PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Loss against Steelers would be a good thing (MERGED SLOWLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Loss against Steelers would be a good thing

Every team will be a huge underdog regardless of what the Patriots do. They've squeaked out wins against the 5-7 Eagles and 4-8 Ravens, and Vegas still has the line at double digits against the 9-3 Steelers. If a team chooses to do so, the line will be motivation throughout the rest of the season.

I'm sorry, man, but your argument is ludicrous and completely irrelevant.

Than how can you explain this lineup struggling against a 5-7 team with a no name quarterback and a 4-8 team with a no-name quarterback? Tired on the Pats part and extra motivation on the opposing teams part. That is all I can figure out. We are obviously the superior team.

Not saying purposely lose, obviously. Saying that a loss this week would not be a bad thing.

Well, that's stupid.

No, it wouldn't.

Than how can you explain this lineup struggling against a 5-7 team with a no name quarterback and a 4-8 team with a no-name quarterback? Tired on the Pats part and extra motivation on the opposing teams part. That is all I can figure out. We are obviously the superior team.

They're trying hard. Or the Pats defense has weaknesses. Or both.

If the Pats lose, they (other teams) will stop trying so hard and the pats can "rest" and kind of "sneak" a superbowl win. I don't think so.

Teams in the playoffs are 100% motivated. And playing teams which are playing hard now, helps, not hurts. Makes you battle tested instead of soft.

I wouldn't say you should be beaten for your idiocy, but close.

Well, that's stupid.

I don't think so. It would lift a huge weight of scrutiny off their shoulders and we can refocus on what the real goal is heading towards the playoffs.

They're trying hard. Or the Pats defense has weaknesses. Or both.

If the Pats lose, they (other teams) will stop trying so hard and the pats can "rest" and kind of "sneak" a superbowl win. I don't think so.

Teams in the playoffs are 100% motivated. And playing teams which are playing hard now, helps, not hurts. Makes you battle tested instead of soft.

I wouldn't say you should be beaten for your idiocy, but close.

We shall see how it plays out. I'm not going to be upset if the Steelers run with it on Sunday. After what I've seen the last couple of weeks, I'm expecting it. If the Pats rise to it and win, more credit to them. I think this team is spent and this is this week it will catch up to them and I think in the long run it will help them by changing the goals in the Giants game and how they approach the playoffs with a veteran group.

Can you guys smell that?

You mean the pile of crap?

If the team were to really take the week off, they should forfiet the game. They will be just as tired, win or lose. It's not like losing is easy and rests up a team.

First of all, I want to give this guy Chunga or whoever he is a lot of credit for hanging in here against a lot of pushback.

I'm going to agree with him.

First of all, anyone who knows me out here knows I bleed Patriots blue and red, that I logged hours of cold fanny time at the old Foxboro and that I've stuck with this team through the very, very bad times as well as the great roll of the last few years, which has brought out many bandwagoners.

I am worried that this team is grinding itself down. Even BB said that he has a "tired team" now. This isn't "tired" like "I need a good nights sleep" tired, but tired like "these guys are playing teams for whom the Pats game is their SB" tired. I don't see how anyone could have watched the Ravens game and not been concerned about the O line and the run defense.

I don't ever want to see the Pats lose a game to anyone, but the normal flow of the end of the season for a team with Homefield advantage is to scale down over the last couple of weeks, give guys a rest without taking them out altogether, work on new schemes rather than put them out there for everyone to see because we have to win this game, and generally get into the Playoff mindset.

I worry that if we're playing four more superbowls before the season ends (and if you don't think that the Jets and Fins aren't going to come in here angry, you don't know what you're talking about; the giants would be playing to be the team that stopped history from being made), we're going to go into the Playoffs spent. One extra week might not be enough to recover.

So, I don't want to see them lose, but if I had to pick a game, it sure wouldn't be losing to the Jests or Fins; losing the last game standing between them and a perfect season would not be a way to go into the postseason by any measure. So, if they're gonna lose, this Sunday would be as good a time as any to get it over with, focus on getting homefield by ending up 14--2 and winning the goshalmighty Superbowl, which is what this season is all about any way.

Last edited:

You mean the pile of crap?

If the team were to really take the week off, they should forfiet the game. They will be just as tired, win or lose. It's not like losing is easy and rests up a team.

Yep! The flies are thick around this thread.

This isn't "tired" like "I need a good nights sleep" tired, but tired like "these guys are playing teams for whom the Pats game is their SB" tired.

Actually, that's the exact kind of tired he's talking about. They've played three straight night games, two of which being on the road. I think it's very much a "I need a good night's sleep" tired.

Yup, big pile of it too. Must be troll crap.

Two playoff game type atmospheres to get to the Super Bowl or six playoff type games to preserve a record and get to the Super Bowl? What would you rather have?

I would like to introduce you to the New England Patriots.
They go out on Sundays and play football games. They do not have 'pressure' because of a record. They are not affected by what the media wants to discuss. They are not distracted by success.

The spend the week preparing to beat an opponent, go out and do so, then BEGIN to think about the next game.
To think that the Patriots consider the remaining regular season games 'playoff type atmosphere' means you do not understand what the team is about.

How does a loss cure their fatigue again?

Are you saying that somehow, NE should treat this game as a preseason game and just give it to the Steelers?

Even if the team is tired, doesn't BB giving them an extra day off and then having two straight afternoon home games against poor teams won't help that? Or the bye that is all but assured of happening?

The only ones that benefit from a loss to the Steelers is the Steelers themselves. And the media for a week.

Can someone clue me in on how losing is restful.

The Pats are tired and their undefeated season is the only story in the NFL. What should be meaningless games towards the end of the schedule are now going to be overscrutinized and the team is going to be under a microscope. A loss to the Steelers would deflect the media attention and give the Patriots an opportunity to begin resting players, disguising schemes for the playoffs and the best part about it, the media would write them off and crown the Steelers as the team to beat in the playoffs. We would still have home field and that would serve as extra motivation to beat them a second time. The team is feeling the pressure now and a loss or two would deflect that and make the Patriots not the only story in the league and perhaps and underdog. Also, we are older and we are tired. A two or three week bye for some of these guys might be a good thing.

Wow,
I usually hear this as some sort of looking at the bright side crap after losing a game. But talk about folding under the pressure of potential going 16-0. Thats weak ...

any chance even ONE of the Mods here would consider noticing that this EXACT THREAD is on the board twice and, I dunno, maybe MERGING them? I'd be less pissy with the mods if half of them weren't constantly making up fake ID's and harrassing a guy who was reinstated by Ian.

If you're not going to respect "the office," at least do "the job."

For those Mods who are not harrassing an old man, you have deepest respect and appreciation for all the good you do around here. Thanks.

any chance even ONE of the Mods here would consider noticing that this EXACT THREAD is on the board twice and, I dunno, maybe MERGING them? I'd be less pissy with the mods if half of them weren't constantly making up fake ID's and harrassing a guy who was reinstated by Ian.

For those Mods who are not harrassing an old man, you have deepest respect and appreciation for all the good you do around here. Thanks.

Why not PM a mod as they have repeatedly requested instead of bashing the forum (that got Aqua banned) and siezing yet another opportunity to play rump swab for a repeatedly and deservedly banned poster destructive to this forum?

Can someone clue me in on how losing is restful.

If they should lose this game, it would change the focus of the last few games of the season from going undefeated to working towards the playoffs. Therefore, we can write off the Giants game as a preseason game. Vanilla playcalling with backups. If we should go into that game 15-0, then it's full throttle to preserve the unbeaten BS rather than preserve the team for the playoffs. Perhaps, Belichik would preserve the team regardless, but I think this is a team worn down more than I have seen in past years. Age may have more to do with it. I think the "greatest of all time" scrutiny has a lot to do with it. I've never seen a team scrutinized or under the microscope as much as this team is. A loss would ease some of that and refocus them. Just my opinion.

I think his first post was exactly the same. He's managed to post it twice. He clearly feels very strongly about it.

Well, that explains everything. Marijuana does make you forget.

I'll merge the threads now that I'm aware of them. Sorry I can't hover around and jump at the speed of light.

Everyone thinks that they can do a better job than someone who is doing it. I bet there are people out there thinking they can do a better job about whining and complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News