PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini vs Pees. Interesting article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Va_Pats_Fan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/15825890.htm

New England has a veteran defense and the players apparently are responding much better this year to another first-year coordinator, Dean Pees. The big difference between Pees and Mangini is their ages. Pees, who never even coached in the NFL until 2004, is 57; Mangini was just 34 last season.

The 23-year difference, according to Patriots' veterans, shows up both in the coaches' demeanor and their confidence; they are very complimentary of Pees' leadership skills.

Felger wrote a similar article a week or two ago and everyone, of course, jumped on Josh McDaniels' age. I don't think it's an age thing, just how you go about leading your team. Pees is obviously doing a good job although he's had more to work with than Mangini did due to the injury situation last year. After McDaniels' trial year last year, Belichick clearly thinks he did OK by giving him the OC title. I think part of the difference is there's way more veterans on the defense whereas the offense is much younger.

Va_Pats_Fan said:
Interesting alright, still, Dean Pees brings more decades of coordinator experience and (I believe) Head Coach experience from High School and two college programs. He is very familiar with the defense, he's worked in it for years in college.

I believe Mangini would have developed into a decent DC in short order, but he's actually in a better situation for his talents, ably supported by some veteran coaches on his staff. You have to respect what he's done with the mess Herm left him, the trick will be communicating his needs to the personnel staff...all in all, it wouldn't surprise me if he encouraged his bubbas enough to earn a wild card berth.

With all due respect to Pees, and I like him, comparing Mangini and Pees is like apples and oranges. The article mentions the loss of Bruschi and Harrison, but fails to mention the revolving door in the secondary last year. I doubt any DC could be fairly evaluated with that going on.

Va_Pats_Fan said:

I wouldn't get too caught up in thinking the Patriots defense is any more then a bit above average. The Patriots have beat up on 4 weak teams one struggling Bengals team and the only team that is worth talking about man handled them on both sides of the ball.

The next 4-5 games (Vikings, Colts, Jets, Packers & Bears) will tell a lot about the type of team they are.

MrTibbs said:
I wouldn't get too caught up in thinking the Patriots defense is any more then a bit above average. The Patriots have beat up on 4 weak teams one struggling Bengals team and the only team that is worth talking about man handled them on both sides of the ball.
Define them how you like. The numbers say that :

The teams we've faced have scored 17.9 PPG against their other opponents and they have scored 13.3 PPG against the Patriots.

I'm not looking to be negative I'm just keeping things in perspective. I'm really looking forward to the game on Monday night. That will tell us a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST