PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax?

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Some people make up a girlfriend because they think it makes them cooler, brings them some kind of social legitimacy to have a girlfriend.

Te'o is a decorated linebacker for Notre Dame. What reasons would he have to make something up to fit in??? The kid is gay, and created the fictional long distance girlfriend to cover it up. When he realized the story could eventually fail, he "killed her off" to cover his tracks. Makes too much sense/

Unfortunately for him, American journalists really have nothing better to do :)
IMO, It doesn't really make any sense to kill her off if your whole goal was only to cover up that you're gay (which is a big assumption regardless). If he thought the plan would fail, you just say things didn't work out with the girl and no one bothers to look at this, it never becomes a story. College kids not being able to make a long distance relationship work isn't shocking and isn't a story. Having your girlfriend die is something that people are going to jump all over.

At first thought, when it comes to the death of the girl...it seems like he either thought this person actually existed (regardless of whether he knew it wasn't a real relationship) and that she actually died. In that case his televised sorrow may or may not be legitimate. Or that he knew noone associated in this died and he embellished for the media. It is the "killing off" of this fantasy person that is so puzzling. I have no idea what to think of his involvement or lack of involvement. No idea.

Last edited:
Let's pretend for one second that he isn't full of **** and that there actually was a group who had nothing better to do than spend hours a night over the span of a year or whatever pretending to be his girlfriend with no monetary or logical gain from any of it.

How was he notified of her death? Did she email him that she had passed away? :rolleyes: And during that whole time Teo never once thought to go look for an official obituary or personally talk to one of her family members? This was such a tender relationship yet he didn't look into her death or background WHATSOEVER? His story holds so little water it's not even funny.

And why was this thread PS'd?? This story is going to be talked about for ages IMO it should have stayed on the main forum at least a few days.

IMO, It doesn't really make any sense to kill her off if your whole goal was only to cover up that you're gay (which is a big assumption regardless). If he thought the plan would fail, you just say things didn't work out with the girl and no one bothers to look at this, it never becomes a story. College kids not being able to make a long distance relationship work isn't shocking and isn't a story. Having your girlfriend die is something that people are going to jump all over.

At first thought, when it comes to the death of the girl...it seems like he either thought this person actually existed (regardless of whether he knew it wasn't a real relationship) and that she actually died. In that case his televised sorrow may or may not be legitimate. Or that he knew noone associated in this died and he embellished for the media. It is the "killing off" of this fantasy person that is so puzzling. I have no idea what to think of his involvement or lack of involvement. No idea.

No, she's on her death bed and he doesn't visit her once. In fact, he's never met her in person. And her twitter account wasa set up by his good friend Reniah Tuiasasopo or whatever hsi name is.

He wanted some notariety and so he killed her off and made a big show about how brave he was to go on "even though the love of his life just died". How was she the love of his life when he never even met her?

"Her" sister got on line and Teo wanted some people to follow her on twitter. He said she was one of the "realist" people he knows! He never met her either obviously. He was just having fun with it.

And her twitter account wasa set up by his good friend Reniah Tuiasasopo or whatever hsi name is.

Have they contacted that guy yet for questioning? He's supposedly the one that 'introduced' them right? So he'll have all the answers I'd imagine

Have they contacted that guy yet for questioning? He's supposedly the one that 'introduced' them right? So he'll have all the answers I'd imagine

I'm not sure he did anything illegal. It's not like Teo paid him money.

Teo says now that he never met her and it was all internet. Which is a little strange to have the love of your life someone you've never even met.

I'm not sure he did anything illegal. It's not like Teo paid him money.

Teo says now that he never met her and it was all internet. Which is a little strange to have the love of your life someone you've never even met.

Right but what I'm saying is Tuissapo supposedly introduced them. So is Teo trying to say that Tuissapo was part of the hoax? Aren't they supposed to be friends or cousins?

Last edited:
I'm glad this is only one of twenty or more active threads currently being discussed on Patsfans.com.

It's getting the level of interest on here that it merits. But the media storm over this is ridiculous given this guy is really only a profile player in the second tier of a sport.

This guy isn't Armstrong but it's getting that sort of exposure. Mike and Mike gave over the ENTIRE show yesterday for the subject. HELLOOOO it's the championship weekend and a sports show spends most of its time dealing with a guy who's season (in a second rate competition) is over???.

i don't see what the big deal is here...who cares

Right but what I'm saying is Tuissapo supposedly introduced them. So is Teo trying to say that Tuissapo was part of the hoax? Aren't they supposed to be friends or cousins?

He said she was "around" and his cousin introduced them. In reality that's a lie, she doesn't and didn't exist.

Deadspin said they met on twitter basically. All online and over the phone. He now says he never met her in person.

Tuiasasopo's female cousin was on the phone to him I read in another story. That was part of the game.

It's impossible to believe, unless he's incredibly inexperienced and naive, that he thought this was the love of his life. For one thing, he never visited her in the hospital or even MET her in real life. So he milked this thing to a ridiculous degree, total drama queen. But unless Tuiasasopo (who is his friend from way back) bilked him out of money, I don't think he broke the law.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back