (cancer). I doubt he'll be on the field today. But the hope is it'll be very soon.

Twitter

@RapSheet Ian R. Rapoport

Promising news on #Patriots OL Marcus Cannon (cancer). I doubt he'll be on the field today. But the hope is it'll be very soon.

Twitter

That seems much more concrete than Cannon's own tweet. Great news! :rocker:

This.

The guys health is of paramount importance here. He's young. Lets not be rash or hasty here.

He wants on the field but others should be making the decisions here. If that means Pup then so be it.

Wait, you mean doctors and coaches should and WILL make the decision instead of forum posters? I don't know if I can agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call