PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Love the Neal signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
This pretty much stabalizes the o-line. Now we have Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kazcur as a predicted starting lineup. We could use a little more depth but were doing pretty good. Now we need to adress the WR position, though im glad Troy wont end his career in another uniform.

Just no more pancake blocks on Brady. Mmmkay?
neal-brady.jpg

yes, Neal solidifies the OL for 2006. Extensions of Koppen and Hochstein would solidify even more. As of now, we have no centers for 2007.

Light,Mankins,Koppen,Neal,Kaycur
with two 2005 starters as gameday reserves: Hochstein, Gorin
Note that if there are any delays for Light and Koppen, we have their 2005 replacements still in place.

and Tucker, Brit, Yates, Roehl and Mruc competing for 1-3 additional available spots.

There is now no NEED at OL. However, we certainly can consider upgrades.

Last edited:
R_T26 said:
And no more taking out Branch

Didn't he also injure Bethel or someone else the same year he injured Branch? I remember people were calling him a headhunter of his own team for a while that year. Sentiments resurfaced after he splatted Brady. Poor guy, hopefully in this tenure he only tackles the OTHER teams players. No more Tebuckyitis!

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
Just no more pancake blocks on Brady. Mmmkay?
neal-brady.jpg

Reminds me of a guy I played with in high school. Big, tough, but was always throwing cross body blocks( they were legal then) againts his teammates.

It was funny as hell until you were the one who got chopped.

mgteich said:
yes, Neal solidifies the OL for 2006. Extensions of Koppen and Hochstein would solidify even more. As of now, we have no centers for 2007.

Note that if there are any delays for Light and Koppen, we have their 2005 replacements still in place.

and Tucker, Brit, Yates, Roehl and Mruc competing for 1-3 additional available spots.

good post.

mgteich said:

I agree if they like Kaczur as a legit starter at RT. I have no reason to believe they don't but the draft will tell.

Also, we do have Koppen as a UFA in 12 months so it's possible they'll prepare for that with a mid round pick this year.

Is Neal officially resigned? Just wonderin'???

Feep_FLA said:
Is Neal officially resigned? Just wonderin'???
Not sure if it's officially official but it's unofficially official ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2382207

"New England has reached agreement with a pair of its own unrestricted free agents, versatile wide receiver Troy Brown and starting right guard Stephen Neal, and the contracts could be finalized by Friday. Financial details were not immediately available, but sources confirmed Brown will sign a second straight one-year contract, and Neal is likely to receive a multi-year deal."

PATSNUTme said:
Reminds me of a guy I played with in high school. Big, tough, but was always throwing cross body blocks( they were legal then) againts his teammates.

It was funny as hell until you were the one who got chopped.
I loved the cross body block, I once laid one on a self professed football stud in a camp pick-up game, he was useless for the rest of the game because he was watching for me to hit him with another. Mind rape of of the arrogant, I'm such a stinker. :p

Appreciate that BelichickFan .......

Regarding the signing, I wouldn't say I'm jumping up and down with joy although Neal has a special place in my heart being the only NFL player ever to come from my Alma Mater of Cal State Bakersfield ;) He was a little disappointing last year, hopefully he'll improve with experience as his age of 29 obviously belies his experience level. And I would like to think that having a better RT next to him will help too. Now if we can sign Koppen our OL should be set for a number of years.

They might just extend Hochstein as insurance against Koppen leaving, if Koppen won't extend.

BelichickFan said:
I agree if they like Kaczur as a legit starter at RT. I have no reason to believe they don't but the draft will tell.

Also, we do have Koppen as a UFA in 12 months so it's possible they'll prepare for that with a mid round pick this year.

BelichickFan said:
I think he can, they way he handled some of the best pass rushers last year... its only upwards from here

I still think the Pats will draft an OL this year, but maybe not on day one, unless someone they have ranked very high slips to them.

One thing about our RT situation: I like Kaczur but he's more of a pass blocker and is probably better suited on the weak side. It all depends on how he takes to coaching. The staff seems to really like him so hopefully he gets stronger and takes over for Gorin. Right now Gorin is better at run-blocking, IMO. But I would rather Kaczur get the reps on the right side, though our run game might suffer a bit.

football is not a nice game...

Box_O_Rocks said:
I loved the cross body block, I once laid one on a self professed football stud in a camp pick-up game, he was useless for the rest of the game because he was watching for me to hit him with another. Mind rape of of the arrogant, I'm such a stinker. :p
i was a TE in a veer offense, and it was great fun to get LBs looking around for me instead of watching the QB.
perhaps this is common knowledge these days, but It Is Not Nice Out There. it's easy to love it, but some of the hits are the kind you remember for 40 years.

i like kaczur and neal because of their storylines. but if patriots are committed to koppen, mankins and light, my concern is that the OL won't ever blow people off the ball. one on one, they won't be dominant. each OL WILL occasionally get beat, and brady will be at more risk than i want to see. IMO kaczur and neal, muuch as i want to see them excel, are at a talent level where they Should Be the Reserves. i wanna see upgrades, a monster run-blocking OT over there, and another mean OG.

Box_O_Rocks said:

This is really getting off topic. However, at the end of my senior year in high school, a whole bunch of us went down to the beach, got really drunk, and then went running and cross body blocking each other in the pitch dark. Great fun.

A cross body block use to be an art form. I can understand why they banned it. But there was nothing more beautiful on a football field than to see a perfectly executed cross body block.

ilduce06410 said:
i was a TE in a veer offense, and it was great fun to get LBs looking around for me instead of watching the QB.
perhaps this is common knowledge these days, but It Is Not Nice Out There. it's easy to love it, but some of the hits are the kind you remember for 40 years.

i like kaczur and neal because of their storylines. but if patriots are committed to koppen, mankins and light, my concern is that the OL won't ever blow people off the ball. one on one, they won't be dominant. each OL WILL occasionally get beat, and brady will be at more risk than i want to see. IMO kaczur and neal, muuch as i want to see them excel, are at a talent level where they Should Be the Reserves. i wanna see upgrades, a monster run-blocking OT over there, and another mean OG.

I disagree, Light is one of the best run blocking OLT in the League, and tha tincludes the Paces, Jones, Ogdens of the world. Mankins is a hardnose, and so is Neal. Britt could be that drive blocking bastid at ORT tha tthe Pats haven't fielded, but Gorin is a pretty good run blocker too...

Koppen is a mobility Center and not a dominant drive blocker, I grant, but you need that on a Team with a Brady passing game.

This is a really good signing....... I like a Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Gorin line with Kaczur as backup tackle. What's the scoop on this Tucker fellow? Think we need late round C/G as insurance though..... :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back