PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins is going to be expensive for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the GOAT at QB it makes sense to invest in an OL that can protect your QB's health and additionally leverage his ability. Expect the All-World scoring machine to rack 'em up again this season.

Vollmer is a FA in 2013 can we afford him? we must lock him up soon

Signing Bonus: $20 million ($4M cap allocation for each of the first five years)

Salaries:
2011: $1.5 million
2012: $3 million
2013: $6 million
2014: $6.5 million
2015: $7 million
2016: $7 million

I hope for everyone's sake that his ability doesn't erode much as he enters the last years of this deal. If Brady retires at some point during this period, we could have a guard as the most highly paid guy on the team.

On Guard: Mankins' Millions | National Football Post

You do realize that in 2014 or 2015, the Pats could cut him and save 6.5 to 7 million against the cap, right? I don't see the issue there. We've carried larger amounts of dead money from a single player..

Vollmer is a FA in 2013 can we afford him? we must lock him up soon

The "problem" with Vollmer is that he's good enough to play LT, but the Pats are probably going to keep him at RT; there will almost certainly be teams willing to pay him LT money to actually play LT.

Luckily, though, the Pats have time to figure that out.

Wasn't Mankins demanding $8 mil per year last offseason? :confused:

If his skills have eroded by 2015, he'll be cut. That's how these contracts work.

Pats Fan #1: This is great news...Mankins signed long term...really looking forward to THIS season..

Pats Fan #2: Real bad news!!!OMG did you see the bonus money in 2015!!!! Bad!!! Real real BAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!

This thread is ludicrous....

Pats Fan #1: This is great news...Mankins signed long term...really looking forward to THIS season..

Pats Fan #2: Real bad news!!!OMG did you see the bonus money in 2015!!!! Bad!!! Real real BAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!

This thread is ludicrous....

See what you want to see. I enjoy a good analytical conversation about the strategic allocation of cap money.

See what you want to see. I enjoy a good analytical conversation about the strategic allocation of cap money.

heh...you must be a real hoot on a Caribbean vacation....

...hon?...pass me the tanning lotion, will ya?..."

...no way...I'm too busy hashing out strategic allocations...get it yourself...B!TCH!!!!

Pats Fan #1: This is great news...Mankins signed long term...really looking forward to THIS season.. Pats Fan #2: Real bad news!!!OMG did you see the bonus money in 2015!!!! Bad!!! Real real BAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!! This thread is ludicrous....

What is your problem, thread not nonsensical enough? He's now the highest paid interior lineman in the league, so that could present problems down the line. What do you do if they all want to be the highest paid? I know Felger claims there is no cap, but that's just him practicing sports radio douchebaggery.

For once the usually annoying Solderking is even potentially right and Vollmer is actually a guy they could/should target for the Ty Warren early extension program (provided of course he continues to progress, isn't playing through any nagging injuries he'd be tempted to deal with surgically once he got his bonus money and he has no plans to persue his masters degree in the off season...). They could tack 4 years on his deal later this year and take advantage of amortizing his deal to the max with a single digit signing bonus in December and single digit option bonus next March. Of course it takes two and he'd have to be willing to trade the potential for a larger payday possibly as a LT in 2013 for the reality of becoming a multi-millionaire RT in 2011 who is signed until 2016...when he will be Matt Light's age. But that might appeal to him since he's already 27.

The "problem" with Vollmer is that he's good enough to play LT, but the Pats are probably going to keep him at RT; there will almost certainly be teams willing to pay him LT money to actually play LT.

Luckily, though, the Pats have time to figure that out.

if we offer a contract now or next year it would make him bite and sign:cool:

if we offer a contract now or next year it would make him bite and sign:cool:

Might and might not. They offer quite a few of them early deals. Their agents just don't like the discount. It can be substantial compared to what people project to be in line for as FA.

For once the usually annoying Solderking is even potentially right and Vollmer is actually a guy they could/should target for the Ty Warren early extension program (provided of course he continues to progress, isn't playing through any nagging injuries he'd be tempted to deal with surgically once he got his bonus money and he has no plans to persue his masters degree in the off season...). They could tack 4 years on his deal later this year and take advantage of amortizing his deal to the max with a single digit signing bonus in December and single digit option bonus next March. Of course it takes two and he'd have to be willing to trade the potential for a larger payday possibly as a LT in 2013 for the reality of becoming a multi-millionaire RT in 2011 who is signed until 2016...when he will be Matt Light's age. But that might appeal to him since he's already 27.

OK...anybody got some Advil?...I got a banging headache...if anybody is looking for me ,I'll be in the den on the oversized recliner, chugging brews and eatin' shrimp on the barbie...if anyone wants to "persue" any single digit options, just hold up a Jets banner...I got all the single digit salutes you'll ever need...:yeeha:

OK...anybody got some Advil?...I got a banging headache...if anybody is looking for me ,I'll be in the den on the oversized recliner, chugging brews and eatin' shrimp on the barbie...if anyone wants to "persue" any single digit options, just hold up a Jets banner...I got all the single digit salutes you'll ever need...:yeeha:

Football isn't just a game Joker, as the players and FO's remind us regularly it's a business.

I guess if we had the advantage of hindsight, we would have done the same deal LAST season, and most of the cap consequence of the bonus would have been lost to the "uncapped year". Again, that's with the knowledge that they'd get a CBA deal done. Unfortunately, in this case at least, the Pats don't work that way.

The way I see it, in a simplistic way, the Pats are constantly looking into the future trying to balance, as best they can, who they need to signing vs who is coming off the books. As I see it over the next 2 years Koppen and Light will be coming off the books at the same time Volmer will need to be resigned.

Other methods are accurately forecasting the expansion of revenues will help balancing an increasing cap. Like Mo said, there are plenty of ways to create cap space. I found it odd that Brandt would make a big deal about the Pats going over the cap/cash. Its surprising because so many teams do this as a matter of course. The Pats are generally keeping their cash spending pretty much in line with the cap....which for the long term is a far more effective way to consistently manage the cap year to year.

So what will be the over/under on when the Logan Mankins vs John Hannah debate begins?

Might and might not. They offer quite a few of them early deals. Their agents just don't like the discount. It can be substantial compared to what people project to be in line for as FA.

wishful thinking by me:D NFL unlike MLB has a much higher injury risk and many players imo would take the millions and cash in once so they are set for life. Others are extremely ****y and think they will never get injured and play mercenary for the highest bidder. Seabass seems like a humble and good guy maybe he is 1 of those guys that sticks b/c he likes where he is:cool:

I hope we extend him soon. Vollmer and Mayo are priority people to extend

Last edited:
So what will be the over/under on when the Logan Mankins vs John Hannah debate begins?

And day now. If Logan plays out his entire contract, it will be a WWF class debate between the two camps of fans.

Personally, I'm just greatful this team has had both of them as players.

I met Hannah a few years back. The man may have been having a bad day, but he was walking very stiffly. You take that many plays for all those years and no matter your conditioning, it will all catch up to you in later life.

And day now. If Logan plays out his entire contract, it will be a WWF class debate between the two camps of fans.

Personally, I'm just greatful this team has had both of them as players.

I met Hannah a few years back. The man may have been having a bad day, but he was walking very stiffly. You take that many plays for all those years and no matter your conditioning, it will all catch up to you in later life.

I don't know if it is just me, but that is a very small price to pay afterwards in life b/c he once lived a life of being extremely fit and an animal in the PRIME years of his life. I don't know how hold he is now, but he lived 1 hell of a life in doing what he LOVED and reaping the benefits. It is almost like making a deal w/ the devil. I would take this deal any day.

1951 birth - 1985 (final yr in NFL). 34 years PLUS of living a dream and not deteriorating. I am sure he had many good years after football

Last edited:
I don't know if it is just me, but that is a very small price to pay afterwards in life b/c you once lived a life of being extremely fit and an animal in the PRIME years of his life. I don't kno how hold he is now, but he lived 1 hell of a life in doing what he LOVED and reaping the benefits. It is almost like making a deal w/ the devil. I would take this deal any day.

You're young, that's why. Arthritis is a biatch. Alzheimers is a slow death in a living hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back