PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett's Market Value

Cassel had a full year of starting uder his blet when we traded him, and don't forget that the Pats traded both Cassel and Vrabel for pick #33!

that being said, I wouldn't trade Mallett for less than a second round pick. Why give up a more than capable back QB, for a thrid round pick?

Cassel had a full year of starting uder his blet when we traded him, and don't forget that the Pats traded both Cassel and Vrabel for pick #33!

that being said, I wouldn't trade Mallett for less than a second round pick. Why give up a more than capable back QB, for a thrid round pick?

Vrabel was a cap casualty though.

Can people stop talking about Mallett being traded. I stated last year around this time that Mallett would not be traded, and keep that stance today. Here are a few reasons why I don't see a Mallett trade happen.

1: The backup QB position is probably the most important backup position on the team. If Brady goes down week 1 with an injury that will take 8 weeks to heal. Who would you rather have? Mallett who could probably win 4 to 6 of those games, or a rookie with no experience in the system and losses 5 to 8 of those games. Those games could be the difference between battling for a bye week, or battling to make the playoffs. Now if the pats have a crystal ball that says Brady won't get hurt at all, then I'm all for trading Mallett.

2: The Patriots did not develop a QB3 behind Mallett last year. This could be because no prospects looked good, or they never intended to let Mallett go this year. So I expect to see Mallett this year with a rookie QB playing the #3 spot on the depth chart.

3: With Cassell voiding his contract, the new flavor of the day is trading Mallett and bringing back Cassell. I would love to have Cassell back and make the trade, but the cap cost would be too much. BB has faith in Mallett who takes up very little space. Replacing Mallett with Cassell, could prevent signing a key veteran FA.

Now if BB gets an offer he can't refuse, like the #33 pick from the Texans, I wouldn't bash an eye at that trade. But there is no way BB deals Mallett for some mid round pick, who probably won't even contribute this year, just because Mallett will be a FA next year.

Now if BB gets an offer he can't refuse, like the #33 pick from the Texans, I wouldn't bash an eye at that trade.

Please don't bash your eye over any trade, that sounds painful indeed.

As for the discussion being had, the entire idea is that it's only doable if good value is returned to the Patriots.

CapsPats Should Trade
Please don't bash your eye over any trade, that sounds painful indeed.

As for the discussion being had, the entire idea is that it's only doable if good value is returned to the Patriots.

Haha. Yeah Didn't ThInk That One Through.

I Said I Have No Issue With Mallett Being Moved If The Price Is Right. I Thought The OP Had The Right Idea. My Post Was More Directed Towards Those Who Think The Pats Should Trade Mallet Just Becaus He Is In His Final Year.My Phone Is Putting Caps On Everything I Type.

Mallett to the Vikings rumored.

I believe the article is pure speculation on behalf of a Vikings ESPN writer.

Ryan Mallett and the Minnesota Vikings - Daily Norseman

News Blitz 2/13: Could Ryan Mallett be a trade target for the Vikings?

I would want their second round draft pick (#40 overall) or higher, otherwise it is not worth making the deal in my opinion. A third round pick is not worth trading Mallett, we can use him as our backup in 2014 and then let him walk and net some type of compensatory pick.

Mallett to the Vikings rumored.

I believe the article is pure speculation on behalf of a Vikings ESPN writer.

Ryan Mallett and the Minnesota Vikings - Daily Norseman

News Blitz 2/13: Could Ryan Mallett be a trade target for the Vikings?

I would want their second round draft pick (#40 overall) or higher, otherwise it is not worth making the deal in my opinion. A third round pick is not worth trading Mallett, we can use him as our backup in 2014 and then let him walk and net some type of compensatory pick.

Reality is i don't think the pats would make a move unless it's for a 2nd rounder.

Will teams pay that? possibly but probably not. He's more valuable to us in his last year then a trade for anything less than a high 3rd min.

I don't understand this obsession about trading him. He has shown nothing in the pre-season or anywhere else; why would anyone give up a him pick for him? This would be a bad trade for the Patriots; if they trade him, it would make more sense to do so after he has displayed some talent.

Reality is i don't think the pats would make a move unless it's for a 2nd rounder.

Will teams pay that? possibly but probably not. He's more valuable to us in his last year then a trade for anything less than a high 3rd min.

You're probably right, Bill would probably want a seconder rounder but his value is probably more like a fourth round pick which is why he will probably be with us again this year.

You're probably right, Bill would probably want a seconder rounder but his value is probably more like a fourth round pick which is why he will probably be with us again this year.

Mallett has 3 years in the league and has not only shown he can learn the patriots system and stick as Brady's back-up but has also dispelled the character concerns that caused him to drop to the 3rd round. They wouldn't consider trading him for less than they used to get him and i doubt they would take anything less than a high 2nd for him. I would trade him for a top 45 pick but nothing less than that.

Mallett has 3 years in the league and has not only shown he can learn the patriots system and stick as Brady's back-up but has also dispelled the character concerns that caused him to drop to the 3rd round. They wouldn't consider trading him for less than they used to get him and i doubt they would take anything less than a high 2nd for him. I would trade him for a top 45 pick but nothing less than that.

I don't think it's quite that simple.

The Patriots have already gotten some value from Mallett, since they only had to spend ~$500K per year for the last two years on a backup for Brady.

The real question, I think, is which of the following is more valuable:

(1) A year of Mallett's services, or
(2) Whatever they can get for Mallett in terms of draft picks minus the uncertainty of figuring out how to replace him and the cost of his replacement.*

If a team offered, say, a 2014 4/5 for Mallett plus a high conditional pick in 2015 (e.g., a 3 that could go to a 1 if they made the playoffs), I think BB would do that deal.

*This is why I think if they replace Mallett, it'll be with a rookie. Otherwise, you're trading Mallett for a pick + in all likelihood an extra $1M/yr+ in cap hit.

Why are we so sure that, if not traded, Mallett is a goner after this upcoming season? If Bill O'Brien doesn't value him enough to meet the Pats asking price, the Patriots should look to extend his contract. Mallett turns 26 in June; he'll be 29 when Brady's contract ends. Maybe, the best use of some of the money Brady left on the table is to pay Mallett 1st round draft pick like money to be a capable backup for an aging QB and his possible successor.

Why are we so sure that, if not traded, Mallett is a goner after this upcoming season? If Bill O'Brien doesn't value him enough to meet the Pats asking price, the Patriots should look to extend his contract. Mallett turns 26 in June; he'll be 29 when Brady's contract ends. Maybe, the best use of some of the money Brady left on the table is to pay Mallett 1st round draft pick like money to be a capable backup for an aging QB and his possible successor.

Here's the way I see it: Any backup QB who is willing to "wait until Brady retires" should not be the person replacing Brady. If the Patriots think there is any reasonable chance that Brady will play beyond his current contract, extending Mallett should be a non-starter.

If Mallett actually thinks he can kick Brady to the curb in the next couple of years, though, that's a different matter altogether.

I just cant see the Pats getting more than a 4th round pick for mallet

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back