PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett's Market Value

Just because the media touted him, does not mean teams saw him in the same light - which ended up being true considering where he fell too.

I agree that to the right team (the Browns), there's upside for trading Mallett but there are so many potential QBs coming available that almost by default his stock will be affected:

Potential first round QBs - Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, Brett Hundley

Possible discarded starters and FA's - Weeden, Gabbert, Ponder, Schaub, Vick and Freeman could all be available and whilst they've all failed are probably just as likely to appeal to a GM as much as Mallett.

You could also add Cousins and maybe even Bradford and that's potentially 12 QBs that could be competing with Mallett for a spot on a team - and that's before you even consider Derek Carr, David Fales, AJ McCarron et al.

I think when you consider the fact that he's got 3 years of development and familiarity with the system and with the coaches, that either of those guys would be interested in him. I can't see BoB trading for him because Bridgewater is simply SO good. If McD does go to Cleveland, I think he could do that. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening, but I think he's worth a 2nd.

I think when you consider the fact that he's got 3 years of development and familiarity with the system and with the coaches, that either of those guys would be interested in him. I can't see BoB trading for him because Bridgewater is simply SO good. If McD does go to Cleveland, I think he could do that. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening, but I think he's worth a 2nd.

I agree that McD and Cleveland are the best bet for a trade.

What has Mallett proven in an actual NFL game to justify a 2nd round draft pick?

If anything, Brian Hoyer has a greater market value than Mallett since he has actually won football games with the Cleveland Browns.

What has Mallett proven in an actual NFL game to justify a 2nd round draft pick?
The lack of NFL game experience is vastly overrated if McDaniels is the head coach of the team looking to acquire him. McDaniels is smart enough to have a pretty good idea of what Mallett can accomplish in a game based on what he does in practice. I mean, McDaniels has to have seen Mallett throw at least a few thousand balls in practice over the past two seasons. Also, Brian Daboll said that Mallett could have been an NFL starter based on seeing him in practice for about a month last postseason.

I also don't remotely understand why Mallett's lack of NFL game experience is held against him so much when the likely alternative is using a high pick on a draft prospect also no NFL game experience, as well as three fewer years of NFL coaching and no experience in the system.

The lack of NFL game experience is vastly overrated if McDaniels is the head coach of the team looking to acquire him. McDaniels is smart enough to have a pretty good idea of what Mallett can accomplish in a game based on what he does in practice. I mean, McDaniels has to have seen Mallett throw at least a few thousand balls in practice over the past two seasons. Also, Brian Daboll said that Mallett could have been an NFL starter based on seeing him in practice for about a month last postseason.

I also don't remotely understand why Mallett's lack of NFL game experience is held against him so much when the likely alternative is using a high pick on a draft prospect also no NFL game experience, as well as three fewer years of NFL coaching and no experience in the system.

While I understand the point, the other counterpoint to that is Mallett will only be under that team's control for 1 season, whereas a QB under a 1st round pick can be under control for up to 5 years. Would Cleveland be willing to trade a 2nd for Mallett knowing that he could bolt as a free agent next year? Would they want to lock him up to a contract now without any actual experience as a starter?

That's one of the reasons I like Manx' idea where they trade the equivalent of a late 2nd rounder, but don't actually give up any picks, and still keep 2 first rounders (one top ten) and a 2nd rounder. They'd still have tangible players to hold on to next year if Mallett does play well and walks.

While I understand the point, the other counterpoint to that is Mallett will only be under that team's control for 1 season, whereas a QB under a 1st round pick can be under control for up to 5 years. Would Cleveland be willing to trade a 2nd for Mallett knowing that he could bolt as a free agent next year? Would they want to lock him up to a contract now without any actual experience as a starter?

That's one of the reasons I like Manx' idea where they trade the equivalent of a late 2nd rounder, but don't actually give up any picks, and still keep 2 first rounders (one top ten) and a 2nd rounder. They'd still have tangible players to hold on to next year if Mallett does play well and walks.

I had said at the deadline that Mallett and a 3rd(they were asking a 2nd) to Cleveland for Gordon was a good deal for both teams. Obviously now that's not going to happen, but I agree that it's a good idea with that sort of swap. I like the flipping of the 1st's and the day 2 picks spoken about earlier.

If anything, Brian Hoyer has a greater market value than Mallett since he has actually won football games with the Cleveland Browns.

You could say the same thing about ANY of the draft picks in this upcoming draft. McDaniels or BoB has seen Mallett for years(or atleast a year) in practice every single day. They've got to work with him and see what he does well and any improvement.

I think Cleveland is even more likely, with the Lombardi connection.

I had said at the deadline that Mallett and a 3rd(they were asking a 2nd) to Cleveland for Gordon was a good deal for both teams. Obviously now that's not going to happen, but I agree that it's a good idea with that sort of swap. I like the flipping of the 1st's and the day 2 picks spoken about earlier.

You could say the same thing about ANY of the draft picks in this upcoming draft. McDaniels or BoB has seen Mallett for years(or atleast a year) in practice every single day. They've got to work with him and see what he does well and any improvement.

I think Cleveland is even more likely, with the Lombardi connection.
How is Mallett and a 3rd for Gordon a good deal for the Browns? Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon are the two skill position players worth a damn on the Browns roster. It makes no sense for the Browns to make that trade (IMO).

