PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lane Kiffin for OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides having crappy organizations, coaches and players to work with in CLE and MIA why do you think Daboll sucks?

I've never been a fan of his in-game adjustments while watching his teams in Miami and KC. I will say, though, that he seems to have an eye for talent. IIRC, wasn't he the guy that objected to Chad Jackson as a draft pick but ultimately was overruled by BB and McDaniels?

Yeah I'd say it's doubtful but he was KCs OC in 2010.
Yep.

Didn't he serve a year as OC at Florida b/c his son was a GA there?

Mods,

Can we merge the 300 threads of "lets make X OC/DC"

This is getting ridiculous

I've never been a fan of his in-game adjustments while watching his teams in Miami and KC. I will say, though, that he seems to have an eye for talent. IIRC, wasn't he the guy that objected to Chad Jackson as a draft pick but ultimately was overruled by BB and McDaniels?

Thats fine. I don't have an opinion on BD as an OC one way or another. I'm assuming BB knows him well enough to believe he will do a good job here....

Yes-He was not a fan of CJ.

Why did I have to start the Jim Tom Sula thread... What have I done... :oops:

Daboll was one of several people who objected to Jackson. Many of the scouts did also..

So many variables to consider, but I think you may be overthinking this issue:

1) Does McDaniels even end up leaving? He's paid handsomely, has a great rapport with Kraft, Belichick, and Brady, and is experiencing a once in a lifetime opportunity. He didn't take any interviews last week, and some of those positions have been/are being filled. It would appear as though JMcD isn't quite as concerned about leaving as some may have you believe. Hopefully, he won't have the opportunity again for another couple of weeks, and by then even more positions will have been filled.

2) It would depend on whether Lane Kiffen would even want to leave. He's coaching with (arguably) the best college coach that there is at a major program which is always in the thick of the championship hunt.

3) It would depend whether Bill Belichick would want him here. He's been a bit of a controversial coach, and comes off as a bit arrogant to me. Is this the kind of coach that Belichick normally targets?

4) The difference in systems obviously comes into play here.

5) We don't really "need" an OC, per se. At least not in the sense that they can't wait a year or two to groom/choose their replacement.

6) If McDaniels leaves, my guess is that we'd promote someone from within who knows the system well.
I think I agree with everything except that McDaniels would pass up a HC job to stay OC, with 2 exceptions. 1) There is an agreed upon succession plan and BB has commited to retiring soon which I doubt or 2) The only offer is with a disaster of a franchise, like Cleveland, although that would be 'home' for Josh.

Just let Tommy call the plays and boss everyone around. I think he gets it at this point.

The last thing we need is to change this offense at this time ... what would be the point?
The offense can and will be changed post Brady and/or if Brady's skills diminish too much.
If McDaniels leaves then Daboll gets the job ... perhaps with a few tweaks but no need for great change at all.
Its not so much the outsider thing as it is being a complete **** in every possible way thing.

I think I agree with everything except that McDaniels would pass up a HC job to stay OC, with 2 exceptions. 1) There is an agreed upon succession plan and BB has commited to retiring soon which I doubt or 2) The only offer is with a disaster of a franchise, like Cleveland, although that would be 'home' for Josh.
There are head coaching jobs and there are head o
Thing is, most of the head coaching jobs are disasters. That's why the openings are there.

Iam sure one of our gameday thread fellows will feel they can do the job next yr if JMcD leaves.

There are head coaching jobs and there are head o

Thing is, most of the head coaching jobs are disasters. That's why the openings are there.
I don't agree. I don't mean its a disaster because of personnel. You have to take that job and coach up your players, assess them properly and identify needs. That's part of the job. I have never thought a coach is excused because of a lack of talent because he is supposed to evaluate, coach up, and fix the roster.
A good coach will sh0w progress when stuck with a bad roster to start.
I consider a disaster to be ownership issues, front office dysfunction and particularly an incompetent GM in charge of buying the groceries.

No thanks. Isn't he an angry headcase?

Wait. This thread is actually serious? Weird.

As long as Brady is here, McDaniels will be here. He's only 39 years old, working with the greatest HC and QB of all time. Why would he want to leave while the party is still going on?

I don't agree. I don't mean its a disaster because of personnel. You have to take that job and coach up your players, assess them properly and identify needs. That's part of the job. I have never thought a coach is excused because of a lack of talent because he is supposed to evaluate, coach up, and fix the roster.
A good coach will sh0w progress when stuck with a bad roster to start.
I consider a disaster to be ownership issues, front office dysfunction and particularly an incompetent GM in charge of buying the groceries.
Right. The only way a job (IMO) is a good opportunity is A) a good, committed owner who is going to show patience and not interfere, B) a GM who is either completely in sync with you or IS you or is chosen BY you. But see, it appears to me that hardly any of the head coaching opportunities meet this criteria. Which is one of the primary reasons they all fail over and over again while BB has 15 straight winning seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST