PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett's Market Value

Remember the thread about how Brian Hoyer was easily worth a 2nd rounder?:rolleyes:

rinse-lather-repeat

Hell, I remember the threads where Rohan Davey was worth a second rounder.

Remember the thread about how Brian Hoyer was easily worth a 2nd rounder?:rolleyes:

rinse-lather-repeat
Last year Mallett was worth the 6th pick overall in the draft.

:bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

For those who thought a trade - Mallett to Cleveland, can forget it.

Kyle Shanahan is the new Offensive Coordinator in Cleveland.
Redskins have named RGIII the starter for next year. Based upon this Kurt Cousins is reported to have scheduled a meeting with management to discuss being traded.

For those who thought a trade - Mallett to Cleveland, can forget it.

Kyle Shanahan is the new Offensive Coordinator in Cleveland.
Redskins have named RGIII the starter for next year. Based upon this Kurt Cousins is reported to have scheduled a meeting with management to discuss being traded.
His best fit is in Houston, may be his only fit

Just a quick thought. There's a bit of a logjam of underwhelming QBs at the Raiders. Considering McDaniels' interest in Tebow and BB's interest in big athletic guys, could a Mallett for Terrelle Pryor plus pick make sense as a trade? Pryor could be interesting as an offensive weapon and I'm starting to give up on the idea of a high draft pick for Mallett so some upside talent as a return makes sense.

One thing legislating against this. Unlike Tebow, Pryor ran a bad 3cone at his pro day.

Just a quick thought. There's a bit of a logjam of underwhelming QBs at the Raiders. Considering McDaniels' interest in Tebow and BB's interest in big athletic guys, could a Mallett for Terrelle Pryor plus pick make sense as a trade? Pryor could be interesting as an offensive weapon and I'm starting to give up on the idea of a high draft pick for Mallett so some upside talent as a return makes sense.

One thing legislating against this. Unlike Tebow, Pryor ran a bad 3cone at his pro day.

Is a 3-cone relevant when discussing qb's? I don't think Mallett has any trade value at this point. Sucks, because I've always thought he was better than Gabbert, Locker and Ponder who went in the 1st and all stink. But, he's never gotten a chance to show what he can do. Let's ride out the year. Hope TFB doesn't get hurt. If he does and Mallett plays well. Then, you can tag and trade him a la Cassel.

Is a 3-cone relevant when discussing qb's? I don't think Mallett has any trade value at this point. Sucks, because I've always thought he was better than Gabbert, Locker and Ponder who went in the 1st and all stink. But, he's never gotten a chance to show what he can do. Let's ride out the year. Hope TFB doesn't get hurt. If he does and Mallett plays well. Then, you can tag and trade him a la Cassel.

I don't know but the fact was that they signed Tebow, he had a fantastic 3cone and BB clearly values a good 3cone. That's the only reason I made that point.

Highly doubt a second rounder is going to happen. Why trade for Mallett when you can get Kirk Cousins for a 2nd rounder? I'm not sure that KC is better but he does have actual game tape in regular season games. Some of it is pretty darn good too. Mallett has what? A couple of preseason games.

I guess if Obrien really likes Mallett it could happen but after I heard the news today that Cousins is open to a trade it's looking bleaker by the second.

Highly doubt a second rounder is going to happen. Why trade for Mallett when you can get Kirk Cousins for a 2nd rounder? I'm not sure that KC is better but he does have actual game tape in regular season games. Some of it is pretty darn good too. Mallett has what? A couple of preseason games.

I guess if Obrien really likes Mallett it could happen but after I heard the news today that Cousins is open to a trade it's looking bleaker by the second.

Another possibility is that Kyle Shanahan might want to get Cousins since he's now the OC in Cleveland.

I actually really like Cousins and think he is a genuine starter in the NFL. I actually think he is a better NFL QB than RG3. The one thing Mallett does have going for him vs Cousins is they are very different QB's and Mallett will fit some systems better. I think Houston really is the only option for a Mallett trade because BOB is already familiar with him and Mallett seems to fit O'Brien's scheme better than Cousins would. If I were a QB needy team this offseason though, Cousins would be the guy I target.

Why would the Redskins trade Cousins? Have you guys been paying attention the last two years? If RG3 goes down to injury(likely) or just poops the bed again as a starter(even more likely) they would be S.O.O.L.

If we're specifically talking about the Texans, then O'Brien (HC) and Godsey (QB coach) have seen a ton more from Mallett than they have from Cousins. I know game reps are more helpful than practice ones, but if its a choice between two guys of which you've seen either 200 game passes or 2000 practice passes, I'd rather have the latter.

The best value for Mallett granted he hasn't done or shown anything is that Houston 3rd Round Selection which is at the Top of the 3rd. Thats a steal if you ask me and thats "IF" O'Brien think he's worth it. All the Malltett Secound Round Selection talk is all garbage...Kirk Cousins could easily fetch a Second for the Dead-Skins he has actually played in and won real NFL Games.

If we're specifically talking about the Texans, then O'Brien (HC) and Godsey (QB coach) have seen a ton more from Mallett than they have from Cousins. I know game reps are more helpful than practice ones, but if its a choice between two guys of which you've seen either 200 game passes or 2000 practice passes, I'd rather have the latter.

Sciz the few times I have seen Mallett in preaseason he looked Worse than Beldsoe in the pocket thats not a ringing endorsement. If I had to choose between the two like the other 99 GM's Cousins over Mallett everytime.

Sciz the few times I have seen Mallett in preaseason he looked Worse than Beldsoe in the pocket thats not a ringing endorsement. If I had to choose between the two like the other 99 GM's Cousins over Mallett everytime.
Perhaps because the goal in the preseason isn't to show players off. It's to make them better. There was no game planning, no showing off his arm, no trying to hide his weaknesses. They made him drop back and throw short touch passes, exactly the type of thing that everybody in the NFL knows he struggled with coming out of college and probably always will.

And I'm not exactly sure why you responded to my post about O'Brien and Godsey seeing thousands of Mallett's throws by saying how you didn't like what you saw in the 200 preseason throws he's attempted in three years. They've got so much more of an idea of what he's capable of. That was exactly my point.

I would be interested if Bill O'Brien has interest in Mallet

For BOB it couldn't work out better. He can get a QB with first round talent PLUS 3 years of experience in an NFL system on the relative cheap, and still have a reasonable shot a Clowney, whose draft status as dropped a bit, after a very underachieving season. The thing is that while there are still questions about Mallett, there are just as many about each of the top QB prospects coming out. Given all that, why NOT take the guy who has been in the NFL for 3 years. But the Texas can get that great basket of picks and still stay in the top 5 where Clowney is likely to go.

Well PFK, I hope it turns out this way. I mean I like Mallet's physical skills and size, but let's face it, Brady isn't going away for at least another 3 seasons. I'd rather trade Mallet while his value is high, and draft an underrated QB with a mid-round pick to groom for later.

With that early 2nd round pick we get for Mallet, we could either draft the best available DB or DT. Or if a guy like Ebron or ASJ drops there, I think we pull the trigger with that early 2nd.

The best value for Mallett granted he hasn't done or shown anything is that Houston 3rd Round Selection which is at the Top of the 3rd. Thats a steal if you ask me and thats "IF" O'Brien think he's worth it. All the Malltett Secound Round Selection talk is all garbage...Kirk Cousins could easily fetch a Second for the Dead-Skins he has actually played in and won real NFL Games.

Cassel was taken with a 7th round pick and he still netted us the #33 pick. Mallet was taken with a 3rd round pick and would have gone earlier if it weren't for 'character' question marks. I think he has answered the character questions by sticking with the Pats this long. Mallet has a much higher draft pedigree and better physical gifts than Cassel ever had.

I don't doubt that he's worth a 2nd round pick considering his maturation in the Pats system. I'm glad that message board posters don't GM our team and I have confidence that BB will squeeze as much value as he can out of a Mallet trade, if it happens. :)

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back