PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Love the Neal signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeSixPat said:
Which Patsfan here does the tape breakdown?

I remember him pointing out that Neal lapsed in a lot of protection schemes last year - that many of the sacks and rushes were his fault. I'd like to hear his view.

My feeling though was that Neal and others were hindered by a make shift line last year, making due without the two key components of the OL - LT and C.

There were bound to be some lapses.
Pats1 reported missed assignments by Neal in the segments he broke down. I didn't notice the same problems in the game portions I looked at, though I agree that pass blocking is Neal's weakest area. I think the combination of injured OL and injured RBs just hosed the timing and teamwork

In addition to the great blocks on the TE screens, the image I remember from last season came in the home game with Miami, Keith Traylor being walked off the field after Neal leveled him on a QB sneak.

Pats726 said:
Agreed...I wonder if they might not bring in a vet instead of drafting one?? OR draft one and bring in a vet interior lineman?? I still think a backup C may be needed...in case..

I think they they "...did draft one and bring in a vet interior lineman...".

You just weren't looking. Britt was a second rounder who slid to fifth because of a late Senior injury, and then was cut when he was still hurt; and they signed the vet Ross Tucker the hardnosed respected guy C/G, that the Bills fans, and (players), cried about losing. They wanted to cut Mr. #4 First Round pick instead. Levy took over, and then did cut lard-ass, meanwhile we got RT...

AzPatsFan said:
I think they they "...did draft one and bring in a vet interior lineman...".

You just weren't looking. Britt was a second rounder who slid to fifth because of a late Senior injury, and then was cut when he was still hurt; and they signed the vet Ross Tucker the hardnosed respected guy C/G, that the Bills fans, and (players), cried about losing. They wanted to cut Mr. #4 First Round pick instead. Levy took over, and then did cut lard-ass, meanwhile we got RT...
Actually I meant now...drafting an OL...and bringing in a vet...an older vet..someone who can help with the nastiness of the line..a Mawae-type...older vet. I agree Brett looks like he may give it a go..so??? WHo knows if they will go high with a pick in the OL...I think middle rounds earliest.

Pats726 said:
Actually I meant now...drafting an OL...and bringing in a vet...an older vet..someone who can help with the nastiness of the line..a Mawae-type...older vet. I agree Brett looks like he may give it a go..so??? WHo knows if they will go high with a pick in the OL...I think middle rounds earliest.
Middle round might be a bit late to land an OT who will be more then a Practice Squad hopeful.

AndyJohnson said:
I still say we need to add a STUD OL to this group.
It is pretty good as constructed, and I like the depth.

However if you add an all-pro caliber guy (and that could be a rookie who grows into it) we could have a dominant OL.

* I don't disagree with that idea, but I don't expect BB to draft an OL very high this year at all. It may take a little while for the starting 5 to jell if it's Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal and Kazcur because some haven't played together much and Kazcur may be at a new spot. I wanted the Patriots to draft a top OL for years, but I gave up -:) Then got surprised when the drafted Mankins in the 1st and them Kazcur in the 3rd round. After awhile they should be better than the 2004 version which got Dillon a lot of yards and didn't give up many sacks. Neal needs to inprove his pass blocking but he's a good run blocker and good in space and when he pulls.

DaBruinz said:
1)
5) I wouldn't be surprised to see Light lined up at RT this year.

I think this is the first I've heard this idea. Nobody's allowed to go to bed tonight until they've seriously considered this interesting idea! Especially if Light comes back only 95% of his old self, shift him to Right and Kaczur LT and I think we're good.

cut them slack?

AzPatsFan said:
So you won't cut them any slack for losing three starters to IR and playing two rookies? Tough man, you are tough...
cut slack to who(m)?
the players themselves? heck, they did as well as any playoff OL i've ever seen, missing 3 starters.
the coaching staff? dante scarnecchia should have a statue in fron ogf the stadium, the job he's done in umpteen years.
BB/SP? do you think they still chalk up these njuries to bad luck and coincidence, or are they giving thought to size, weights and flexibility?
they are entirely deserving of 'slack'.
many of us may feel differently when (not if) we see brady get body-slammed 3 plays in a row, and concussed.
with all 3 starters in, it's still not a dominant run-blocking OL, and there is still a need for a man-eating RT.

R_T26 said:
This pretty much stabalizes the o-line. Now we have Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kazcur as a predicted starting lineup. We could use a little more depth but were doing pretty good. Now we need to adress the WR position, though im glad Troy wont end his career in another uniform.

Assuming Koppen is fully recovered, this will be the best OLine the Patriots have had in qiote some time.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Pats1 reported missed assignments by Neal in the segments he broke down. I didn't notice the same problems in the game portions I looked at, though I agree that pass blocking is Neal's weakest area. I think the combination of injured OL and injured RBs just hosed the timing and teamwork

In addition to the great blocks on the TE screens, the image I remember from last season came in the home game with Miami, Keith Traylor being walked off the field after Neal leveled him on a QB sneak.
This is purely speculation, but I would assume other teams scout our players as intensely as we scout theirs. The book on Neal's pass blocking abilities is probably out, and adjustments were made in attacking him last year. Now, he has to step up and make adjustments himself, with Dante's help. They'll get r done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft