PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones working out with Nic Shimonek on his strength and conditioning

I am a Mac supporter but he has had limitations since college. Read @BaconGrundleCandy draft outlook - a lot of it is still true today. Mac was improving at the end of last season, lets hope that projection continues.
Exactly, let's not overlook Mac Jones limitations just because he was in a bad situation.

I think we can all agree that the past season's offensive struggles were largely the fault of the outright incompetence of Patricia and Joe Judge.

However that doesn't let Mac Jones completely off the hook. His physical limitations became abundantly clear last season. His inability to sense pressure in the pocket, his emotional immaturity, his inability to make plays on the run or off script, his lack of arm strength to deliver balls in tight windows under pressure. It was all there for everyone to see.

Mac Jones still has a TON to prove after regressing hugely in his second season. Who here wouldn't have been glad to see what Bailey Zappe had to offer when Mac Jones and the offense continued to stink it up play after play, quarter after quarter?

I'm not averse to seeing if there's a better option out there than Mac Jones. But I have a feeling the Patriots are going to let it ride out one more season because he was a 1st round pick. BB does not desire the stigma of drafting the next N'Keal Harry at QB as well.

But if BB does trade Mac as rumored, that will give proof that he's not in love with Mac as this team's QB moving forward. I mean BB didn't exactly give 'glowing reviews' of Mac or even a vote of confidence at the end of season.

Last edited:
More from nicshimonek with Mac:

He had a couple of others with Mac doing some agility stuff as well, at least for however long they stay in his feed:

I have no idea if that's actually helping. But if it means Mac can get a couple mph more on his fastball and get the ball further down the field with better accuracy, that would be a good thing. At least he's working on it!

ho here wouldn't have been glad to see what Bailey Zappe had to offer when Mac Jones and the offense continued to stink it up play after play, quarter after quarter?
We did and Zappe had one good game out of 4. He had a typical stretch for a backup QB and I guess it's unfair to expect more. But we don't need to see the backup we need to find out if Mac is the guy. That's a question that has to be answered this coming season, being in QB purgatory like every other AFC East team was until 2020 isn't a great place to be.

Mac Jones still has a TON to prove after regressing hugely in his second season. Who here wouldn't have been glad to see what Bailey Zappe had to offer when Mac Jones and the offense continued to stink it up play after play, quarter after quarter?

You say Mac's arm is weak but you would be "glad to see" Zappe who has a weaker arm.

If you are going to list Mac's weaknesses, then list Zappe's weaknesses too. Zappe has some real strengths but some severe weaknesses, like a truly weak arm.

If he wins 3 Super Bowls he'll be better than Patrick Mahomes.

The number of years he could still play far exceeds 3.

Therefore, Mac Jones is better than Patrick Mahomes.

You say Mac's arm is weak but you would be "glad to see" Zappe who has a weaker arm.

If you are going to list Mac's weaknesses, then list Zappe's weaknesses too. Zappe has some real strengths but some severe weaknesses, like a truly weak arm.
I like having bench depth still in that young affordable category, and dislike the controversy -- something Jones can completely silence with a quick start. That would demonstrate that it was "all" on the coaching staff and would shut up the Zappe fan club.

Exactly, let's not overlook Mac Jones limitations just because he was in a bad situation.

I think we can all agree that the past season's offensive struggles were largely the fault of the outright incompetence of Patricia and Joe Judge.

However that doesn't let Mac Jones completely off the hook. His physical limitations became abundantly clear last season. His inability to sense pressure in the pocket, his emotional immaturity, his inability to make plays on the run or off script, his lack of arm strength to deliver balls in tight windows under pressure. It was all there for everyone to see.

I'm not averse to seeing if there's a better option out there than Mac Jones. But I have a feeling the Patriots are going to let it ride out one more season because he was a 1st round pick. BB does not desire the stigma of drafting the next N'Keal Harry at QB as well.

But if BB does trade Mac as rumored, that will give proof that he's not in love with Mac as this team's QB moving forward. I mean BB didn't exactly give 'glowing reviews' of Mac or even a vote of confidence at the end of season.
The first year he seemed to be more mobile and ran more, let's see if him in better shape and a better coaching and O-line if he gets back to where he was or better than the first year.

His inability to sense pressure in the pocket, his inability to make plays on the run or off script, his lack of arm strength to deliver balls in tight windows under pressure. It was all there for everyone to see.

This crap just never ends. "Hey! Let's push a narrative because, well, it lets us pretend we know what we're talking about! And then we can pronounce judgment! Yeah, that's it!"

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back