I don't expect Mallett to be traded. People need to pump the brakes on this Lombardi-Belichick thing.

How is Mallett and a 3rd for Gordon a good deal for the Browns? Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon are the two skill position players worth a damn on the Browns roster. It makes no sense for the Browns to make that trade (IMO).

We established this last year as the #6 pick in the draft, no? :D

Good news everyone! Ryan Mallett's value has been upgraded to the #4 pick in the draft plus a late round selection. Clowney here we come!

ThePigskinReport.com. Thanks to Brady6 for the link in the main board.

:rofl:

Good news everyone! Ryan Mallett's value has been upgraded to the #4 pick in the draft plus a late round selection. Clowney here we come!

ThePigskinReport.com. Thanks to Brady6 for the link in the main board.

:rofl:

Yeah this guy is clueless. Would take that deal in a heartbeat.

I don't expect Mallett to be traded. People need to pump the brakes on this Lombardi-Belichick thing.

I said that deal at the deadline though, keep that in mind. That's before Gordon blew up the way he did and he was just coming off of a suspension. I don't think it's so much the Lombardi connection, I think it's more the McD going to Cleveland. I think one of the old coaches is going to want him.

I see no reason he isn't worth a #2. Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Carr will be gone. Who else are you going to get after that with Mallett's arm, upside, understanding of the NFL and experience of being in the QB with Brady for 3 years and seeing what it takes to be an NFL QB ?

The downside is he only has a year left so he'll need an upgraded contract sooner than a #2 pick but I'd take Mallett today over, say, Tajh Boyd or AJ McCarron if I were a team needing a starting QB.

I see no reason he isn't worth a #2. Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Carr will be gone. Who else are you going to get after that with Mallett's arm, upside, understanding of the NFL and experience of being in the QB with Brady for 3 years and seeing what it takes to be an NFL QB ?

The downside is he only has a year left so he'll need an upgraded contract sooner than a #2 pick but I'd take Mallett today over, say, Tajh Boyd or AJ McCarron if I were a team needing a starting QB.

Did Bengals just join the Clubs in need of a QB last night?

Did Bengals just join the Clubs in need of a QB last night?
They'd better think about it, Dalton is entering the last year of his contract. So they either need to bring someone in this offseason or plan on giving him a ton of money and I wouldn't do the latter.

Interestingly when they drafted Dalton they were deciding between him and Mallett but went with Dalton due to the concerns about Mallett's personality and behavior. I'd prefer Mallett to Dalton.

They'd better think about it, Dalton is entering the last year of his contract. So they either need to bring someone in this offseason or plan on giving him a ton of money and I wouldn't do the latter.

Interestingly when they drafted Dalton they were deciding between him and Mallett but went with Dalton due to the concerns about Mallett's personality and behavior. I'd prefer Mallett to Dalton.

This an interesting take and an interesting scenario with the Bengals. Bringing in a QB to challenge Dalton seems like a smart move for the Bengals and short of drafting McCarron higher than most think he will go the top flight QB's should be gone. If the Bengals were interested in him then they should be more interested now because he has spent three years learning to be a pro QB and the character questions should be completely erased. I could see them making a draft day trade for him, and they could probably get Mallett to go for a short term deal that would give him a chance to compete for a starting job but still get to free agency while he is in his twenties. While teams like Cleveland may be completely unwilling to give a high second for Mallett I think Cincy may well go for the deal as it would only cost them a late second, the real question there is whether NE would go for it, however if they threw in a fourth I think Belichick would do it. Cincy would get a QB who could compete with Dalton from day one and the Patriots would be able to stock up on draft picks once again, which is the draft position of strength Belichick always wants to operate from.

Mallet doesnt work for the Bengals. They will probbaly go after a 2nd/3rd round guy to push Dalton or who can take over if they chose to let Dalton walk

Mallet doesnt work for the Bengals. They will probbaly go after a 2nd/3rd round guy to push Dalton or who can take over if they chose to let Dalton walk

Why wouldn't Mallett work for the Bengals?

Hope Patriots makeing sure that posibel trade partners, knowing if they wanna trade for Mallett, then its done before the draft and not in the middle of it.... Simply take it or leave.

Would chance the way Patriots gonna draft and would also remove ALL doubts about the value.

Why wouldn't Mallett work for the Bengals?
meatface seemed tgo describe exactly why Mallett would work for the Bengals.

2nd/3rd round ? That's what Mallett would cost.
Guy to push Dalton ? Mallett is ready to go, not some college kid.
Can take over if they let Dalton work ? Same answer as above.

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 5m
O'Brien likes big QBs. I could see #Texans trying to trade w #Patriots for Ryan Mallett, going diff direction in draft

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 5m
O'Brien likes big QBs. I could see #Texans trying to trade w #Patriots for Ryan Mallett, going diff direction in draft

Good to hear but it won't be their first. If they could get Houston's 2nd I would take it in a heartbeat. And i wouldn't be surprised at all if they then traded their first on draft day for extra picks and used Houston's 2nd as their first real pick.

I would not trade Mallett for their 3rd, they have put too much time into him to get that little gain in return.

If MacDaniel's takes the Cleveland job there is a real possibility they could have two teams seriously interested in taking Mallett, and Cleveland would have the upper hand due to the number of picks they have to play with. i could see either of those coaches wanting to make Mallett their long term answer at QB.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back