PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi's great insight on BB's taking away Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Great insight on what “Belichick is taking away what the opponent does best” mantra really means . combined with key points of Patriots defensive plan for SB Sunday.

This Is What Separates Bill Belichick From Every Other NFL Coach

quote:
When Belichick prepares for his next opponent, he studies their players and the signature plays of those players, not just the design of their offense.
Belichick doesn’t take away what the opponent does best, but what their individual players do best. It’s a subtle but crucial difference. He personally breaks down every offensive player to understand their strengths within their team’s scheme. Then, he matches the talents of New England’s defensive players to whatever system he’s created for that week.

_
Expect defensive tackles Alan Branch and Malcom Brown to line up over either Falcons guard and follow this specific Belichick instruction: Push the line of scrimmage back — run or pass. No swim moves, no spins. Just pure power straight on, the same way the Giants disrupted Tom Brady’s line of scrimmage nine years ago in Arizona.

__

So: push the line . set the edge . disrupt routes . don't allow big plays.
Sounds good . and very doable by Pats D

_
Expect defensive tackles Alan Branch and Malcom Brown to line up over either Falcons guard and follow this specific Belichick instruction: Push the line of scrimmage back — run or pass. No swim moves, no spins. Just pure power straight on, the same way the Giants disrupted Tom Brady’s line of scrimmage nine years ago in Arizona.

They certainly won't have a problem doing this against their RG.

Excellent read. Good insights from Lombardi as always. Please edit spelling in thread title. I almost passed over the thread because I'd never heard of Lombradi, the writer.

Here's today's Ringer Podcast w/ Lombardi he comes in at the 28:00 mark

Good to see him mentioning the Falcons' poor red zone offense. I've been mentioning it since last week, but haven't seen it talked about much. This is what makes me very confident in this game.

One of the best pieces I've read in a while.
Lombardi's Football IQ is way above mine.
Hes forgotten more than I'll ever know.

These types of reads I appreciate.

Hes forgotten more than I'll ever know.

These types of reads I appreciate.
So true. I'm not a big Lombardi fan, I don't think he is a good decision maker or communicator but all of these guys in the NFL are light years ahead of people who do not do this for a living.
I played through college and considered myself someone who truly tried to learn every aspect of the game and understand it. I seriously considered coaching but felt the money wouldn't be enough.
But after I stopped playing everyone who stayed in the game surpassed me by miles.
It's funny when people question any NFL exec or COach much less belichick.

The Falcons put up a huge number last week against a horrendous defense that helped their RZ stats, and NE played 4 games without Brady. NE is much more efficient in the RZ with Brady in the lineup.

Also, don't just look at the stats. Most of their high RZ % games came against bottom 5-10 defenses. Defenses that were average or better had success keeping them to FGs.

They get most of their points from big plays, which bodes well for NE, since they give up very few of those.

After Lombardi came out and said the Jamie Collins trade was a good thing and would actually improve the D....and it came true, he'll forever have my trust.

I admittedly thought that was the most "WTF are you doing?!?" trades ever and he was the first person to come out and tell fans to relax and trust the move.

Excellent read. Good insights from Lombardi as always. Please edit spelling in thread title. I almost passed over the thread because I'd never heard of Lombradi, the writer.

I am actually surprised how many people here DO know Lombradi ..

Fixed, thanks.

I am actually surprised how many people here DO know Lombradi ..

Fixed, thanks.
heck I didn't even notice until I read these comments, my eyes and brain just conspired to make sense out of it despite your best efforts to the contrary!

But is he picking us.....hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST