PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last 5 Draft Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
These are the facts of how the last 5 draft classes currently stand. Players in red are not on the 53 man roster. Players in green are starters or starting caliber (IMO). What you make of these results are your own choice, I am only providing the information.

2018 1 Isaiah Wynn IR

2018 1 Sony Michel On 53 man roster, has 2 games played with mixed reviews on performance
2018 2 Duke Dawson IR
2018 5 Ja'Whaun Bentley Played well now on IR
2018 6 Christian Sam Cut on PS
2018 6 Braxton Berrios IR
2018 7 Danny Etling Cut on PS

2018 7 Keion Crossen Play 1 career snap on defense
2018 7 Ryan Izzo Cut on PS
2017 3 Derek Rivers Play in 1 of 19 possible games
2017 3 Antonio Garcia Cut
2017 4 Deatrich Wise Solid sub pass rusher
2017 6 Conor McDermott Cut
2016 2 Cyrus Jones Cut and recently resigned
2016 3 Joe Thuney Solid starting OG
2016 3 Jacoby Brissett Traded
2016 3 Vincent Valentine Cut on PS
2016 4 Malcolm Mitchell Cut
2016 6 Kamu Grugier-Hill Cut

2016 6 Elandon Roberts Solid depth LB
2016 6 Ted Karras Solid backup OL
2016 7 Devin Lucien Cut
2015 1 Malcom Brown Solid starter
2015 2 Jordan Richards Traded
2015 3 Geneo Grissom On the roster, good special teams player
2015 4 Trey Flowers Top tier starting DL
2015 4 Tre' Jackson Cut
2015 4 Shaq Mason Top tier starting OG
2015 5 Joe Cardona Good LS

2015 6 Matthew Wells Traded
2015 6 A.J. Derby Cut
2015 7 Darryl Roberts Cut
2015 7 Xzavier ****son Cut
2014 1 Dominique Easley Cut
2014 2 Jimmy Garoppolo Traded
2014 4 Bryan Stork Cut

2014 4 James White On the roster, top-tier 3DRB
2014 4 Cameron Fleming Lost in FA
2014 6 Jon Halapio Cut
2014 6 Zach Moore Cut
2014 6 Jemea Thomas Cut
2014 7 Jeremy Gallon Cut

7/42 players are Green 16.66%
28/42 players are Red 66.66%
7/42 players are Unrated 16.66%

Last edited:
It is worth noting that the draft picks success rate has dropped considerably since Aaron Hernandez arrest in 2013. It could suggest a change in drafting philosophy or it could be a coincidence.

Injury issues to players in their rookie seasons definitely impact that but it's not been good. Ultimately, you want to hit on at least a quarter of those picks, if not more. Jury is still very much out on this year's draft class, though. But the injuries/bad luck and misses have definitely hurt this team. I don't think anyone that's not absolutely hammered drunk would argue that (although I can think of a couple that are already on your trail in this thread who will try).

you’ll be needing to update this list to put michel in green.

I think... hope... ultimately you'll be right. The offense could really use it. Hopefully it's just a matter of him getting his legs back after missing the preseason.

I think... hope... ultimately you'll be right. The offense could really use it. Hopefully it's just a matter of him getting his legs back after missing the preseason.

I mean he’s got Malcolm Brown in green. He’s been awful this year and prior years has he been anything special? To me he’s in green due to being a starting DT. Well, michel is alsp a starter going forward with white.

Not having Wynn and Garcia right now is a tough blow.
Wynn is. Garcia hasn't amounted to anything. And I say that as someone that had hopes for him.

I mean he’s got Malcolm Brown in green. He’s been awful this year and prior years has he been anything special? To me he’s in green due to being a starting DT. Well, michel is alsp a starter going forward with white.
He’ll be in red after this season.

The only changes I would make is putting Jimmy G. and maybe Brissett in green. JG is clearly starting caliber and Pats recovered value via trade. Brissett was also traded for Dorsett who is a starting WR.

This doesn't change my overall conclusion that recent drafting has been less than ideal, especially with regard to impact players.

Wynn is. Garcia hasn't amounted to anything. And I say that as someone that had hopes for him.
There's no telling if he'd be good, but we have a good track record with developing linemen and they seem to be high on him. Tough break to lose him all together.

You would put him in green as we stand today?

Well technically he’s starting due to Rex. And you’ll be ahead of the curve if you do.

I hope we're not scratching our heads again next May. The Patriots have one
#1 pick, two #2 picks, and three #3 picks. The time has come to trade up to enhance the picks rather than trade down and collect #6 picks and #7 picks.

giphy.gif

The only changes I would make is putting Jimmy G. and maybe Brissett in green. JG is clearly starting caliber and Pats recovered value via trade. Brissett was also traded for Dorsett who is a starting WR.

This doesn't change my overall conclusion that recent drafting has been less than ideal, especially with regard to impact players.
Red just indicates they are not on the roster.

But if you want to look at Garoppolo he has started and finished 9 games in 5 years, the legend of Jimmy has far exceeded the actuality of Jimmy.

Dorsett is a starting WR because we have nobody else, once Edelman comes back and if Gordon performs to his talent level Dorsett becomes the #4 WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back