PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last 5 Draft Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the player is that talented, I think they'd simplify the role. Despite what Belichick said about Moss being a very smart player, the fact is he ran a pretty limited route tree, but it didn't matter much because he was so good. I imagine the same may be true of Gordon, that he can create so much separation that Brady wants him on the field regardless of whether or not he can dot every i and cross every t. Having guys with off-the-charts athleticism, like Moss or Gordon, will add value to any offense, including the Patriots, as just running deep routes alone will put defenses on their heels with the motto: "You know what we're going to run, but that doesn't mean you can stop it." So, I'll modify my previous statement. I think if the Patriots had a shot at a truly elite talent, like a sure-fire top 5 pick, they would probably pull the trigger. As some have pointed out, though, when you get into the second half of round one, the actual talent level from picks 20-60 is often pretty similar and lacks obvious all-pro talent.
Agree and its not like they are drafting studs, flaming out here and kicking ass somewhere else.

Its evident they are doing three things.

1) Not drafting high-end WR talent
2) Drafting WRs that are not working out.
3) Bringing in pros from other programs hoping they are farther along in being Patriots WR material.

I think their reluctance to support the receiver position through the draft is very philosophical. Virtually no one coming out of college has needed to understand defenses and make route adjustments that are even close to the level of complexity required. They got burned when they traded up to draft Chad Jackson, and I really believe that changed the way they view wide receivers. We've seen them go through so many WRs over the years, many of whom are long time league veterans, who themselves couldn't grasp the concepts of the offense. To draft a player in the first round who is already dealing with a high risk of not being able to understand the system, in addition to all the other risks that comes with any draft pick, is why you're seeing them gamble on buy-low free agents instead of elite talent.

It's interesting that Patterson is in the discussion because a lot of people on this board wanted the Patriots to draft him in the first round, but I think it's clear now why that wouldn't have been a good pick.

Right, my point was getting high round talent with a few years experience in the league is basically better than the crap shoot of the draft... I've made this point before where everyone seems to over value draft picks . When you hit on one it's great..like gronk..! But too often you expect great return and it's simply unrealistic..

So belichick the genius understands this.. draft critics don't and to me look kinda dumb. Especially since 99% of it is after the fact.. hindsight. o_O

I think you’re actually undervaluing some players from 2000-2014. Mayo was definitely a pro bowl caliber player, as was Vollmer, and Edelman was voted as a Top 100 player by peers. Slater has been all-pro multiple years. On the next edition, Hightower is definitely in the pro bowl category while Garoppolo, considering his position, may very well become the most valuable draft pick of all of them.
Mayo was Not a consistent Pro-Bowl-calibre player; on the contrary, he is one of the most over-rated players here of the past 20 years, right up there with McCourty...and speaking of over-rated, don't get me started on Matt Slater...
And on what next edition is Hightower in the Pro Bowl category?
I think their reluctance to support the receiver position through the draft is very philosophical. Virtually no one coming out of college has needed to understand defenses and make route adjustments that are even close to the level of complexity required...
...which makes ignoring Golden Tate in favor of Germy Cunnyham one of the stupidest decisions in Bill's lengthy list of stupid draft-day decisions.

Mayo was Not a consistent Pro-Bowl-calibre player; on the contrary, he is one of the most over-rated players here of the past 20 years, right up there with McCourty...and speaking of over-rated, don't get me started on Matt Slater...

Not one of your better takes.

I get that. If the discussion is about how good the drafting is, I think you need to include those two.

Or have another category that indicates some value in the pick. Mitchell's first season or even his super bowl performance might of been worth the selection alone.

It's a pretty damning list, but still hard to square against the historical playoff run in that same time frame. Either BB over performs despite his inept drafting, or the guy really knows what he is doing.

Right, my point was getting high round talent with a few years experience in the league is basically better than the crap shoot of the draft... I've made this point before where everyone seems to over value draft picks . When you hit on one it's great..like gronk..! But too often you expect great return and it's simply unrealistic..

So belichick the genius understands this.. draft critics don't and to me look kinda dumb. Especially since 99% of it is after the fact.. hindsight. o_O

I wanted to add that.. The reason Belichicks method of acquiring wrs with a few years in the league is better (obviously.? ) is that many of the unknowns of college player handling the NFL are eliminated.. Since you now have film on them.... Brilliant..:) lol.

I thought this article was interesting.

The busts in the past three years have been REALLY busty. Kevin White didn't record a catch as a rookie. Laquon Treadwell is on a milk carton. Breshard Perriman was actually one of the better performers as a rookie, which says a lot. Comparing the 2015-17 classes against the 2011-13 classes isn't really a comparison.

Draft years

Number of first-round receivers

Average receiving yards per season

2011-2013

601.2 yards

2015-2017

320.8 yards

That's basically half the production with more receivers involved. But here's an economic theory to consider: After the boom of 2014, and with the increased emphasis on the passing game, was it possible/likely teams were investing more and more draft capital into wide receivers? You better believe it.

Where have the wideouts gone? Explaining the recent bust rate for first-round WRs

...which makes ignoring Golden Tate in favor of Germy Cunnyham one of the stupidest decisions in Bill's lengthy list of stupid draft-day decisions.

LMAO

You've had 8 years to come up with a nickname that impugnes his manhood, intelligence, and/or character, and you come up with...Cunnyham? You just replaced "ing" with "y", and that is a terrible derogatory nickname, Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back