PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Signs His Tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mouths of the NFC South are watering right now, if Saints do go and get Butler that is some serious mismatches vs these division teams. If anyone should be going after Sherman, it should be the Saints since **** Sherman has size and won't get beat deep nearly as much as Butler. Remember folks, these WR's in the NFC South aren't some slap **** 6'5 WR, these guys are legit and while they are big, they also play even bigger.
Larger, quality WRs wll always have an advantage of sorts against smaller DBs such as Butler. But, the suggestion that any receivers are salivating at the prospect of competing against a guy with Butler's abilities, drive and grit is silly. And suggesting that any team in the NFC South scares any quality team ****less is sillier. Respect? Sure. Afraid? No.

Never bought the idea that we were serious about trading Butler, we'll see if I'm right. Makes no sense to unload a key defensive player when you're going for the gold, especially not for goddamned draft picks. Is there any asset in this league more overrated than low firsts? BB couldn't "sell high" fast enough, and you think he's gonna turn around and buy high too? Not seeing it. He's gonna buy low and sell high, it's what he's always done. Buying picks in this draft for established in-his-prime top 10 cornerback talent is NOT buying low. Trading low firsts for premium wideouts that will make your elite but aging quarterback better than he already is is selling high though.

Trading from a position of strength to shore up other needs on the roster, or trading to switch up skillsets from a bad fit to a good fit in a given position, that's one thing. Swapping out a top 10 CB for draft picks is something you do when you're 3 years or more away from winning the Superbowl. We're trying to win the damn thing this year. Keep the guy and win with him.

You are trading one year of Butler for a first round pick that is under cost control for 4-5 years or can be traded down into multiple lower picks in a very deep draft.

You gotta keep the pipeline going otherwise at some point you will have a hole at multiple positions which causes a cycle of overpaying FAs to plug them and pressure to draft specific positions which makes busts even harder to swallow.

I am not convinced that #21 will be wearing a Pats Uniform in September.. He had little choice, the MB to do list:
1. Hire an agent who understands how to negotiate with NFL billionaires
2. Get a good insurance policy in case he is injured and can no longer play

You mean like taking an undrafted free agent who was working at Popeye's and turning him into a first round pick before he becomes expensive?

That kind of buy low/sell high? ;)
Lol, I read the post and was thinking the same thing. I can't imagine any more incredible "buy low, sell high" scenario.

Lol, I read the post and was thinking the same thing. I can't imagine any more incredible "buy low, sell high" scenario.
Other than using that undrafted asset to play its role on the team and getting another Lombardi out of it?

I dunno, call me nuts but one Butler's worth of additional opportunity to win the Lombardi is worth more than a low first to me. Pipeline me no pipelines, BB can keep the pipeline going without wasting active assets on low first round picks. Hell, how many of our key players in the last 2 Superbowls either were low round picks or weren't drafted at all, including Butler? If you cound "high picks" as second round or better, the list is as long as my arm.

High firsts are one thing. A shot at exclusive first round talent is always worth taking a poke at. Low firsts might as well be seconds, you wouldn't trade borderline elite talent for a second? Don't trade it for a low first.

Back in Foxboro doesn't necessarily mean that he will participate in workouts. He had to come here to sign his tender anyway. I guess if he had a real agent that could have been done anywhere but I doubt his excuse for an agent has people who would come to NE, pick up the contract, bring it to Butler and then bring it back to NE.

Sorry, but that was Curran's implication.. And no, he doesn't have to come to Foxboro to sign the tender. It can be done via his agent's office..

As talented as Butler is, the fact is he is undersized and he would see Julio Jones (6'3), Mike Evans (6'5), and Kelvin Benjamin (6'5) 2 times each season if traded to New Orleans. I'm not saying he won't improve the Saints; they are so bad he most definitely will but it's something to think about considering the price and the picks they would have to give up.

You're making an assumption that Butler would be put on them. Though Butler was on Julio Jones (6'3) during the SB and that worked pretty well.

I prefer Gilmore or Rowe on Julio strength vs strength take out the size advantage Julio has.

Sorry, but that was Curran's implication.. And no, he doesn't have to come to Foxboro to sign the tender. It can be done via his agent's office..

So he came here for some Papa Gino's ?

Other than using that undrafted asset to play its role on the team and getting another Lombardi out of it?

I dunno, call me nuts but one Butler's worth of additional opportunity to win the Lombardi is worth more than a low first to me. Pipeline me no pipelines, BB can keep the pipeline going without wasting active assets on low first round picks. Hell, how many of our key players in the last 2 Superbowls either were low round picks or weren't drafted at all, including Butler? If you cound "high picks" as second round or better, the list is as long as my arm.

High firsts are one thing. A shot at exclusive first round talent is always worth taking a poke at. Low firsts might as well be seconds, you wouldn't trade borderline elite talent for a second? Don't trade it for a low first.

Given the state of our secondary you are overestimating the effect Butler would have in terms of the overall play there. Would he help ? Sure. Will the secondary be substantially worse without him ? Nah.

Sorry, but I just disagree. BB has never been about winning a Lombardi THIS YEAR RIGHT NOW but instead about the continuous health and success of the team. One year of a great player who may or may not be disgruntled at this point, vs. 4 years of another hopefully good player (with a fifth year option) at a relatively cheap price tag. In most cases, Bill would rather have control of a good player on the cheap for 5 years over control of a great player for 1 year. That's one of the reasons why the Patriots are as successful as they are: depth.

So he came here for some Papa Gino's ?

You're the one claiming that Giardi is right and that Butler flew up to Boston just to sign a contract.. Something that could have just been done from his agent's office if he wasn't planning on attending the Voluntary Workouts.. So, you're the one who should be giving an alternate reason for Butler showing up. Not myself..

I'd rather have butler this year for cheap and he walks for a 3rd round pick in 2018 than have the 32 this year and hope the guy I pick turns out half as good as him 3 years down the line. The only other sceneario I would be ok with that trade is if you're immediately flipping that to Seattle to get Richard Sherman. Now you've just upgraded you're top two corners for the next 2 seasons

I'd rather have butler this year for cheap and he walks for a 3rd round pick in 2018 than have the 32 this year and hope the guy I pick turns out half as good as him 3 years down the line. The only other sceneario I would be ok with that trade is if you're immediately flipping that to Seattle to get Richard Sherman. Now you've just upgraded you're top two corners for the next 2 seasons
You aren't guaranteed a 3. We will have a lot if cap room so we may well sign a player that negates the comp pick

Right now I have the feeling that Butler will stay. He has tested out the market, ie visiting Saints. But he probably realizes his best shot at making big money is play it out, win another ring. And when he hits free agency he can easily demand 13m+ per year on a big 5 or 6 year deal.

I'm ok with forgoing a late 1st on Butler if it wins us another Superbowl title in the short term. On paper -- Gilmore, Butler, Rowe, Dmac, Chung make up an elite NFL secondary.

Much rather have 1 yr of a known commodity than potentially 4 years of an unknown commodity picked at #32

Much rather have 1 yr of a known commodity than potentially 4 years of an unknown commodity picked at #32
Although I don't necessarily agree, I get what you and @Simpelton are saying. You should factor in the potential for the 5th year option, though.

Bottom line is that @Ross12 is spot on. This is simply part of the team building philosophy that Belichick manipulates so well, particularly if he doesn't feel as though an extension is in play.

One can wonder if a Butler trade followed by a Jason McCourty signing to replace him is in the works.

You're making an assumption that Butler would be put on them. Though Butler was on Julio Jones (6'3) during the SB and that worked pretty well.

I thought it was Taylor Gabriel with Butler (ont he bomb, it was), and Rowe had Julio (it was Rowe, in perfect position) when Ryan-Jones made that incredible play in the fourth).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe