PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft on Game Day

What if Zappe pulls a rabbit out of his rear end and do a number on KC- Denver and Buffalo?? The latter two are playing for their playoffs lives. Would that change our approach to the Draft we go WR or Offensive Tackle early instead of QB??
Won't happen. But if it does, then winning out would essentially save Zappe for at least one season because he would probably pull us way out of range for the premier QB's without a trade up. Who knows what happens at that point. It will probably come down to who is on the board.

But longterm it would be disaster tbh

TB12 was the (Brock Purdy) in his QB infancy.. everything around him was near perfect, especially on defense. Coaching was top notch. He became a proficient passer as his career went on. Brady was Mr. Efficiency early on.. they ran the ball a hell of lot too.
I wouldn't say that. Purdy has a legit defense, but he also has a stacked offense that early Tom Brady couldn't dream of. CMC is arguably the best skill position player in the league. Hill and Kelce are the only arguments against him. Then Deebo is a top 5 WR. Then Kittle is a top 3 TE. Then Aiyuk is probably the best WR2 in the league aside from maybe Waddle.

Then you could seriously argue that Bosa and Warner are two of the top 5 defensive players in the league.

I wouldn't say that. Purdy has a legit defense, but he also has a stacked offense that early Tom Brady couldn't dream of. CMC is arguably the best skill position player in the league. Hill and Kelce are the only arguments against him. Then Deebo is a top 5 WR. Then Kittle is a top 3 TE. Then Aiyuk is probably the best WR2 in the league aside from maybe Waddle.

Then you could seriously argue that Bosa and Warner are two of the top 5 defensive players in the league.
You have to remember this was 2001 NFL teams were run heavy and 2 WR sets primarily. Brady had the coaching and defensive advantages each week. I used Purdy for an example as all he has to do is really manage the game. However he has an excellent all pro supporting cast. Our defense was super legit. Seymour, law, Milloy, Roman Phifer, Ted Johnson, bruschi, Vrabel... yeah.. we were stout. Brady showed early on he was a winner.. like Purdy has shown.

You have to remember this was 2001 NFL teams were run heavy and 2 WR sets primarily. Brady had the coaching and defensive advantages each week. I used Purdy for an example as all he has to do is really manage the game. However he has an excellent all pro supporting cast. Our defense was super legit. Seymour, law, Milloy, Roman Phifer, Ted Johnson, bruschi, Vrabel... yeah.. we were stout. Brady showed early on he was a winner.. like Purdy has shown.
Even so, in 2001 the Patriots best rusher was ranked 12th in the league in yards and was outside the top 20 in yards per attempt. Then Brown was the 10th ranked WR interms of yards and barely figured in terms of TD's. Purdy is in a perfect situation right now.

Even so, in 2001 the Patriots best rusher was ranked 12th in the league in yards and was outside the top 20 in yards per attempt. Then Brown was the 10th ranked WR interms of yards and barely figured in terms of TD's. Purdy is in a perfect situation right now.
Agreed. I was comparing him as a winner early on as Brady was. Wins are the most important stat for a QB. The entire scope of the NFL was different defensive guys could do whatever they wanted. The QB position is a lot easier than in the early 2000s.

So if I owe the bank 13.5 thousand and refinance to borrow more money I no longer owe that original balance? You must be a financial wizard.

The 2020 roster sucked. This after signing a bunch of free agents they couldn’t afford unless they pushed more cap debt down the road.

Your answer for everything… borrow more.

The Patriots aren’t the US government, they can’t keep printing money. There’s a salary cap, it’s the “cap” in the term salary cap which is confounding you.

Brady had a few good seasons left, taking time to rebuild the Patriots would have wasted that, plus his wife wasn’t going to support that.
The **** you rambling about now?

Won't happen. But if it does, then winning out would essentially save Zappe for at least one season because he would probably pull us way out of range for the premier QB's without a trade up. Who knows what happens at that point. It will probably come down to who is on the board.

But longterm it would be disaster tbh
If Zappe turned into a starting NFL QB it would be disastrous?

If Zappe turned into a starting NFL QB it would be disastrous?
Zappe having a decent streak and being a starting caliber team we should bet our future on and forego better options would be a huge franchise set back.

I know any level of nuance breaks your glass brain, so I guess it has to be spelled out to you. As of right now he gets shut out 75% of the time he starts

When you have no answers, feign ignorance.

There’s a salary cap, this isn’t baseball.
As opposed to you not having to feign ignorance because you don't have to fake something that is actually there?

Zappe having a decent streak and being a starting caliber team we should bet our future on and forego better options would be a huge franchise set back.

I know any level of nuance breaks your glass brain, so I guess it has to be spelled out to you. As of right now he gets shut out 75% of the time he starts
He has started 4 games and is 3-1... pretty poor interpretation of stats. Especially since that one loss was in the pouring rain and was his first of the season.

The Patriots are going to draft a QB regardless of how well Zappe plays, they'll want competition in camp and Mac will be gone.

You've already stated your opinion, Zappe sucks and will never be good.

But that's not what I asked you, I asked what if you are wrong (possible believe it or not) and Zappe lit up the scoreboard going forward and proved he was a starting NFL QB... how would that be disastrous?

As opposed to you not having to feign ignorance because you don't have to fake something that is actually there?
This ^ is gibberish. If you can prove something, make your case.

The Patriots started the 2020 offseason with the third most dead cap in the league and a terrible roster. I've already provided an article with a link stating that very thing.

You guy yammering on about salary cap is laughably misguided when you can't even admit their situation before the offseason began.

This ^ is gibberish. If you can prove something, make your case.

The Patriots started the 2020 offseason with the third most dead cap in the league and a terrible roster. I've already provided an article with a link stating that very thing.

You guy yammering on about salary cap is laughably misguided when you can't even admit their situation before the offseason began.
Oh you provided a link for something I'm not questioning. ************. You can't even stay on track

Bill has always handled the salary cap different than some teams; he doesn't like to borrow too much into the future which some teams do. He admitted at a presser one day when he said you can manipulate the cap. He's just more conservative and doesn't like to do it. It worked for 20 years with TB but it's not working without a good QB.

Bill has always handled the salary cap different than some teams; he doesn't like to borrow too much into the future which some teams do. He admitted at a presser one day when he said you can manipulate the cap. He's just more conservative and doesn't like to do it. It worked for 20 years with TB but it's not working without a good QB.
Show me a team that wins with bad QB play and this will make sense.

One game maybe, consistently… no way.

Show me a team that wins with bad QB play and this will make sense.

One game maybe, consistently… no way.
It doesn't, that's why we are where we are. It worked with TB but not now, he had to change his thinking and didn't.

It doesn't, that's why we are where we are. It worked with TB but not now, he had to change his thinking and didn't.
He needs to find his QB, like every coach in history. Play Zappe, draft another one, draft two.

How the Patriots handle the salary cap is irrelevant, and the smartest way if you want to build a consistent winner with fewer peaks and valleys.

He needs to find his QB, like every coach in history. Play Zappe, draft another one, draft two.

How the Patriots handle the salary cap is irrelevant, and the smartest way if you want to build a consistent winner with fewer peaks and valleys.
Agreed

I would just add the Eagles signed AJ Brown and Dolphins traded for Tyreek because they thought (knew) they had their QB and their QB’s were still on rookie deals making peanuts.

You add your shiny hood ornament superweapon last, when you have all the other elements needed to win and money to do so.

The Eagles had that, not sure the Dolphins do… the Raiders most certainly didn’t. The Adams signing for the Raiders was outright stupid at the time, so was signing Chandler Jones. They needed vast improvements and spent their wad on a couple players.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back