PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meghay

Rookie
Reaction score
This morning I heard on WFAN's NFL Now show with Mike Francesa that Eric Mangini is a leading candidate for the Jets job.

Thought I would pass it along.

Meghay said:
This morning I heard on WFAN's NFL Now show with Mike Francesa that Eric Mangini is a leading candidate for the Jets job.

Thought I would pass it along.

He's not ready.

Tunescribe said:
He's not ready.

Mangini's not ready? Why not. I'm thinking of throwing my hat in the ring and I haven't coached in 15 years, and that was Babe Ruth League baseball! :cool3:

Like another thread had going last week, it's the "tree effect". Any disciples of Belichick, like those of Bill Walsh in recent decades, would be considered to be ready far sooner than any other schlumps that are out there right now.

Tunescribe said:
He's not ready.

Maybe not, but I couldn't fault a club for taking a flyer on finding the Next Big Thing rather than running through the tired old list of retreads. If the Patriots keep winning, though, I wouldn't expect Mangini to be a guy teams actually wait for.

And you guys believe that Mangini will leave BB to take the JETS JOB, when he turned down Romeo and Saban when they were looking for a DC. And he turned down the Raiders when they were looking for a DC a couple of years ago. Mangini is not going anywhere near that trainwreck, IMO. Why do you think BB turned down their HC job in the first place?

If the jets do that, it's a short-sighted move - trying to strengthen their position in the AFC East by weakening ours. He has good value, but as a HC it's RIDICULOUSLY too soon. The jets are idiots.

Heard this too - again I think it would be in Mangini's best interest not to make the move until he's built the credibility - which certainly will come with time - to have complete control of the personnel in his organization... players and coaches and a say in the GM relationship

If I may also make a suggestion, it would be nice to have a descriptive title for these threads to avoid duplication

Thread titles like

"Mangini"

and

"Willie McGinest"

and

"Tom Brady"

and

"New England Patriots"

could probably benefit from being a bit more descriptive

In the back of my mind I've wondered if the reason BB hasn't named an official offensive coordinator is that at this point any Patriots coordinator is going to get mentioned for jobs elsewhere, and he wants to avoid that wherever he can.

patsox23 said:
If the jets do that, it's a short-sighted move - trying to strengthen their position in the AFC East by weakening ours. He has good value, but as a HC it's RIDICULOUSLY too soon. The jets are idiots.

I agree with this assessment. I think BB is grooming him to eventually be a head coach. That is also a good point about trying to weaken us by hiring someone who has been a part of this system. This is the reason I was so surprised that Buffalo did not make a better run at Romeo or Charlie in the last few years!

alamo said:
In the back of my mind I've wondered if the reason BB hasn't named an official offensive coordinator is that at this point any Patriots coordinator is going to get mentioned for jobs elsewhere, and he wants to avoid that wherever he can.

Don't be surprised if 27-year-old Josh McDaniels is named the HC of Buffalo next season :D.

BTW ... Josh is from Canton, Ohio.

I'm not sure about Mangini being ready to be a HC, but I think Pepper is definetely ready. Teams need to be interviewing that guy.

Fanfrom1960 said:
.... it's the "tree effect". Any disciples of Belichick, like those of Bill Walsh in recent decades, would be considered to be ready far sooner than any other schlumps that are out there right now.

Since plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery ... ever since the Phins moved heaven and earth to lure Saban, i've been worried that the div's tail-enders will simply try to bulk up with Belichick clones.

Mango to Jets would fulfill that fear nicely.

Ferentz or Hill to Buffalo could be another.

flutie2phelan said:
Since plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery ... ever since the Phins moved heaven and earth to lure Saban, i've been worried that the div's tail-enders will simply try to bulk up with Belichick clones.

Mango to Jets would fulfill that fear nicely.

Ferentz or Hill to Buffalo could be another.

Boomer Esiason just mentioned on the CBS pregame show that Eric Mangini would be at the top of the Jets list for new HC. After Damon going to the Yankees, that would suck major.

I really hope that he doesn't. That place is a snake pit right now. He would be better off waiting a year or two then getting into a better situation.

I hope that BB counsels him to that effect.

Mangini is beyond bright, he's described as brilliant. He is probably the closest to BB of anyone on the staff besides Scott. He knows why BB didn't want to remain there, he's seen how things went for Herm, he knows what the JETS face going forward and he knows Bradway will be looking to spin that off onto the coaching if it gets even worse, which it easily could.

Eric isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He knows he's the heir apparent here if he wants to wait out BB, and he knows this teams performance and profile will keep his name at the forefront over the next few seasons, so when if he wants to go he can pick an ideal situation. That's what Saban did - waited for a real good situation in which to succeed before forging into the NFL HC ranks.

Just selfishly, I obviously hope Mangini sticks around a couple years. He's still getting better as a DC, and hopefully he'll realize that his stock won't drop any after another year or two on the Patriots.

I wouldn't stop Mangini from getting a head coaching job, but on the other hand, I wouldn't allow him to interview until after the Patriots season is over ... whenever that is.

I also think this may be a way of messing with the Patriots in the middle of the playoffs.

Boomer just said that Mangini is the top candidate from the Jets point of view but he wasn't sure if Mangini would want the job. No matter what you know the Jets fans would hate the move, talking about how young he is and inexpierenced.

Well, now that his name has been brought up. I guess until he issues a statement saying that he has no interest in the HC job at the Jest, we have to think that he is.

Friggin Jest - we don't need this right now.

It's OK for me to say this because I'm not on the team and I can be unfocused :

If he were to leave, I wonder who'd replace him ?

Pepper - not sure if Belichick would give him the job yet.
Pees - isn't his contract up and Saban may be interested as he was last year.
Rob Ryan - defense struggled in Oakland but Belichick seemed to like him.
Unnamed dude - like the offense this year. It would be fun to go through that again.

My gut feeling is Mangini would wait for a better opportunity although most HC chances are with bad teams so maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference