PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Locker Room Reaction To Moss Trade (Crumpler, Welker & Wilfork)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Wes hinted that he though Moss was being selfish, from when he said "But he did what's best for himself". As much as it is a buisiness it's still a team sport and 52 other guys in the locker room treated it as that. That is why I think Wes was bugged/annoyed/whatever feeling you want to insert there.

This goes back to what none of the Moss apologists wanted to acknowledge dating back to the end of last season. Brady and Welker week after week pleading for guys to be mentally tough (and we know how the sign in the locker room defines that term here) and push though whatever was bothering or ailing them. They weren't talking to the defense, no one was including Wilfork or Warren unfortunately, they were talking to their own side of the ball. the only thing they can attempt to control. Didn't work though...although it was one hell of a draining effort on their part in addition to what they were personally pushing though on the field...

I think Wes hinted that he though Moss was being selfish, from when he said "But he did what's best for himself". As much as it is a buisiness it's still a team sport and 52 other guys in the locker room treated it as that. That is why I think Wes was bugged/annoyed/whatever feeling you want to insert there.

It's pretty blatant that Randy was being selfish as far as money goes. I'm sure the other players would love to go to the media to escalate their contracts, but they have more respect for the team then that.

It's pretty blatant that Randy was being selfish as far as money goes. I'm sure the other players would love to go to the media to escalate their contracts, but they have more respect for the team then that.

Yes but no player will say that directly, I think Wes is the only one who hinted it though.

Yes but no player will say that directly, I think Wes is the only one who hinted it though.

I think players understand that you have to look out for yourself. The fans are the emotional ones that feel players should never care about their finances because they "make millions".

You really think Brady would be all fine and dandy if he didn't have an extension? The players UNDERSTAND the business side of it, it's the fans that refuse to accept it.

No, I think alot of people understand that it's a buisiness, but thats why you hire agents, so they take care of that and the players can focus on football and doing what is best for the team.

What Moss did was selfish. We all know he wanted a new contract, but he should have left that work to his agent and focused on doing what he does best, being a high energy player that helped fuel the best passing offense in the NFL since 2007.

I still have faith in our current WR's unlike most of the people here though so this doesn't bug me to see him gone. I still like moss and will cheer for him (except on oct 31st), but i think this may be addition by subtraction with our new offensive identity.

Last edited:
:eek:

Strong words, indeed.

Yeah, a little hyperbole on my part. I guess when you're praising people for ripping others, I feel due. Not that I thought Welker was, but the OP seemed to think it was a great idea.

Welker's been a great slot receiver which mostly consists of catching 5 yard passes by finding holes in the zone because other people are covered.

I still maintain if you don't think the coverage Moss pulled had a great deal to do with Welkers great seasons, you're smoking something strong.

When teams have focused on Welker (rarely, how often do defenses focus on slot receivers?) they have shut him down. By definition, they are usually focused on longer pass threats.

I think the animosity towards Moss is because they feel if Moss played the good soldier and played hard instead of worrying about his contract, he'd still be here and the team is better with him here.

So the fans are selfish then? They want someone to do what is best for the team they love even at the expense of what is best for them?

It goes both ways, it is what it is. People need to move on and stop trying to make Moss out to be the devil. Guys like Mo who use player quotes only when it benefits their case and ignore words that hurt their case really need to stop pretending they have any idea on the "true" feelings of the guys in that locker room.

No, I think alot of people understand that it's a buisiness, but thats why you hire agents, so they take care of that and the players can focus on football and doing what is best for the team.

Moss played almost all offensive snaps and ran his routes hard and scored 3 TDs for the team. How has he NOT focused on football?

What Moss did was selfish. We all know he wanted a new contract, but he should have left that work to his agent and focused on doing what he does best, being a high energy player that helped fuel the best passing offense in the NFL since 2007.

What did he do that was selfish on the football field, in practice or in the locerroom? Aside from a hugely overblown PC after game 1?

I still have faith in our current WR's unlike most of the people here though so this doesn't bug me to see him gone. I still like moss and will cheer for him (except on oct 31st), but i think this may be addition by subtraction with our new offensive identity.

I trust BB, and this season has always relied on the defensive growth. I trust the offense is still good as well, not AS good but still good.

Yeah, a little hyperbole on my part. I guess when you're praising people for ripping others, I feel due. Not that I thought Welker was, but the OP seemed to think it was a great idea.

Welker's been a great slot receiver which mostly consists of catching 5 yard passes by finding holes in the zone because other people are covered.

I still maintain if you don't think the coverage Moss pulled had a great deal to do with Welkers great seasons, you're smoking something strong.

When teams have focused on Welker (rarely, how often do defenses focus on slot receivers?) they have shut him down. By definition, they are usually focused on longer pass threats.

Do you think the Patriots were focusing on him when we played Miami?

Moss played almost all offensive snaps and ran his routes hard and scored 3 TDs for the team. How has he NOT focused on football?

What did he do that was selfish on the football field, in practice or in the locerroom? Aside from a hugely overblown PC after game 1?

I trust BB, and this season has always relied on the defensive growth. I trust the offense is still good as well, not AS good but still good.

I trust BB as well, but you have to know we didn't hear everything when he talked about Moss leaving the other day. The simple fact is, we don't know what happened in the locker room.

You don't know how focused he was, and we know he has a history of not always giving it 100%.

How was he NOT selfish? Made the win over Cinci about him, asked for a trade after week one, blew up on the OC (supposedly, and we also don't know why but one can assume he wanted more balls thrown his way).

I'm not saying I don't like Randy, but he sure as hell wasn't doing the right things behind the scenes if he truly wanted to finish his career in NE.

Vince Wilfork just held out, and Logan Mankins is currently holding out. Both have made statements to the media. I'd be surprised if Welker doesn't hold out next year.

What Moss did was selfish. We all know he wanted a new contract, but he should have left that work to his agent and focused on doing what he does best, being a high energy player that helped fuel the best passing offense in the NFL since 2007..

And considering that pretty much all of the players had no idea he was looking to be traded, thats apparantly exactly what happend.

Do you think the Patriots were focusing on him when we played Miami?

Welker is a fine slot receiver. Mankins is a fine left guard.

If you want to hero worship certain players that's up to you, but it doesn't make Mankins a pro bowl left tackle, or Welker a 6'3" home run receiver.

They are good players in a team concept who are limited.

Gaffney, for instance, could play slot and pretty much every other receiver position. Same with Troy Brown. That doesn't make them greater than Welker, but they certainly were more versatile.

Again, it's hero worship. Welker can play one position on a football field very well and as long as the other receivers are drawing coverage, he can get some space to operate.

Last edited:
And considering that pretty much all of the players had no idea he was looking to be traded, thats apparantly exactly what happend.

I'll give you that, that still doesn't excuse Moss for talking about himself and his contract all through the preseason, ignoring the sponsors, supposedly blowing up at the OC, doing his own thing while the National Anthem is on, and sitting alone looking depressed after a huge team win.

I'll say it again ....none of us are in the locker room. We simply don't know. So this debate is pretty stupid, but publicly he hasn't been the best role model for the team.

Last edited:
I trust BB as well, but you have to know we didn't hear everything when he talked about Moss leaving the other day. The simple fact is, we don't know what happened in the locker room.

You don't know how focused he was, and we know he has a history of not always giving it 100%.

We know the media wants you to believe he has a history of not giving 100%, but I also know that 0 WRs in the NFL give exactly 100% each and every snap (that's not possible). It seems you rather assume guilty until proven innocent and use the "we do not know" card to prove this case? You are right we do NOT know, so let's stop assuming all the negative crap that ONLY the media is giving us.

How was he NOT selfish? Made the win over Cinci about him, asked for a trade after week one, blew up on the OC (supposedly, and we also don't know why but one can assume he wanted more balls thrown his way).

I already mentioned the Cinci game, that was not selfish ON THE FIELD though it was selfish. Any exchange with the OC on how to WIN the game is selfish? Of course there you go with your assuming the negative angle off the bat as if he wanted more balls because he's selfish. He wants to win, that's what he's always wanted.

I'm not saying I don't like Randy, but he sure as hell wasn't doing the right things behind the scenes if he truly wanted to finish his career in NE.

Right because YOU were behind the scenes :/

I'll give you that, that still doesn't excuse Moss for talking about himself and his contract all through the preseason, ignoring the sponsors, supposedly blowing up at the OC, doing his own thing while the National Anthem is on, and sitting alone looking depressed after a huge team win.

I'll say it again ....none of us are in the locker room. We simply don't know. So this debate is pretty stupid, but publicly he hasn't been the best role model for the team.

lol "doing his own thing" was actually trying to fire the TEAM up. Way to twist everything to fit your agenda

We know the media wants you to believe he has a history of not giving 100%, but I also know that 0 WRs in the NFL give exactly 100% each and every snap (that's not possible). It seems you rather assume guilty until proven innocent and use the "we do not know" card to prove this case? You are right we do NOT know, so let's stop assuming all the negative crap that ONLY the media is giving us.

I already mentioned the Cinci game, that was not selfish ON THE FIELD though it was selfish. Any exchange with the OC on how to WIN the game is selfish? Of course there you go with your assuming the negative angle off the bat as if he wanted more balls because he's selfish. He wants to win, that's what he's always wanted.

Right because YOU were behind the scenes :/

He would still be NE if he was doing the right things behind the scenes. Or did we just trade him 1/4 of the way through the season cause we wanted to spice things up? Pretty obvious some things went down behind the scenes that we don't know about in my opinion.

lol "doing his own thing" was actually trying to fire the TEAM up. Way to twist everything to fit your agenda

He could wait 60 seconds until its over. It's disrespectful to the nation. I don't blame him one bit for trying to fire the team up, I encourage that 100%. I don't agree with WHEN he did it. And it's especially important to the league itself to look good in front of it's national audience when all eyes are glued to it every Sunday.

Again, it's hero worship. Welker can play one position on a football field very well and as long as the other receivers are drawing coverage, he can get some space to operate.

Welker plays outside the slot in roughly 40% of the plays hes on the field. When the Patriots go to 2-wide, he moves outside. Sometimes when they're in 3-wide, hes outside.

He's clearly a possession receiver, but hes not limited to the slot at all.

He would still be NE if he was doing the right things behind the scenes. Or did we just trade him 1/4 of the way through the season cause we wanted to spice things up? Pretty obvious some things went down behind the scenes that we don't know about in my opinion.

This logic is ridiculously terrible. "He was traded therefore he did something wrong in the lockerroom". BB already said there was a combination of factors, you can continue to ignore it all you want. Let's pretend that we aren't using more 2 TE formations and trying to use ball control more than quick strike this season too.

He could wait 60 seconds until its over. It's disrespectful to the nation. I don't blame him one bit for trying to fire the team up, I encourage that 100%. I don't agree with WHEN he did it. And it's especially important to the league itself to look good in front of it's national audience when all eyes are glued to it every Sunday.

Disrespectful to the nation is far different from selfish with respect to his team. Please stop.

This logic is ridiculously terrible. "He was traded therefore he did something wrong in the lockerroom". BB already said there was a combination of factors, you can continue to ignore it all you want. Let's pretend that we aren't using more 2 TE formations and trying to use ball control more than quick strike this season too.

Disrespectful to the nation is far different from selfish with respect to his team. Please stop.

I agree with you 100%!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday