PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Linebacking Corps: Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninkovitch is a complementary pass rusher as most LDE are. The haste to criticize comes from the AFCCG, where Love didn't dress, Chandler only played a few snaps in the 1Q, Wilfork was beat up, and the inexperienced secondary was torn apart with injuries including Taqib going down in the 2Q.

That left Ninko as the only one able to pass rush and he was doubled the rest of the game, neutralizing him.

The pass rush stats were better last season then at any time in the past few years, approaching the mid 30s,when yu want the low forties for a supeiro pass rsuh. But a dominating pass rush comes primarily from a three man crew RDE, LDE and a penetrating DT. The Pats still have only two pass rush legs in Jones and Ninko; and that is why the Kelly and Armistead acquisitions were made.

Once again BB knows what ails his team and has acted to cure the problem, while fans wail about the (untypical) injury filled AFCCG.

The comentary about a coverage LB is misplaced.

BB has aready acted to solve that problem. His three year acquisition of Adrian Wilson allows BB to implement his decade long attempt to create a "Big Nickle", with a big Safety playing in place of a coverage LB in sub coverages, while providing pass coverage bettter than any LB ever created.

AW may have lost a step covering outside WRs, but he has the size, smarts, and experience to cover a TE better than any LB. He also has displayed leadership on the Cards, just what is needed for this very young secondary.

Ninco is a good role player, but he is a little soft against the run and he doesn't get consistent pressure. He is a hit or miss guy while rushing the passer. His value to the Patriots is that he plays the Patriots scheme very well (except his soft run-stopping).

Thoughts: They can't cover in a pass happy NFL.

It is truly amazing how many do not know anything about this teams' defense.

Ninkovich did just about everything that one could ask for at left defensive end.

As far as labeling Ninkovich being a role player....LOL.

Everyone on the Patriots is a role player. Ninkovich was one of the impact role players who caused more turnovers than anyone in the front 7.

And, this is not a strong linebacking unit in passing situations. They need another 4-3 linebacker that can play three downs.

As far as I am concerned, Hightower and Spikes are good against the run but are mediocre to poor against the pass and there is no eye test or statistical perspective that disproves that.

The fact that the Pats are looking at the possibility of drafting a 4th linebacker proves that they are looking to upgrade at this spot.

Dane Fletcher - please......Anyone who thinks that Dane Fletcher is the solution should go buy his jersey in hopes that he is going to be with the Patriots much like how Myron Pryor is going to be a contributor on this defense as well.

With the exception of placing Ninko among the All-Pros, I agree with the rest of this;
however, Fletcher should be given one more year before being piled with Myron Pryor
into the dustbin of too-injured-to-stay history.

And aside from Hightower-Mayo-Spikes-Ninko being more suitable as a 3-4 than a 4-3
(the presence of Chandler Jones assures a 4-3 look, however), the other problems the LB
group possesses is an absence of a true coverage OLB - Fletcher is the best of a bad lot,
really - and the lack of anything close to resembling quality depth. None of our current
backups is qualified to play any meaningful snaps in sub packages.

This defense needs to become faster on the edges overall, and drafting at least one athletic LBer
with sideline-to-sideline coverage/tackling skills (and signing another as a UDFA I hope),
should give us a better chance of ending more drives sooner. And I believe that's a good thing.

A guy like Minter of LSU could be that coverage type LB this group needs.

Spikes is just too slow for the NFL.
He hits like a ton of bricks, though. But he's too slow, even for beach volleyball.

I believe Adrian Wilson as a BIG safety will help in TE/Back coverage and pass rush.

I much prefer Ninkovich playing DE then LB.

Fletcher improved in my eyes with playing time and I look forward to his return as it is a very thin linebacking group.

Koutouvides and Rivera are not roster locks and so Outside Linebacker could be a place to add a player.

I mostly follow the draft from this board and the various NE media outlets. From that perspective linebacker seems to have received very little attention.

I think we are stronger with Fletcher back and Wilson added, but I would be happy with the drafting of a linebacker. Initially I wanted a DT or DE drafted someplace in the 3 picks. Now I would prefer a LB. Luckily for everyone who enjoys Patriot football I have no influence over the draft decisions.

It is truly amazing how many do not know anything about this teams' defense.

Ninkovich did just about everything that one could ask for at left defensive end.

As far as labeling Ninkovich being a role player....LOL.

Everyone on the Patriots is a role player. Ninkovich was one of the impact role players who caused more turnovers than anyone in the front 7.

And, this is not a strong linebacking unit in passing situations. They need another 4-3 linebacker that can play three downs.

As far as I am concerned, Hightower and Spikes are good against the run but are mediocre to poor against the pass and there is no eye test or statistical perspective that disproves that.

The fact that the Pats are looking at the possibility of drafting a 4th linebacker proves that they are looking to upgrade at this spot.

Dane Fletcher - please......Anyone who thinks that Dane Fletcher is the solution should go buy his jersey in hopes that he is going to be with the Patriots much like how Myron Pryor is going to be a contributor on this defense as well.

No, there are two reasons why people think Ninkovich is good.
1. He'd occasionally put up splash stats and casual fans only follow the ball and see/remember turnovers
2. He's an underdog story and everyone wants them to succeed.

His occasional sacks when QBs run at him doesn't negate how BRUTAL he was against the run. We were elite defending the run from RDE, DT, NT and bottom 5 IIRC off LDE. We were absolutely terrible and teams with half a brain (not the Texans) would repeatedly and purposefully run straight at him.

I mean I remember watching the Texans game, they ran at him twice in the first quarter and it went for like an 8 and 15 yard gain, then they promptly ran right at Wilfork the rest of the game.

On top of that, consistent pressure is far more important than occasional sacks. Ninkovich would be completely invisible for the vast majority of the game and randomly have a sack because Wilfork would blow up the middle and force the QB right at him.

Ninkovich was basically a poor man's Freeney last season and Freeney was always overrated and mediocre himself.

Ninkovich is passable as a starter if upgrade the DT position next to Wilfork. As long as he's always the worst starter on the line we should be fine and I don't think it's an emergency that we needed to fix like Gregory at S.

But make no doubts, Belichick has been trying to upgrade the DT position and LDE position for a long time.

But make no doubts, Belichick has been trying to upgrade the DT position and LDE position for a long time.

I agree with this, and the prospect of some of these DL players not being retained at the end of the year will likely equal at least one DL pick in the top 3 rounds of this weekend's draft--so there are TWO reasons right off the top of my head.

Hell, Ninkovich himself may not be retained after this season, depending on his asking price. I like the guy a lot and he is a definitive player in our defense at times, but if someone believes that Belichick is satisfied with him being our full time DE for now and the future they are absolutely kidding themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News