PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking forward to the new Sports Radio Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I get dyslexic when it comes to two vowels together at times.

As for the guides/control argument, my point is the same. The screener controls the callers and the host controls the types of callers the screener lets through as far as content. So the screener controls and guides the content.

So you've never spoken with anyone who worked for talk radio? I lived in central Florida for about a decade. That's Dolphins, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Seminoles, Gators and Hurricanes land.

Most of the calls and talk was centered around the Marlins and Rays anyway, even though neither team is hugely popular. Baseball lends itself to talk radio in a way that football can't, because of the individuality involved.

Last edited:
People what we're seeing here is collusion in a vicious plot by Mo, Deus and Rob to rack up their post counts. Ian must have some Trilateral Commision type of secret prize that we the common posters don't know about.

People what we're seeing here is collusion in a vicious plot by Mo, Deus and Rob to rack up their post counts. Ian must have some Trilateral Commision type of secret prize that we the common posters don't know about.

Well, you win a prize for 15,000 posts. Just ask Box.

I'm having a hard time getting this channel in clearly in Boston. Kinda weird.

Sounds like they are going to do some ridiculous amounts of pregame programming though. Basically the same personalities from WBCN too.

This might have already been asked, but I'm not going through 15 pages of "talk radio" talk to find out. Its bad enough that we have to listen to most of them, when CLEARLY all of us would do a better job. ;)

My question is, does the new station have a web site and can you listen live?

Is anybody else disappointed that they seem to be trotting out the most predictable retreads rather than attempting to introduce any fresh voices and talents to this major sports market?

:agree: They have such a HUGE market that maybe they just don't feel the need to change anything but among the fans here at least, there seems to be a market not only for more Pats talk but better quality Pats talk, sans all the drama.

Most of those guys have been around for years and they're pretty predictable. For me, EEI is mostly entertainment and I LOVE Freddy Smerlas! I hope they never mess with the Big Show, that's the best:D I like NE Tailgate, especially if I'm nervous about the game. Smerlas always gets you pumped lol.

Felger is Felger though he's made good points in the past.

But they seem to have the "why mess with a good thing" outlook but it would be cool if they branched out more. They need some new blood,maybe a new show with a new concept or something, preferably Pats-related :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So yeah... that sucked, period. They did many of the same things people criticize WEEI for... but they aren't EEI so I guess that makes them good. For the realists out there, it sounded like a weekend show on WEEI... Stearns and Megliola, meet Felger and Massarotti.

Rob, this morning you had me believing all you wanted was honest competition, to raise the bar on all sports radio in this town. By spinning some of the crap I heard today into what you perceive as good radio, if I'm a Felger-hater, you're just a Felger shill.

For those that are interested, Reiss is schedule to be on the show sometime after the break they are currently having.

I was listening to the pre game and had to turn it off it only took five min. to get sick of hearing Gresh.

Last edited:
Reiss:

4 man front is about strength of D-line v. linebackers

Players have bought in to the 'tough' training camp, albeit without a lot of live tackling

Seeing Burgess as LDE in the 3-point stance rushing the passer only, to date. Maybe will be built on moving forward

Sees no real difference in Brady pre and post injury so far

Pimped Edelman a bit, but feed went out so I couldn't follow that.

More Reiss:

Thinks Dave Thomas could be the 'under the radar' guy, but doesn't think Watson will be cut. He would not be shocked if it happens, though.

Thinks O'Connell will be the backup QB.

Has Wilhite, Bodden, Butler, Wheatley the CB order for tonight

Thinks Vick will play in the NFL this season

I was listening to the pre game and had to turn it off it only took five min. to get sick of hearing Gresh. :mad:

Could someone please educate me as to just how a guy like this gets hired?

I don't know what's worse - his iritating voice, his supremely grating personality or the utter coviction which which he expresses his ill-informed, convoluted and decidedly less than insightful point of view.

Geez. I just don't get it. Maybe he has incriminating pictures of a team official with a lingerie-clad goat on the State House lawn ...

You mean the other sports chennel that is famous for being steered by the callers by screening their calls and telling people they are only accepting calls that are in line with what the hosts are talking about. Funny, how WEEI can go weeks without a non-Red Sox call and this station has been getting calls about Patriots, Red Sox, and even Bruins.

There has been plenty of times on this board over the years that people have complained that they have called WEEI to speak Patriots and the screener said they they are only talking Red Sox that day.

I can personally attest to that. Four years ago, I drove up to MA from Hershey for a wedding. It was a Friday night, and Week One was that Thursday. So as I'm driving through RI around 10pm, I thought that passing the time by calling WEEI would be a good idea. Naturally, my mind was on the defending SB Champion Patriots, not the Dead Sux. When I told the screener what I wanted to discuss, however, he said: "We're only talking Sox tonight, buddy"...Click. I suppose I shouldn't have expected anything more from Epstein butt-muncher Steve Buckley, who was subbing for Ted Sarandis.

So in this regard, Rob is right: it's not the callers who drive the show, it's the call screeners. A show's agenda, therefore, might have little to do with the agenda of its audience - and often does.

They start broadcasting tomorrow in time for the first pre-season game.

I actually enjoy EEI when Smerlas and Deossie are on in the afternoon.

Callahan may have a "right" leaning slant, but his analysis of sports is usually spot on.

From spring training in feb to November...it's 80% red sox talk.

Looking forward to hearing more about football.

First, MASSIVE understatement. Second, the problem isn't his politics, it's his CONSTANT touting of his politics. I want sports, not some idiot conservative's latest rantings. If I wanted to listen to Rush Limbaugh, I would.

Tanguay and Zo's show today is going to have Papelbon, Belichick, and Rodney on.

First, MASSIVE understatement. Second, the problem isn't his politics, it's his CONSTANT touting of his politics. I want sports, not some idiot conservative's latest rantings. If I wanted to listen to Rush Limbaugh, I would.

Personally, I wouldn't even mind if they officially split up the morning show, and made the 6am-8am block "Dennis and Callahan's Political and Social Talk", and just made 8am-10am the sports portion. At least then those of us who want to hear sports would know we could turn the radio on and--shock!--hear sports. On a sports station. Go figure.

And please keep your MASSIVE leftist political rantings to the, you know, Political Forum, thank you. You Useful Idiots never cease to amaze me.

BTW, where are the mods to move the political talk off a football forum?

Well..some quick impressions from this AM...Firstly...I loved hearing Rodney..THAT was the highlight of the show...that they did not get CoachB on was a majot disappointment..BUT that is OK..Tanguay...it only took a few minutes before I turned the station..something I will do when something really dumb or wrong has been said.."I've had it with Maroney"...really..I find that quite stupid as itw as his FIRST game back from injuroies that kept him out last year. ONE game..and HE HAD enough?? I've had enough of him..Reasons why he and Felger hardly get watched by me..2 dumbos together.. Zo though was really insightful..OR more so. Really..if a player is coming BACK from an imjury cut him some slack...please. Later when I turned back he went on and on about D issues...as if HAVING issues in the first game is NOT to be expected. Put on Zoe and Holley..and let Tanguay and Arnold go....I know won't happen..but..I really like Holley a lot better..but will be going bk and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes