PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3-4 and attacking the C – the what to do when your not making your latest roster projection edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have mentioned several times, I have found that the fact the Pats have been predominately in a basic 3-4 alignment for the entire pre-season is extremely interesting as well as very puzzling. It’s not historically puzzling since BB was in the forefront of establishing the 3-4 as the go to alignment well over a decade ago. What’s puzzling is that the current roster has virtually none the front seven skill sets you’d normally expect to find in a BB 3-4. Only Vince and Hightower seem to fit the mold, but the rest of the front 7 roster just screams 4-3; especially now that the ONLY player who fit the 3-4 DE mold has been released.

We’ve come to recognize over the years, BB does nothing without a purpose. So after almost 6 weeks of seeing the 3-4, this is NOT just BB trying faking out his opponents. There is clearly a method to this seeming madness. This thread will be my attempt to explain the dichotomy.

1. Let’s start with the notion that not all 3-4’s are the same. In the past, the 3-4 that BB ran was based on 2 gaping defensive linemen, a plethora of big strong LB’s, and a secondary predominantly playing ZONE principals

But there are other 3-4 schemes and principals. **** LeBeau has been at the forefront of the 3-4 for just as long as BB, but his 3-4 was vastly different. His was a 3-4 that often one gapped his linemen, and strongly believed in an aggressive zone blitz scheme. Rex Ryan also runs a 3-4 as a base, but uses many of his father’s 4-6 principals in its execution.

So when you break down who we are likely to have playing and the vastly changed environment in which they are playing in, what is BB thinking?

2. There has been a lot of talk this season about the C position. This got me thinking about how hard a position it is to play. Beyond the issues of having to make line calls, we take for granted that the C has to snap the ball, an act that leaves him a step behind the rest of the OL in defending against a direct attack by the DL. He is especially vulnerable when he has to shotgun snap, which is about 50% of the time these days. Think about it. At the same time the rest of the OL have extended their arms to protect against the attacking D, the C has one arm fully extended between his legs with all his momentum going backwards.

When most teams played a 4-3 this wasn’t a problem as the C was uncovered and not susceptible to immediate attack. If this was 1975 a C with Ryan Wendell’s skill set would have been an all pro. Now because most teams attack the C directly, and undersized guy like Wendell has become a marginal player.

So here we are. BB is faced with a roster filled with experienced 4-3 players, yet he still wants to take advantage of 3 things a 3-4 alignment allows. First, it better allows you to disguise your pass rush. This is key given all the rules changes that make it virtually impossible to defend the pass when a QB has time and can make the right read. The sad fact is that the only way to stop a good offense today is to have them stop themselves with mistakes. Secondly, it’s traditionally stronger against the run, and finally and most importantly, it allows you to attack the C directly.

I originally thought that a big part of the reason BB moved to a 4-3 was to get 2 immediate defenders to create push up the middle. In today’s game where teams routinely pass 67% of the time, getting immediate pressure is critical. Chicks may dig the edge rushers, but its push up the middle that is the key to an effective pass rush. They may not get the sacks, but they are the ones who get the QB off is “spot”. They are the ones to force QB’s to change their arm angle, and thus create inaccuracy. They are the ones who make the QB uncomfortable and more likely to make a quick throw into tight coverage.

So what we are seeing (actually not seeing… yet), is BB setting the stage for a D that is able to immediately attack the OL at its weakest point, but with the idea of still being able to attack the middle of the OL with at least 2 immediate defenders, and thus get that “middle push” defenses so desperately try to create.

3. Side benefits of this strategy are the following:

a. The Pats have 3 LB’s who are have above average skills. In a 4-3 at least one of them would be off the field most of the time. In a 3-4 it’s more likely that 3 of them will be on the field almost all the time since 2 are good in coverage, 2 can rush the passer. And all seem to be good in run protection. So we can still have 5 DB’s on the field most of the time, and not have one of our better defenders on the sidelines.

b. In a 3-4 he X’s and O’s possibilities for a team with players who have great position flexibility is endless. And complete falls in synch for a coach whose philosophy is to create a different defensive game plan week to week.

Summary – at first I thought the 3-4 we were seeing in TC was a means to teach the basic fundamental techniques of Patriot defense. Then a few weeks later, I thought it was just a feint in preparation for the regular season. But after almost a full TC of virtually nothing but seeing a 3-4, I’m convinced for all the reasons above, that THIS is what we are going to see as our base.

That being said, I want to be clear that the 2014 version of the Pats 3-4 is going to look a LOT more like we’ve seen from the Steeler’s Jets, and Raven’s than the read and react, 2 gap version that worked so well for us in the early 2000’s

I for one will look forward to seeing all the permutations and iterations that will be created by our own resident rocket scientist. BTW- as I wrote this so many other thoughts pertaining to this topic came to mind, but in the interest of not trying the patience of my fellow Pats fans too much, I hope that most of them come out later as the discussion grows (which assumes I will remember any of them an hour from now. :) )

C’mon Ian we really need a "chalkboard forum". ;)

On this subject (of the chalkboard forum, which would be used to teach and to learn), recently I was thinking about the various reasons posters come to this forum.

Everyone I assume enjoys the sense of community of Patriots fans, being a fan is more fun while being around other fans, whether it is at a game, at a bar, or on this forum (virtually).

Many like to debate (respectfully) or argue (not so respectfully).

A few purposely try to get attention by saying outrageous things (I have learned that these are called trolls).

Some like to amuse with humor -or with a joke(r)- or wry observations on life.

Some come to learn, as students of the game.

Finally, there are a few who not only have the knowledge, but the communication ability (including an ability to listen), and the self-awareness to excel as a teacher.

I guess a football teacher is called a coach, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that a former coach like Ken is such a good teacher on the subject of Patriots football. This thread is one of many that are extremely illuminating.

Thanks for being such a good teacher of the game Ken, fortunately your thoughts are anything but idle. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft