PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MAJOR props to the New England defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoney_33

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The defense played tremendous today, aside from the early tackling troubles. It was obvious that the pass was more of a concern than the run and Addai was going to get his yards, so some of that is justified based on game plan. But there were some really bad tackling issues in the first half today.

Aside from that botched, everyone-run-into-each-other Addai TD to end the half, the defense didn't allow much. The Colts twice got ref help to get them to the 5 and came away with 3 points both times. The defense couldn't quite put the clamps on after the Bracket INT. But also remember this is a GREAT Colts offense (even without Marvin). 6 gift points, 7 on horrible tackling and 7 on a good drive on a short field by the colts.

Have a great week off, heal up, eat some humble pie, and be ready to roll in 2 weeks!

Last edited:
Re: MAJOR props the New England defense

Giants vs Bills?;)

The D took a lot of heat in the game thread. Fred and Tim Fox tonight said what I did in the game thread. A lot of the trouble tonight was due to scheme. 4 and 5 players at a time were playing out of position to accommodate what Bill decided they needed to do to stop Manning. Absent Harrison that was perhaps unnecessary, but Bill is nothing if not stubborn...

I was reminded of the story of how he convinced befuddled Giants players entering a superbowl that if they gave up 100 yards on the ground they would win the championship. It was really the YAC on a 2 yard dump pass to Addai that was the unintended consequence. But again, guys were out of position still covering guys well or covering guys who Manning couldn't trust or getting screwed by zebras. I don't think Bill factored in the zebras, although he should know better by now.

Red zone D was brass balls. And in the last 10 minutes of the game the were like bowling ball sized brass balls. That's why Bill was so happy as time expired. They did what he told them to do even though it's not their comfort zone, and stepped big in spite of it when it mattered most.

The key to this game was the D holding the Colts to field goals after the refs gave them the ball twice on the Pats 5 yard line with those BS calls.

That was huge. You are right they do deserve major props for standing strong even when the refs were screwing them.

This was the best offense the Pats have faced,They should be even better the 2nd time around should they meet again

The D took a lot of heat in the game thread. Fred and Tim Fox tonight said what I did in the game thread. A lot of the trouble tonight was due to scheme. 4 and 5 players at a time were playing out of position to accommodate what Bill decided they needed to do to stop Manning. Absent Harrison that was perhaps unnecessary, but Bill is nothing if not stubborn...

I was reminded of the story of how he convinced befuddled Giants players entering a superbowl that if they gave up 100 yards on the ground they would win the championship. It was really the YAC on a 2 yard dump pass to Addai that was the unintended consequence. But again, guys were out of position still covering guys well or covering guys who Manning couldn't trust or getting screwed by zebras. I don't think Bill factored in the zebras, although he should know better by now.

Red zone D was brass balls. And in the last 10 minutes of the game the were like bowling ball sized brass balls. That's why Bill was so happy as time expired. They did what he told them to do even though it's not their comfort zone, and stepped big in spite of it when it mattered most.

Good post. It was a very different scheme today and it seemed like the scheme was made to stop the pass but to do that it would allow some runs. That Addai TD was also about players having brain-farts, possibly from being out of position and comfort zone. Rodney pushed Gay down, Vrabel ran over Rodney, Hobbs(I think, or who was that?) had a bad angle. They should have stopped that play, but a collosal screw up allowed for a TD there. Other than that they played pretty damn well.

The Pats D held up on two very tough pass interference calls that put the Colts in the red zone. And when I say "tough" I mean of course downright wrong, blown, miscalls.

The defense held up. They should get the game ball.

the defense pulled through when it counted the most... there are some flaws but did a good job nonetheless

I agree we did do great on defense.Did you know richard seymour had 5 tackles, and a tiped field goal that missed.:rocker:

Really, how many times can you expect a team to be spotted the ball on the 5 and not get it in the endzone.

Great job by the D.

R

Couple of things:

1. they did not wear down like they did in the AFC championship game last year..

2. by allowing Addai to gain all those yards, they kept the passing game in check.. I would prefer Addai gaining 100+ yards, to Peyton throwing for 350..
it was a tradeoff that worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case