PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kudos To The Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have been critical of the FO for not keeping an addition position defensive back on the 53 man roster. I have been critical of cutting Poteat. Those are still my opinions. It seems that this has been an issue for several years. And yes, I know that Gay, Jones and Mitchell went to IR. That fact didn't require us to reduce the number of defensive backs on the IR.

We are using a wide receiver as our nickel, and a special teamer as our starting safety.

Times are bleak???? No, they aren't!! We are the #4,#5, or #6 team in the AFC, most likely headed for the playoffs. We will hopefully be healthier at that time than now. Certainly the rooks and freea gents will be more experiecned. We are leading the conference in points allowed. We are among the top teams (are we still #1?) in red team opportunities allowed. Bend and don't break has worked for us. Saving the roster spot(s) for other needs has also worked. We certainly needed the extra spot we used for the OL. And perhaps Sanders is developing very well, and will be a quality starting safety in the future.

Some of us have greatly underestimated the quality of the secondary pickups in the last couple of years: Chad Scott, Hawkins, Hobbs and Sanders. They ALL started last week. Most will soon be replaced soon as starters, but they are all at least certainly quality depth. And, of course, special kudos to our nickel back: Troy Brown.

Some of us have greatly underestimated the quality of the secondary pickups in the last couple of years: Chad Scott, Hawkins, Hobbs and Sanders. They ALL started last week. Most will soon be replaced soon as starters, but they are all at least certainly quality depth. And, of course, special kudos to our nickel back: Troy Brown.[/QUOTE]

* I still find the DB's suspect, but what does it say that the guy the Patriots put on the Packers best WR is a WR himself? -:)

Any leaks from the Kremlin on the injury front? I know Rodney will be out a few more weeks. But, what about Samuel and Wilson?

The backups have filled in nicely. Hawkins play has been a revelation. Nobody even noticed when we signed Scott. Would be nice to have #24
back there. Other than that foot injury in 04. Ty was a durable player.
Just can't seem to keep our guys on the field.

I agree..the backfield has done quite good....3 starters out..Hobbs with a broken wrist and..they did fine... I hope Scott is OK...he really si needed back there..with everyone else out. Wilson has been out a bit..maybe the week for his return! We really ened a strong backfield for the next month or so...In a way that is more important than now..but..this game is REALLY important!!

Although I agree that the secondary has gone above and beyond as of late, the continued decimation of our backfield to injury continues to be my biggest concern on this team (followed by the age of the linebackers). How many times does the starting backfield have to end up on the injury report or IR before a change in philosophy is made? 5'9", 180lb. db's cannot continuously slam their bodies against 6'2" 220lb receivers without suffering injury. The mismatch is worsened when these smurfs are asked to tackle the tight ends that now proliferate the league. To me, the time to dramatically upsize the secondary has passed, by three years to be exact. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes